Gift closet 2017

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Stopped back into the local thrift store, they are in their final week before packing up and moving. Everythingi in the store is 75% off. Picked up a couple small gifts and some new Christmas and Winter decorations for me :)

There was a couple other things that I was debating about so I may go back before they close to see if the other items are still there. Of course after I leave the store i think of the perfect person for those items LOL.

Reactions: jollykelly

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Since going gluten free, one of the things I cannot duplicate is a glazed and chocolate glazed Krispy Kreme donut.

Reactions: Minta

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I went to the semi annual sale at Bath and Body Works as well. I am now completed with all of the little gifts that I get for family members from my DD! Major accomplishment to be done with that section of the gift list in June! I picked up lotion, shower gel and a body spray for $3 each in the same scents. They bundle together in their cellophane, ribbon and bow for free, so each little bundle was only $9 and looks so cute. I got two sets put together. They also had their 3 wick candles on sale for $11, and I got a vanilla bean and warm vanilla sugar. The vanilla bean I am keeping for myself and the warm vanilla sugar is a gift from DD to her GM

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Kelly, the last time I was in BBW was in 2014 and my favourite scent was the warm vanilla sugar. DD and I have run out of it now and it will definitely be on my shopping list for next time I go.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Going through my vanity today and I have found some things that I am not going to use. I will pop them all in a box and when the time comes pop the under the Christmas giving tree. I have already got a few things packed away but I would like to have more before Christmas. DD has heard of a dog rescue group in our suburb so I am thinking that they may be the charity that we support this year.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Katrina,

A while ago you mentioned Twinkledeals.

Did your stuff arrive yet? What was the quality like? I have seen a dress on the site that I quite like- already thinking ahead to end of year activities and I need something for Luke's graduation. I don't want anything that one of the other Mum's is likely to arrive in.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I know Kmart do layaways year round but their prices are usually higher unless you catch a good sale and several smarts are closing so not everyone has one near by.

We used to have KMart about 35 miles from us. Now, the closest one is about 75 miles. I miss KMart!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
We now do a christmas club where i faithfully put money into each month and all of that goes towards Christmas shopping.

We do a Christmas club, too. Do you ever consider skipping a month if you find things you want to pick up during the year or reducing it by however much those items cost? I've considered it, but have never done it. It's so ingrained in my structure of getting prepared for Christmas to put that money in there every month...Change is hard!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Jane,

No I never skip a month in my Christmas club. Sometimes I do pick up gifts through out the year but I try to budget in a small cushion every month for extras. I am afraid if I skip a month I will be short on money come Christmas. If there is money left over after all the gifts are bought then I will either tuck what money is left away to use for the after Christmas sales and/or use it for an unplanned family outing.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I am afraid if I skip a month I will be short on money come Christmas.

That's the same reason I don't do it. lol But, I think, "If I've already bought that gift, I won't have to have that money in the CC for that gift." I don't know...I just can't make my mind believe it! Glad to know I'm not the only one who's afraid if I skip a month, I will come up short.:eek:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Katrina,

A while ago you mentioned Twinkledeals.

Did your stuff arrive yet? What was the quality like? I have seen a dress on the site that I quite like- already thinking ahead to end of year activities and I need something for Luke's graduation. I don't want anything that one of the other Mum's is likely to arrive in.

Tanya. The stuff arrived quite quickly. The quality of the necklace I bought is not fabulous. The teeshirt I bought is nice but time will tell what the quality is like. It is a "lacey" summer type teeshirt so it will be a while before I wear it. It runs a little small so if I ordered again I would need the bigger size.
The worst thing about the whole experience, and this may be completely co incidental, my email has been full of spam and junk email ever since I signed up to Twinkledeals. Totally annoying.
The goods I bought were certainly cheap and the free international posting is a plus, but the quality is certainly not there IMO

Reactions: Minta and tanya

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I still put money in my Christmas Club every fortnight. It actually comes straight out of my bank so I don't miss it.
We are able to access the money on November 1st giving us plenty of time before Christmas to pick up things. I usually give the kids a gift of money and it comes out of this account. Anything left over I use for the post Christmas sales or to take the family out to dinner before Christmas..

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks Katrina... I guess I will pass. I like the dress but am not in love with it if you know what I mean. Guess I will keep looking. I just want something I know I will not be sitting next to! if that makes sense.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
That's the same reason I don't do it. lol But, I think, "If I've already bought that gift, I won't have to have that money in the CC for that gift." I don't know...I just can't make my mind believe it! Glad to know I'm not the only one who's afraid if I skip a month, I will come up short.:eek:

YUP!! I know to many that are stressed at Christmas because they didn't save enough or didn't save up anything at all and try to figure out how they were going to get their Christmas shopping done. No thanks .. I have enough to worry about without adding that into the mix.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have not really put any gifts in the closet for a little while. I have been concentrating on buying cooking products for all the baking we will do around Christmas.
I have written a list of upcoming release DVDs that will be out later this year. Most of them will be out in late August/September so that will certainly add to the gifts.
Need to sit down with the kids at some stage and ask of at this stage they have any ideas about what the might want as their gifts.
DS has a birthday in July so I will need to look at buying a few things for that.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
We like unusual ice cubes here- just added some Emoji ice cube trays to the stocking stuffers list.

Also a personalised teacher stamp for me- it says Ms White says Well Done- great gift idea for any teachers you know. Its coming from China so it will take a while but friends have ordered them and they have been really pleased. You can get any wording you like and a variety of pictures to choose from. It was under $7 AUD including free postage.

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I just found an experience gift for DD27. I am getting her a membership to the Minneapolis/St Paul Film Society. This will allow her to attend festival and screen some film etc.

DS and family will get a membership to the Washington Pavilion in Sioux Falls SD It is an Arts, ( movies, theater, symphony, and dance) Science and Education center.

I just need to find something similar for DD 30 and DS25. I am doing gifts of experiences this year and 1 item under the tree for each. Keeping things simple. Just wanting to be together.

Reactions: housewife2

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jody, what great ideas. Is there a zoo or a gardens that you could get a pass to? I love visiting our zoo but find it quite expensive.