Reading Log 2017

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I've been gone a long time. My husband had a quadruple bypass (twice!) a couple of years ago, and I was diagnosed with stage 2 colon cancer last year. Had to stop my chemo because of neuropathy, but while I was having it, I read a lot! I enjoyed the Bianca Goddard mystery series by Mary Lawrence (Death of an Alchemist, etc). Also enjoyed a couple of Karen MacInerney's series, but, I must say, Whale of a Crime had a huge number of mistakes in it. Don't publishers use proofreaders any more?! Typos, words missing, wrong words, she called a detective him and her in the same paragraph! I see things like this all the time in books, but this was more than usual.

I'm reading The Grapes of Wrath now. I like it better than the movie. One of my doctors is reading it, and he wanted me to read it, too. He's from Oklahoma, and is having a hard time with all the "Okies" being portrayed as so undeucated. Happy reading!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
ChristmasRose, welcome back.

I am reading "Baxter Family Christmas" by Karen Kingsbury. I am halfway through and am enjoying it.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Currently reading ESCAPE FROM DANNEMORA.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Welcome back, ChristmasRose. You have your hands full, but it is great that you are finding time to read.

I haven't been around for a while, but I have been reading. None of it is anything anyone would find exciting, so won't bore you with the details. I am finally starting to read some novels again and have my hands on the new Debbie Macomber - If Not For You. I am really looking forward to it.

Happy Reading!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mel, just finished If Not For You. You will enjoy it.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Finished Ragdoll by Daniel Cole. Good police book but not quite the ending I thought. I'd say 4/5 in the rating

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Just finished Debbie Macomber's new book and loved it! :):):)

Not sure what to read next, will check my bookshelf to see what catches my eye.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I finished The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield and really enjoyed it! Now i'm reading The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer and I haven't really gotten into it yet. Maybe I just haven't read far enough in yet. I'm also reading Homicide in Hardcover by Kate Carlisle, again not that into it yet, maybe for the same reason. I may just scrap both of them and get something else. We'll see.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Just finished "Against all odds" by Danielle Steel. It was not a bad read.
Having finished that I have reached my goal of reading 10 books this year, so one of my goals for 2017 ticked off the list.

JeniferDwn

MHH Member
Jul 21, 2010
Florence SC
www.jeniferdwn.blogspot.com
I gave up on the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I have them all in one book and it is huge. I'm going to the library so see if I can get individuals. I decided to start again on Wicked. I couldn't get into it last time, but hope to more this time. I also got the set of Sisters Grimm that I want to read and a friends daughter gave me Echo to read. The third book i'm reading is Three Bags Full. It's very cute as its a murder mystery and its told from the sheeps view. Their shepherd is murdered and they are trying to solve the mystery of who did it. (that's not a spoiler, its on the back of the book).
the rest of my list for summer is
Gone with the Wind
Lord of the Rings
Hobbit

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Just finished the first book by Julie Klassen Lady Milkweed Manor it is about a vicar's daughter that becomes pregnant and is shunned by her Father. This 18th century setting send the girl to a place in London where unwed mothers are kept out of sight, the character makes many sacrifices and the story takes you on quite a journey.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

So far this year I have read and enjoyed ...

The Trespasser by Tana French

These three were all in one volume that I checked out from the library. Not my usual style to read three in a row of one author but it's a good series.
  • Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger
  • Boundary Waters by William Kent Krueger
  • Purgatory Ridge by William Kent Krueger
A Fall of Marigolds by Susan Meissner

I'm currently reading The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I have just finished Mount by Jilly Cooper- complete trashy fiction- but great to enjoy on the beach. Not a single word of truth in the entire novel but easy to read and fun- no concentration required!
Ah! You reminded me to look for a "beach read" next. I need something light, lovely and fun. I looked at Mount but ended up downloading a free Kindle book which was also listed.

Reactions: tanya

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I just finished reading Iron Lake. I'd read more of the series. I order Three Bags Full and Lady Milkweed Manor from the library. Thanks for the ideas.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Let's see. After The Chemist, I read:

The Sun is Also A Star
by Nicola Yoon
Nightshade for Warning by Bailey Cattrell
Old Acquaintance by Terri Reid
Took by Mary Downing Hahn (one of DD's book fair books)
Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon

Now i'm getting ready to start:

Spin A Wicked Web by Cricket McCrae
Title Wave by Lorna Barrett

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Just finished reading "Drowning Ruth" by Christina Schwarz. It was an old Oprah Book Club book that I picked up at a yard sale for $1.00, hard cover. It was a little slow and wordy at times, but I pushed through and I am glad I did. I feel like I need something a little lighter now, a quick easy read. I have a copy of "A Can of Peas" by Traci Depree that has been gathering dust on my shelf, maybe I will start that one.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I just finished reading Iron Lake. I'd read more of the series. I order Three Bags Full and Lady Milkweed Manor from the library. Thanks for the ideas.
Not in this series but the first book of his I read was Ordinary Grace which was very good.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Am half way through "the Nightingale" by Kristen Hannah. A really good read.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Katrina - I loved The Nightingale. I was thinking about it last night.

I have been reading a bunch of Christmas novels on my Kindle, they are short and don't require a lot of brain power. :p:cool::confused:;)

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Picked up 2 more books from the library today.