christmas 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I love to shop Black Friday sales, but who knows if those will happen this year.

Until you said that, Jane, I had not even thought about Black Friday - ugh! Online shopping is probably going to be really pushed this year - I'm guessing? I usually go to Meijer super early in the morning when the sales start - and there are typically low crowds at 6AM - but this year I don't know...

And that in a nutshell - is what is driving me nuts - I just don't know!!! :eek:

Will we have our annual party for all of our friends?

Will I be sending in baked goods to coworkers? School? Will they WANT it this year?

Will the BILs and wives want to gather this year?

Will my sisters and families be traveling home as originally planned?

I think what I am going to do is just plan as if it is going to happen - stock up as if it is going to happen - and then see what happens! :rolleyes:

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
It's almost impossible to know what is going to happen next week much less for Hanukkah/Christmas.

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
In the last two weeks, dh (who isn't anti-Christmas, just too busy), and sil ("Don't you dare mention Christmas before November") have both brought up Christmas multiple times... dsil mildly stressing about not being able to shop/see anyone etc. If the non-Christmassy people are panicking it shows nobody knows what's going on!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I am okay with Christmas at home. For years we've run everywhere on Christmas Day and I'm really okay with just being in my home, celebrating here.

I think most gifts will be ordered online and it will be gift cards for the nieces and nephews.

I will bake as usual, stock up on essentials and try to go with the flow.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am anticipating that as we get closer and closer to Christmas the online shopping sites may be very, very busy. I have a few ideas that I am working on now and I am placing orders if I see what I want at a price I am happy to pay. I always am worried about missing out and would rather have it now at the higher price than not at all.

DecemberisComing

Premiere Member
Jun 22, 2020
Illinois
I am okay with Christmas at home. For years we've run everywhere on Christmas Day and I'm really okay with just being in my home, celebrating here.

I think most gifts will be ordered online and it will be gift cards for the nieces and nephews.

I will bake as usual, stock up on essentials and try to go with the flow.

I am looking forward to having a quiet Christmas at home and to focus on the simple joys of the season too. I have never used to direct ship option, but I think this year may be the year to try it and to avoid the lines at the Post Office altogether.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
WOW! It is getting close now isn't it?

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
This makes me anxious since my family is last minute about sharing ideas for gifts. I suppose I need to reach out to them to get suggestions earlier. I have ordered more online in the last two years. I may be wrapping boxes with pictures of gifts in them! My giving will be significantly pared down this year.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Two of the stores I went to today - Verizon and Old Navy - had the six-foot social distancing markers on the pavement outside. Verizon wouldn't let you in the door without checking with the person who was standing outside. If he determined you needed help, you could go in if there was someone available to help you. If you needed the usual tech support, he handed you a piece of paper with the instructions to fix your problem and the number for tech support. No going in for help any longer, no activating new phones, no transferring of contacts, etc. I walked in to Old Navy but there was a girl at the door with one of those clickers to count how many people were in the store. I guess once they get to capacity, you have to wait outside until someone leaves and then you can enter. No way I am doing this to do my Christmas shopping. Online it is.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana

I ran across this today when I was going through my book marked sites for Christmas. I haven't tested any of them, so can't attest to the success of any of them. If anyone tries any of them or has used them, let us know the if it was a success or failure.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
This makes me anxious since my family is last minute about sharing ideas for gifts. I suppose I need to reach out to them to get suggestions earlier. I have ordered more online in the last two years. I may be wrapping boxes with pictures of gifts in them! My giving will be significantly pared down this year.

I told my kids that I needed their Christmas Wish lists by the end of Sept. Several stores have announced that they will be closed on Thanksgiving and will be offering more and better sales from Oct to Christmas. I don't see BF happening in the stores this year, will most likely be all on line.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I told my kids that I needed their Christmas Wish lists by the end of Sept. Several stores have announced that they will be closed on Thanksgiving and will be offering more and better sales from Oct to Christmas. I don't see BF happening in the stores this year, will most likely be all on line.

I was just reading some of that. I wonder what the sales will be like given the lack of availability of stock. Will people still go out on Friday? I know for many families the Black Friday event is just as big as thanksgiving dinner. I guess only time will tell.

Reactions: Minta

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I just watched a vlog where the vlogger talked about the bare shelves at his Target. Most of the comments were also from people making the same observation. There is a slow down all along the distribution route - factory or sea port, to truck or rail, to the stores and then so many were closed or had reduced hours or staff - makes shopping early, and online, more appealing.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I just watched a vlog where the vlogger talked about the bare shelves at his Target. Most of the comments were also from people making the same observation. There is a slow down all along the distribution route - factory or sea port, to truck or rail, to the stores and then so many were closed or had reduced hours or staff - makes shopping early, and online, more appealing.

I also noticed the bare shelves at Target. I was so excited to shop there, but was disappointed by the lack of products.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
yes ive noticed bare shelves too even at my work we dont have some stuff. i still cant find paper towels. im ordering online too

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Shops are very bare here too. KMart is almost empty.
Will be doing most of my shopping online and then there is still no guarantee of getting the items.