2020 - HHP - Week 5 - Guest Room or Another Room

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We look at our guest room or another room if you don't have a guest room. This is also the week we do a Status Check to see how we are doing with the HHP.

What's on your list this week?

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Household Checklist
  • We have no guests rooms here. We have extra sheets, towels and air mattresses for overnight guests that we store in the basement. Since we did a basement clean out with the flood in August, everything to do with overnight guests has been dealt with already.

Holiday Prep Checklist
  • Do Status Check.
  • Begin planning holiday decorating. I usually don’t plan out the decorating. It’s pretty much the same thing every year. But I will make time this week to read through the pile of magazines that I have. I’m sure that will give me inspiration to try something new.
  • Inventory holiday decorations. I try to do this either during the season when I’m staring at the decorations for a few weeks or when I’m putting things away in January. If possible, I try to pick up the items when they are on clearance. I usually buy a few extra strands of tree lights for the following year.
  • Decorate for autumn.
  • Continue working on Christmas cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: happy2bme

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Week 5??? Wow! It’s going by fast.

My guest room and bath are done along with the rest of the upstairs except the master bath shower ( I ran out of cleaner). I did the basement this afternoon. Was just a touch up as I had done a good job this spring cleaning and purging. I did not touch my husbands playroom, he can do that his self.
Kitchen will be done after I make apple sauce. That leaves the porch and outside of the windows. I may leave those for next week.

My decorating is pretty much the same every year. I can do a few extras since I don’t have to worry about my beloved Myron eating things he shouldn’t and having emergency surgery. ( I miss my little buddy). I need NOTHING as far as decorations are concerned lol. I repair things as I put them away every year. We bought a artificial tree for the sunroom last year so I don’t need to replace any lights as I had planned. We miss our live tree but honestly was getting more difficult to manage one. I spent extra money to get exactly what I wanted and we love it.

I am decorated for fall. Since I don’t do many cards I can wait to get them started.

Reactions: happy2bme

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Household Checklist:
no guest room here, so I will keep working on my Master To Do list - done

Holiday Prep Checklist:
decorate for Fall - done
inventory decorations - done

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I did my Status check. I'm doing rather well with things so far which is surprising. Then I realized why. All afterschool activities are cancelled due to the virus. With just one child in school at this point, my time has opened up considerably. I am working remotely too. So no commute, no afterschool activities during the week and no sports on the weekend means I should be able to get a lot more things done off of my list. :)

I brought out the autumn and Halloween decorations today. The kitchen towels have been changed from the everyday style to the autumn colors. I have the wonderful smelling candles in the dining room and kitchen. I even decorated dh's office since he is working from home now. :D He never saw anything like it before and probably never again unless he works from home next Halloween.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Holiday Mom -- Your candles sound wonderful! We just used up the last of last year's candles and DD is bugging me to get ones. We normally start a pot of cinnamon spice and apples on the wood stove around this time but the temperatures haven't dropped enough to light it up yet for the season.

I've been out of town this week on a short little getaway to the coast with the hub -- Clorox wipes in hand. Our first time eating on location at restaurant since this whole thing began. We were out on the patio and we had the whole place to ourselves. The restaurant was completely empty and only doing take-out. These days feel very Twilight Zone. We had a good chunk of drive-time to talk about the Reality Check and what we want to get done for the season. I think we are going for the generator as the big expense. We concluded we needed to get a little further into the winter before deciding what we want to do about the family Christmas gift. There is nothing obvious this year. We have things we "want" but this season may end up being about "need". So we are going to keep pondering a bit. The older our family gets the more importance is placed simply on stuff to snuggle in. :).

As for the Guest Room. It was done over the summer and now has a long-term teenage occupant in there.

I do need advice on Christmas Ribbon? I tie large draping glittery bows all over my Christmas tree to reflect the twinkling lights (looks awesome) but when I switched out the live tree to the 12' fake Costco Tree last year I found that my bows didn't pull easily across the rubbery limbs of the tree. They got stuck and jammed up. I got them on there but noted I would have to change the material this year. Any thoughts on that? I am thinking we need to get our supplies early this year just in case we get shut down again.

Week 5 - Guest Room

House

• Decor declutter -- I need to rework the mantel. Less small stuff and more single item big stuff.
  • Decorate for autumn. -- Autumn is up. Halloween decor will go up this weekend.
  • Schedule houseguest stays. - Sounds like relatives may coming this month with their trailer to visit us in our yard. :)
  • Make a guest room "pamper basket". -- Nope. Not this year.
Holiday:
  • Inventory holiday decorations -- have to check last year's notes. Might need twinklers.
  • Divide Christmas card list into 5 sections. Complete Section 2.. Goal: to be all done by November 15. -- UGH.
  • Begin planning holiday decor. -- Christmas tree ribbon (see question above) and kids will want to decorate their rooms.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
It sounds like you and your dh had a real nice "normal" time for just a bit. :D

They got stuck and jammed up. I got them on there but noted I would have to change the material this year. Any thoughts on that?
If I'm understanding this correctly, you put individual bows on the tree? I have tied on bows with green floral wire onto wreaths and garland. I've had better luck using the metal ornament hooks to hang up bows. Sometimes I even just let them sit on the branches.

1601692365699.png

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Well huh. Funny how we get set in our ways! I’ve always tied them on and unwrapped them so they fold easily. Hadn’t even “considered” just pinning them on there! I have to think about that. It would probably still be too sticky though. I like to tuck the long ribbons into the tree so they kinda drape everywhere. The bows are about as big as the steering wheel of my car and drape a good 2’ from each side. Our fake tree is pretty thick. If I didn’t think I would electrocute myself I’d do a little thinning!

Last edited:
Reactions: Holiday_Mom

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
They won't easily pull off, but have you thought about attaching with an old fashioned pipe cleaner? Loop it through the back of the bow and twist around the tree branch. You would have to untwist it to remove it, but it's easily done.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I work elections every year for the most part and try to keep up with the holiday plan. This year, with the presidential election, I'm working soooo much it's almost impossible to do anything by the time I get home. Sooooo I'm going to officially toss in the towel for the HHP and will skip to the Christmas Countdown. Luckily I do a big "Holiday Grand Plan"-ISH schedule every Spring to get my house in order and that keeps me decluttered the house deep cleaned for the most part. Although the timing isn't perfect for Christmas, it does give my house a general reboot every year that I'm thankful for. I'll spend some time mid november getting the house back in order after being gone so long and then use the Christmas Countdown to make sure I don't forget anything. Good luck everyone. I know how much these plans help and I'm always recommending them to friends.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I work elections every year for the most part and try to keep up with the holiday plan. This year, with the presidential election, I'm working soooo much it's almost impossible to do anything by the time I get home. Sooooo I'm going to officially toss in the towel for the HHP and will skip to the Christmas Countdown.
We'll miss you but I do understand. I like to use the Christmas Countdown with HHP to catch the things I may have missed.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul