2012: Family Room Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Holiday Grand Plan: Family Room Week
Submitted by Cynthia Ewer on October 28, 2012
Moving into the heart of the household, it's Week Ten at the Holiday Grand Plan: Family Room Week!

We'll clean and organize this central area of family life as we begin to think ahead to holiday visitors in holiday prep. Keep working on those gifts!

Ready? Let's get organized with the Holiday Grand Plan!

Family Room Week at the Holiday Grand Plan

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies. Done
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL. Done
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive). Done
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes. on schedule!
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them. have not wrapped anything yet
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts. not making anything this year
  • Polish silver; clean glassware (baking soda & water). Put candleholders in freezer to help remove wax. Alcohol removes stains from candles. I will order my candles next week if needed, no real silver!
  • Take down Halloween decorations. Put up Thanksgiving ones. Have taken down decorations in prep for storm, no new decor for us till Christmas
  • DO NOT shampoo carpet - partying people spill things. Agree :)
  • Clean/clear library/front hall closet so there will be room for guests' coats. Give unwanted coats to charity. Store other stuff in attic in empty luggage. We have been doing the winter check of all needed outside gear - and will donate all that no longer fits our needs

our family room is also our 'living room' so I will spend extra time needed in the other areas - mostly renovations!
    :snowman:

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Make one batch of Holiday Goodies - Plan to do this this weekend!

Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL. - Planning for this weekend as well!

Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive) - Will do during this Thursday's grocery store trip

Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes - Not shopping yet, crafting only this week!

Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them - Don't think I'll be ready to start wrapping this week, but can work on stopping by Post Office to pick up boxes. Will check on boxes I already have first though

Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts - On track so far!

Polish silver - On the to do list! Am going to try new method of cleaning this year! I have a large coffee/tea service that sits out on display in Family Room so this is perfect timing for this task!

http://stuffgrandmamade.blogspot.pt/2009/11/tarnish-free-silver-with-no-work.html

Take down Halloween decorations. Put up Thanksgiving ones - Will do tomorrow night

DO NOT shampoo carpet - partying people spill things - We don't have much carpet so this is easy!

Clean/clear library/front hall closet so there will be room for guests' coats. Give unwanted coats to charity - We don't have a closet easily accessed when guests first come in, so brainstorming on this one!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
-Make one batch of Holiday Goodies. Not yet.
-Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL. - Probably this weekend
-Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive). will give from what we have.
-Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes. .... getting along
- Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them. Have not wrapped anything yet - need to check wrapping supplies
-Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts. Can't make it at 1 hour a day, but mostly finished.
- Polish silver; clean glassware (baking soda & water). Put candleholders in freezer to help remove wax. Alcohol removes stains from candles. ..No Silver, need to buy some candles.
-Take down Halloween decorations. Put up Thanksgiving ones. Halloween will get done tomorrow, then we wait until Christmas.
-DO NOT shampoo carpet - partying people spill things. - No carpet, so no problem.
-Clean/clear library/front hall closet so there will be room for guests' coats. Give unwanted coats to charity. Store other stuff in attic in empty luggage. DONE

Last edited:

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
Hi guys. I thought I'd jump on here. I need all the help I can get!

*Make one batch of Holiday Goodies. Done.
*Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL. I'm cooking up a few soups today so I'll be caught up for any weeks I've missed.
*Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).WIP
*Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes. I'm about 1/2 way there. I have pretty good ideas about what I still need to get, just need to get them.
*Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them. WIP
*Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts. At least an hour. I'm making alot of gifts this year and, while I'm doing pretty well on them, I'd like to get some of the quicker ones all finished up and checked off my list. I'll see what I can do with the rest of this week and definitely next week.
*Polish silver; clean glassware (baking soda & water). Put candleholders in freezer to help remove wax. Alcohol removes stains from candles. I need to check through my serving pieces as we're having the family here this year again. But we're doing a buffet style meal so I don't need to worry about place settings. Candles I've got.
*Take down Halloween decorations. Put up Thanksgiving ones. Doing that today.
*DO NOT shampoo carpet - partying people spill things. No can do. The littles are here and have wreaked havoc on the carpet. I can't handle it so I'm going to shampoo this week or next.
*Clean/clear library/front hall closet so there will be room for guests' coats. Give unwanted coats to charity. Store other stuff in attic in empty luggage. Did this a few weeks ago.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Welcome aboard Kringle.

I'm a total mess. My grandma went into the hospital Halloween. I have been spending a lot of time with her at the hospital (as well as other family members) that I once again, was unable to get anything done. I hope to make a fresh start tomorrow.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Welcome Kringle..

Aggy I hope your grandma is fully recovered soon..

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Aggy, sorry to hear your Grandmother is unwell! I hope she recovers and is back home soon.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I am getting so behind!! I managed to get a lot done the weekend a full week ago (as I've been off work and racing frantically, I have been offline all week), but then I spent the rest of the time sorting other people's problems so didn't get house or me stuff done at all.

THe time is flying and I need to get back on track!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am so far behind I don't even know where to start!!! :)

Somehow another week flew by without my accomplishing any cleaning tasks above and beyond the normal housework.

I did get 3 freezer meals and a small batch of cookie dough in the deep freeze - so that is at least something. {sigh}

Will review my catch up tasks and decide priorities today...