Gift Closet 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
the stores are pretty empty here.
The stores are pretty empty here too. KMart is very low on stock, it really looks like the are closing down. I have not been to Target for many months so not sure what they look like.
I think I have finished for DH, there is one more gift I would like to get him (a compost tumbler) but that might wait until his birthday in March.
DS will be OK as there a 5 or 6 sets of the DVD's he collects coming out in the next few months that I have already ordered. The person that is a little behind at the moment is DD. I am sure that I will find a few more things for her before the end of the year

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Strolled through World Market yesterday while I was waiting for my phone to be fixed and found a great paella pan gift set - pan, olive oil, saffron, and paella seasoning for 30% so I picked it up for Vic. He's always talking about paella - he's made a lot of trips to Spain and enjoyed it every time he's there, thought it would be fun to make together.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
Hi, all. I just picked up some candles for the gift closet. They're having their semi-annual clearance at Yankee Candle right now. It's been in stores for a few weeks and today they've started it online. Most sale candles are 50% off. I love their candles and they make great little gifts for teachers, helpers, secretaries, caregivers, neighbors, etc. And they can be really fun to jazz up with a little creative wrapping- white candles can be made into snowmen with some stickers, brown ones can be reindeer with a little pipe cleaner and a red pompom, red ones can have a belt added to look like Santa's suit, etc. , or they just look pretty with some colored cellophane wrap and a pretty bow. Just wanted to pass it along.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Kringle, your candle ideas are great.

Ladies you are all doing so well with getting things for the gift closet. Even in these very challenging times the pull of Christmas is very strong. I actually am doing OK with thinking outside the box and the gift closet is looking fairly healthy considering. It also helps that I was going to pare down a little this year any how.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
NHL is coming to Seattle starting with the 2020-2021 season so I picked up Seattle Kraken shirts for all of us, figured they would be good for a photo op. COVID-19 willing, there may be games with spectators!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
You're all doing so well. So far, I haven't bought anything. I decided yesterday that I'm going to do a group text with our children to ask for suggestions, stating that since so many of us shop online and that's iffy right now, that I would like to go ahead and get started. I think our entire family will be together for the first time in years. I've decided to buy for my sisters and nieces, but not for all of my great-nieces and nephews. I need to start getting some things ordered for DH.

Reactions: PamelaG

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I would like to go ahead and get started
I think it is very wise to do what we can now. Who knows what the situation will be like closer to the end of the year.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
All of you are doing great. Normally by now I am about 25% done if not more but not this year. I do not even think I am 10% done yet. Told the DH and the kids that I need their wish lists by the end of Sept. I was hoping to have started the homemade extracts and sugar batches by now but we have been so busy lately and I don't see me being able to start them until the end of Aug.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
All the gifts I ordered over the weekend have arrived. My husband bought the golf thingy my son wanted so he is done except for groceries. That may prove to be a challenge this year. I’d like to get a few more things for my husband but if I don’t it’s ok.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
I started shopping this week, and it's stuff for DH.
I bought him Bill Brysons' new body book, and some Working Hands. Not terribly exciting lol. They'll most likely be stocking fillers.

Im trying to think/get hold of advent calender fillers. I saw some novelty coffee sachets the other day but couldn't grab them without DH spotting them! Grrr

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
After dealing with online purchases for back to school items that were sparse in the stores, I'm rethinking how I normally proceed with Christmas shopping. Most of my shopping is done from Black Friday through the second week of December. We are 5 months into this virus and supplies are low and deliveries are slow. Stores are reporting that Black Friday is going to look different. I would feel sick to my stomach if most gifts didn't arrive in time for Christmas. Seriously, it would be living a nightmare.

I'm going to be asking dh and dc for ideas and trying to get those items and a few surprises much earlier than normal. I will also probably have to give up the idea of buying something on a sale since prices have gone up in general.

Reactions: luludou

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I remember the first year stores decided to try Black Friday online shopping. Newspapers said it was a major disaster because they had no idea of how many people would go for the online bit. Anyone here have a story?

I'm not finding any delays in shipping for things I'm ordering. But we do have a Amazon warehouse in the Twin Cities. Something come in less than 24 hours. I noticed anything from overseas does have longer shipping days.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
My stuff came pretty fast too. Husband and I decided we were not going to worry about sale prices this year only because everything is so sparse. It seems to be only getting worse here. I am a big bargain shopper so it’s killing me but I’d rather have things tucked away than be in tears over the holidays. And I know I would cry.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We had a second package in two weeks lost via USPS. Sigh... The first one did make it to us. I'm not sure this one will. It's been a week since it was "Delivered" to our mailbox. It never was. I get that the USPS and other delivery folks are stressed but this is bad. Online ordering is becoming more of a hassle to me than ever before.

• Sad
Reactions: AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'm worried about online order this year too! I pinged my sister yesterday to ask if she and finance could update their Amazon wish lists early this year - hoping to order EARLY!!!

Had to go to Menards last night for DH and browsed toy section - not much there but I did get 5-6 small items on clearance that should be perfect for the Advent calendar this year - made me happy!!!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I'm really worried, too, about online ordering. I need to make time to make a list so I can get it to DS and DDs of things I want for Christmas. I want to get them all at least one thing that's not on their list that I think they will like....I've been looking at a survival crank operated radio that has a flashlight and weather alerts on it. Do any of you have any experience with buying one of those?

DGS#1 and #2 would both just as soon get money or GCs as anything else, but I'm big on wanting people to have PRESENTS to open! :rolleyes:- at myself! I suppose I'll have to wrap the GCs in a big box! lol

I saw on the news this morning that USPS is asking for a bailout because they're in financial trouble. Makes me worry even more about delivery of products.