Looking after our weight

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Update: Today is day 20 with no soda, and day 15 of my self induced No Junk Food Challenge! I've been walking more, using my weights 3-4 nights a week and have started exercising again in the morning before work.

Make small changes, take one day at a time. A small something is better than doing nothing...

Good job Nancy! That's awesome!

Reactions: Christmaslvr

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I have had another year of weight gains with dieting! The dietitian thought my 'regular diet' (high in vegetables, pescetarian based with a typical increase in protein and sugars during the holidays) was excellent and I 'should' be doing well.
I have made an appointment with a naturopath doctor as I am so fed up! Hoping they can provide some insight to my ever expanding form.

I have tried Paleo/AIP Paleo, Keto, Vegan, rotation/elimination diets, Joe Cross/juicing diet and fasting/IF - I will lose a few pounds after a couple weeks - then balloon back (gave each diet 6 months, except the juicing diet - did for 30 days).

Exercise I am limited due to MVA injuries, but I can walk, and do walk often - completing 5k on work days with 10k a weekend walk. I do yoga and Tai Chi this fall startup.
I know it's not 'intensive' exercise but you'd think if weight loss was as simple as calories in and calories burned ...

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I have had another year of weight gains with dieting! The dietitian thought my 'regular diet' (high in vegetables, pescetarian based with a typical increase in protein and sugars during the holidays) was excellent and I 'should' be doing well.
I have made an appointment with a naturopath doctor as I am so fed up! Hoping they can provide some insight to my ever expanding form.

I have tried Paleo/AIP Paleo, Keto, Vegan, rotation/elimination diets, Joe Cross/juicing diet and fasting/IF - I will lose a few pounds after a couple weeks - then balloon back (gave each diet 6 months, except the juicing diet - did for 30 days).

Exercise I am limited due to MVA injuries, but I can walk, and do walk often - completing 5k on work days with 10k a weekend walk. I do yoga and Tai Chi this fall startup.
I know it's not 'intensive' exercise but you'd think if weight loss was as simple as calories in and calories burned ...

Get your Thyroid checked. I know at least 4 ladies who had similar issues. The did have thyroids checked but not all Dr's order a full testing- lots here just do partial which can apparently come back normal. Once they got the full testing done and onto the right meds... weight fell off them. The below article explains.

http://hypothyroidmom.com/10-tips-to-lose-weight-with-a-low-thyroid-problem/

I know it says weight loss tips but it describes the actual testing needed.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Tam, I was going to suggest the same thing as Tanya.

I'm still doing Weight Watchers. I've lost 16.6 pounds since the first Thursday in June. Hopefully, I can continue to stick with it.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Thanks Tanya and Jane! Yes, I've had the 'basic' workup for thyroid, always appears 'within normal' - but not as detailed as the list suggests. Will ask for a more complete blood work.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Tam, I was going to suggest the same thing as Tanya.

I'm still doing Weight Watchers. I've lost 16.6 pounds since the first Thursday in June. Hopefully, I can continue to stick with it.

That's awesome Jane!! Keep up the great work!

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Thanks Tanya and Jane! Yes, I've had the 'basic' workup for thyroid, always appears 'within normal' - but not as detailed as the list suggests. Will ask for a more complete blood work.

I hope you get the answers you need! It has to be so frustrating!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We have a family history of diabetes so I'm trying to watch my carb intake and maintain a healthy weight. This past Christmas, the holiday eating pushed me over with the weight increase.

Some things that are helping me are:
  • I try not to eat after 7 pm.
  • If I do get a sweet craving, I find a piece of gum, Tic Tac (mini piece of candy) or a chocolate chip (not cookie but an actual chip) helps with the sugar craving.
  • In the winter, I keep 2 L of water on the counter. It serves as a visual reminder to drink water. Since it is room temperature, it makes it easier to drink on a cold day.
  • In the summer, I like to put fruit slices in my water. I also drink flavored seltzer water as a "treat" to myself. It has the carbonation of a soda but without the sugars.
  • Because I have to watch my carb intake, I go for whole fat or low fat dairy. I have to balance out the carbs with a protein and that helps.
  • Portion control is key. Sometimes I drink a full glass of water before a meal and then try to stick to one serving of carbs, vegetables and protein.
  • I give myself an incentive for exercising. For example, after I'm done exercising I can check emails or I can read my book or something along those lines.
I'm going to "third" the motion to get your thyroid checked out. My s-i-l gained 20 lbs. in 2yrs. She runs a half marathon and several 5Ks a year. She thought it was part of the aging process. She had gone into the doctor for one thing but while there, the doctor noticed how swollen her neck was and suspected it was her thyroid. Testing was done. One of the things she was diagnosed with is called Hashimoto's disease. She is on medication now and she has cut out gluten. She's noticed a huge difference in her energy level. If she has gluten, as in a slice of pizza, she crashes and just wants to sleep.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
thanks Holiday_Mom. There are some great hints there. I like the idea of putting the water on the bench. My kitchen is central in my house. If I have the water out it may be a visual cue for me to drink. Will try it.

Last edited:

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I fell off the Weight Watchers wagon & am hoping to climb back on.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
My outdoor swimming is coming to an end. It's my 2nd summer and after it's over I never make it to the indoor pool for class. I'm bound to make that happen when I'm not working!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Laura, it is not too late. Get back on the wagon and try again.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
It is nearly spring here so time to get into shape. Getting to have some nice days so I think it will be more pleasant to go for walks. Need to dust off the walking shoes, grab the dogs and just go!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have been unwell for 5 days with the flu and in the time have managed to lose 2 kilos. Will use it as a fresh start to Spring weight loss.
Need to amp up the water intake and also the fruit and veggies.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Sorry to hear that you've been sick. That is one way to jump start weight loss.

I had an rash all over my legs, torso and arms last weekend. The dr. put me on a histamine and steroids. I had no appetite which I think was due to the steroids. I lost 2.5 lbs in two days. I stopped looking at the scale after that. Thursday was my last day for steroids. I'm feeling my appetite coming back. Like you, I will use this as a fresh start for eating healthier and exercising more.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I am not drink soda pop often so I'm down 4 pounds last month. Now to increase my walking to two times a day.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I was sick with strep and lost some weight. I am being careful with my carbs not. Although, later this afternoon DH wants to go to Cracker Barrel for his birthday dinner. I need to choose carefully. Tomorrow, will begin a very focused attempt at losing.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
My pants are a bit snug so I need to start walking more & get things back on track.