4th Turkey Day April 2011

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I am up late. Finished reading the latest Black Dagger Brotherhood book that I picked up yesterday. Not a vampire fan at all but do like these books.

This holiday can be for anyone who wants to be blessed and thankful for the people in their life. I never thing of it as related to the pilgrims. I'm just weird I guess.

I'll be making something with the leftover turkey in the freezer. Maybe turkey salad but it's kind of cold out side (38 today) so I may go with something hot. Probably Hot Brown Sandwiches because I just love them.

This month let us think about what our priorities are concerning Thanksgiving, what we expect from this Holiday and what can we do to discourage disappointments.

I decided a few years ago I would do Thanksgiving to please myself. I wanted it to make a tradition that might be remembered by my family. I also use this day to ask my family to write down the items they would like for Christmas. I ask them to write down 5 things one of which should be outrageous if they would like (have had things like world peace, a lamborghini). I scrap these in my kid's scrapbook albums. I think they will enjoy reading them in the future or their kids will get a kick out of it.

I cut out a lot of things in my menu to make it easier to fix. My house is totally gluten free and I do not eat items made in other people house because of the cross contamination issues (I get ill from just a tiny bit of gluten). No one has missed the extra items I have cut out. I do a lot of prep work so I do not have a lot to do on Thanksgiving Day. It helps cut down the stress.

I think what bothers me the most is the total time it takes to make the meals. Hours of prep and cooking and it takes less than 30 to 40 minutes to devourer it. And them more time to clean up. lol

So what are your expectations of Thanksgiving and what bothers you the most about the day? What can you do to improve this wonderful day?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanksgiving for us her is no biggie. It's in October and mostly it's a day off work. We usually have a fall festival in our town & my parents & their friends come but they come in with their 5th wheel, so I don't really have alot to prep. I'm very glad of this because it's near Halloween and that's one occasion I have lots of work to do for!

I do like to hear you gals talk about your Thanksgiving and all the prep you do. I just don't know how you do it .. so near Christmas! kuddos to you!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I am up late. Finished reading the latest Black Dagger Brotherhood book that I picked up yesterday. Not a vampire fan at all but do like these books.

I haven't started the new one yet, but I like the series, too.

As for Thanksgiving, it is my least favorite holiday...I love what it represents, but we spend it with my inlaws and that is ALWAYS a stressful experience. I actually prefer to host, especially with 2 young boys, but MIL knows that so she is always coming up with alternative plans about a week before the holiday. Last year I was traveling for work and didn't get home until almost midnight on Tuesday so I didn't fight to have it at our house. MIL had it at hers, but DH & I ended up doing most of the cooking anyway, since she "wasn't in the mood" - a direct quote. It was awful. She cut out many of the family's favorites, so everyone complained about that. We had to wait for my SIL to come from NYC on the train (She missed not 1 but 2 trains because she had been out partying the night before) so we didn't eat until nearly 6pm (originally scheduled for 2pm) - everything was dried out. And MIL spent most of the day complaining and yelling at my boys for running around (it was pouring rain so they couldn't play outside). Grrr!

This year my BIL and his wife are actually buying MIL's house - I think they're nuts, but that's a different story! ;) Maybe they'll host this year. I can dream! I'd rather just stay home with the 4 of us, but we host my family for Christmas, so that wouldn't really be fair to DH. Maybe I'll just think about crafts I can do with the boys.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Colleen sorry about all the family drama. Big occasions do not always bring out the best in people!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Colleen,
You thanksgiving drama would make a great movie! Just wish you were not starring in it. lol

The newest BDB book is just ok. I thought it would have more action. Seems very tame compared to the earlier books. And so far I do not like the new Fallen Angels Series.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Do you remember Montgomery Ward? Just before they went bankrupt, I bought a huge platter and pitcher that have a fall leaf motif on them. I would love to find plates to match/coordinate.
This may be the first year it is at my house, but we'll see. I guess I could start doing it for just my immediate family (DDs, DS, DDIL).
I have a turkey breast in the freezer. I should thaw it and have it this weekend - for Sunday dinner would be nice.