christmas 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I sent the link to my husband for a gift idea for me!

Yes, have started shopping here. Husband and I both have stuff tucked away. I’ll be getting gift cards this week, grocery store has bonus points if you buy certain gift cards for Father’s Day. Busy making some gifts now and buying what I need for the few I haven’t started to make.
192 days??? Goodness! It’s getting close isn’t it.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
192? Lordy, I better get moving.
AJ my Mum would love that book but I am sure that it is American based. I might look at it a bit more.
I have a few things in the gift closet and I have a few gift cards and some money on my supermarket rewards.
I am looking forward to the CIJ threads to see what great ideas are there. I am sure it will be a different Christmas for us all.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
192 days anyone started shopping?

No, but I think I better start really listening and making my list while everyone is still at home. :eek: All but my youngest will head off to college in two months.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
You're all on your game with gift buying!

I usually have a bit of Christmas savings by now in the form of a coin jar. But covid & card payment - the savings jar is looking a bit sorry for itself!

Does anyone have a system of what gifts to buy early? I think I may be able to start buying stocking fillers for the kids soon. Risky buying big stuff atm

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Does anyone have a system of what gifts to buy early? I think I may be able to start buying stocking fillers for the kids soon. Risky buying big stuff atm

I'm practical when it comes to the stockings. I will buy small things like lip balm, travel size tissues, travel size toothpaste, toothbrushes, gum, mints, etc. These are all things that I can buy at the store early. I will separate the items out into bags with dc's names on it and then I place those bags in my hidden stash area.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I think I may be able to start buying stocking fillers for the kids soon. Risky buying big stuff atm
Depending how old the kids are it is better to wait a bit longer.
I am doing well with stocking fillers, a lot of mine come from the supermarket. I buy for adults, no small kids in my family so stocking fillers tend to be things like socks, sunscreen, toothbrush and toothpaste, deodorant etc. Useful things for the kids. Closer to Christmas I will pop in a softdrink and some mini chocolate bars.

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
Depending how old the kids are it is better to wait a bit longer.
I am doing well with stocking fillers, a lot of mine come from the supermarket. I buy for adults, no small kids in my family so stocking fillers tend to be things like socks, sunscreen, toothbrush and toothpaste, deodorant etc. Useful things for the kids. Closer to Christmas I will pop in a softdrink and some mini chocolate bars.
Eldest will be 10 at Christmas, youngest is 8 and they change their minds daily haha.

I'm liking the practical gift ideas. Lipbalm and maybe mini bodysprays could be good

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have been watching our my window by my computer in the sunroom. The neighbor is playing with a remote car. Drive in the rain. Doing flips, rolling over and driving Eva la Diva nuts. She wants one! The car can go about 55 mph. It's probably more an adult toy than a kid. I decided it will be Christmas gifts for the grandkids. They are pricy. Traxxas is the brand name. They also have boats. Will have to get two of them ordered for Dh grandkids now.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio

Im only buying for adults now which is easier. When our son was younger once we figured out what we wanted him to have, we would start watching the sales. He would get maybe 1 or 2 things that he asked for, the rest our choice. Stockings are just lottery tickets now. I stopped buying candy and such and it’s not missed.

I am pretty much a year round shopper. If I see “the perfect gift” for someone I get it right away. I love sales and clearance shopping too.

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
I have been watching our my window by my computer in the sunroom. The neighbor is playing with a remote car. Drive in the rain. Doing flips, rolling over and driving Eva la Diva nuts. She wants one! The car can go about 55 mph. It's probably more an adult toy than a kid. I decided it will be Christmas gifts for the grandkids. They are pricy. Traxxas is the brand name. They also have boats. Will have to get two of them ordered for Dh grandkids now.
That car sounds fun.

Im only buying for adults now which is easier. When our son was younger once we figured out what we wanted him to have, we would start watching the sales. He would get maybe 1 or 2 things that he asked for, the rest our choice. Stockings are just lottery tickets now. I stopped buying candy and such and it’s not missed.

I am pretty much a year round shopper. If I see “the perfect gift” for someone I get it right away. I love sales and clearance shopping too.

I've cut back on junk food stuff the last couple of years. Sometimes I buy Japanese sweets and drinks if I remember. DH is from a big family - he's one of 7 and theres 14 neices and nephews so there's always lots of chocolate/biscuits whatever getting passed around

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Rabble,
I too have really cut down on the lollies etc. My kids are 32 and 28 so they generally just get useful things now. Lip balm is a great idea and this year we will all be getting hand sanitiser.

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
I've been considering 2nd wave scenarios too.
For the first time ever, dh has been talking about Christmas (unprompted by me) for the last couple of weeks - i dont think anyone knows what to do and are just accepting the possibility of a lockdown Xmas

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
We have a Christmas club account. And, most of you know I love to shop Black Friday sales, but who knows if those will happen this year. Two years ago, I BF shopped from the couch...I wonder if that's how it will be again this year.

I plan to cut way back on adult people gifts this year. DGSs will also get less, I imagine. I hope I can get them to give me lists earlier this year.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I started working on my gift list this week. Its a rough draft that will change over the next few months but there are few gifts that will be an absolute must buy. Hoping to start picking up a couple gifts next month. I have the items tagged on amazon and Walmart's website so I can keep checking the price.

Thinking about making some extracts and flavored sugars over the summer to give as gifts for the bakers in the family.
Vanilla extract/sugar
Lemon extract/sugar
Orange extract/sugar
Lime extract/sugar
Mint extract/sugar
Maybe pair them up with new oven mitts/whisks/rubber spatulas etc.