Budget Grocery Shopping and Meal Planning

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Just heard from the second of my favorite Michigan farmstands, letting their customers know that their peach crop was devastated by the January sub-zero deep freeze and there will be no peach crop this year. The trees leafed out, as usual, but had no buds or flowers where the fruit originates. I was hoping that the freeze didn't affect all of the peach growers this year, but it looks like they all got hit. Like the first to announce, this farm is also diversified and will survive with their other produce. But I feel so sad for them about this major loss. In any case, peaches will be unavailable to me this year. Will have to look at what fruit I can substitute this summer.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I haven’t heard anything about peaches here in Ohio. The one orchard back home sends frequent emails and hasn’t mentioned it. Next time I’m out there I’ll have to ask.
We had a really really cold spell in mid-January, after a nice warm stretch. Temps fell and we had freezing rain, then temps hovered from right around 0 for a high and -20 for a low plus winds adding to the chill. The cold spell lasted for nearly a week. The first farm report I received said what branches were below the snow line seemed better, but anything exposed above snow would not be producing. The report from the 2nd farm said there were no flower buds at all on any of their trees, so no peaches this year.

Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Went to Fry's last night and they had:
Foster Farms boneless, skinless chicken breasts buy 1 pack, get 1 free.

Some of the packs were $17.00 but I moved packs around and found some that
were $10.00-$12.00.

I make a lot of summer salads using grilled chicken breast so this is a perfect stock up.

Finally scored a deal.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Remember how I was so outraged about the cost of 4 avocados at Fry's?

A friend posted a pick of the bin with the price (something I somehow missed last week)
to showcase the crazy cost.