Bunco?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
I wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move it if need be.

I have read on different posts that some of you host/play bunco. I would love to do this, can you give me any info on how to find a group, or start one. Seems like i cant get my friends to commit to something like this but i would love it. Thanks :)

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
I play Bunco!

In our group this is how it works--

We play on the 2nd Tuesday of every month- so you always know far in advance when it is--
Each month a different person hosts it at there house. We try to have the calendar committed to people 6 months out.
The person hosting it provides snacks, appetizers and the Bunco prize( $10-15 dollar value. Everybody BYOB's.

We hope to have 4 tables of 4 each for 16 people. We have permanent members and a list of alternates. The host is responsible for calling alternates as needed but we always sometimes have "ghost" players.

We each put $5 in the pot- at the end of the night the player with the most loses gets her $5 back and the player with the most wins gets the rest.

The Bunco prize for the night is wrapped. It starts out going to the first person to get a true Bunco. Throughout the night it moves to the next person to get true Bunco etc.. The person who has the prize when play stops gets to open and keep it.

The number of rounds varies. Each night someone is the bell "-itch". SHe determines the pace of play for the night. Allowing for chat time between rounds and sets etc... Sometimes allowing for a lot of chat , sometimes making speed rounds. So you never know how many rounds we will play.

You can buy a Bunco set at any game store or at Amazon etc.. We just use dice and score cards we made up that everyone gets a word document of. We also just have a teachers type bell.

I know there are many variations of the game - I am sure there is a website that gives basics play rules somewhere.

It is a fun time! Good Luck- just start one up and see how it goes!

Deckr8r

Retire Member
Jun 22, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I've been in a bunco group for a couple of years. The games is ridiculously easy and involves no skill or strategy so no one should be intimidated. I think what the whole bunco things is really about is a chance to get out of the house and connect with your friends and just have a nice time together to keep up friendships. We played once a month but not in November or December on the last Thursday of the month at 7:15 and stopped at 9:00. Then the hostess served dessert and you could stay and hang out a little more or go home if you needed to.

Iluvscrap I hope your friends reconsider.

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
Thanks ladies. This sounds so fun. Maybe i need to just make a list of all my family/friends/aquaintances and start asking around again. I want to play, lol.

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
iluv2scrap--

maybe just start out trying to get 8 people to commit and then everyone will talk about how fun it is and more will join.

The group I am in I only knew 2 people when I joined. Now I know all of them and have some new friends. People ask people from work- their other social circles. It is fun to meet new folks too!

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
8 sounds easier to get, i was thinking we had to have 12 committed but i guess we could start with 8 and then grow if we had interest. Thanks ladies.

Now i wonder if i should work on this now or wait until the new year after the holiday's are over. What do you all think?

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
Maybe the new year- talk it up the next couple fo months and then invite everyone for a post holiday relaxation /catch up with each other night. If no one has played beofre it will take a couple times for everyone to get the hang of it anyway- by then maybe you will have 12 instead of 8!