Buying Cookie Ingredients

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I was slightly bummed this past year with Christmas cookies. I didn't really think ahead to buy the fun and unusual and sometimes expensive ingredients and therefore, didn't really make too many cookies. :-[

One of my Rudoph day things to do might be to write up a list of cookies with their ingredients and then weeks prior get a little here and a little there.

With the economy and my DH cut back to three day work week ... I just didn't run out to buy cookies ingredients, you know? But one of my favorite childhood memories of Christmas is the "COOKIES!" :-]

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I think this is a brilliant idea, jampss! Since you adore Christmas cookies...... then Christmas cookies you shall have!!! You have done the very important steps...... you have thought about things that are really important to you at Christmas. AND...... you have figured out how to get what you want for next Christmas!!!!!

This is something that we ALL need to do!!!! We need to figure out the things that REALLY make us happy at Christmas. AND.... we need to find out how to have those things for Christmas 2010! AND...... whenever possible...... it will be wonderful to figure out the things that people we love REALLY want for Christmas 2010! And then..... figure out how to get those things -- for them -- for Christmas 2010!

Christmas cookies have never ben a big part of Christmas for us! (Of course.... we LOVE THEM!!!!! but they are not part of our traditions. Isn't that funny? Raised on different sides of the USA -- but neither of our families was big into Christmas cookies!)

But.... I can think about things that ARE really importAnt to our family members...... and try to take steps IN ADVANCE..... to make them happen for Christmas 2010!

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Something else to keep in mind is how long different ingredients can be frozen for. Not actual cookie dough or cookies, but individual ingredients. Two of your pricier ingredients are probably nuts and butter.

Nuts can be frozen for up to a year although some sources I've read suggest only six months. You don't need to defrost nuts before baking with them although I often toast mine first for better flavour.

Butter should be stored in another container or freezer bag. Salted butter will last 6 months in the freezer while unsalted will last a year. (Salt in the butter absorbs moisture so that's why it's a shorter time.)

:)

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
What a great idea! Plus, you can keep an eye out for good sales close to Christmas. I felt the same way this year. Making cookies is one of my favourite Christmas activities....just didn't feel the same way putting out oreos.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I was slightly bummed this past year with Christmas cookies. I didn't really think ahead to buy the fun and unusual and sometimes expensive ingredients and therefore, didn't really make too many cookies. :-[

But one of my favorite childhood memories of Christmas is the "COOKIES!" :-]

Jampss - I can relate! I didn't get to bake at all this year and it really put a damper on the holiday for me personally (and some grumbling from my extended family). Baking is the part of Christmas prep that I enjoy most. I am going to use Rudy Days to plan ahead this year...no more excuses in 2010! I will also start buying ingredients in the fall.

Here's to a YUMMY Christmas in 2010!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Thanks!

Thanks to y'all! It helps to know that I wasn't the only one having a hard time in this area.

The butter info was great. :-] I do freeze my butter I get at SAM'S but I didn't realize the salt/no salt difference!!

I also didn't know toasting nuts brings out the flavor. YUM!!

Yes, I understand about the "putting out of Oreo's" ... mine was Pecan Sandies.

But I was thinking about doing cut out cookie dough earlier, like early Dec. and put in frig, then at least I could take out to bake some here and there and frost. Somethings like the Snowballs and bar cookies, I could make and freeze early Dec ... you think???? Of course that means ... buying the ingredients earlier!!!!!!! A little here and a little there.