Christmas Brunch

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I'm hosting nine people for Christmas this year. My boyfriend's birthday is on Christmas Eve and the two of us, his two boys, my parents and his parents and sister will all be in town. It's the first time we'll all be together for a major holiday. I have been concentrating so hard on how to make his birthday special yet still celebrate Christmas Eve that I have overlooked the fact that I'll need to feed these people on Christmas morning! Does anyone have any good - preferrably make ahead, throw in the oven, take out of the fridge type things that you just love to make? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Kim Loves Snow said:
I'm hosting nine people for Christmas this year. My boyfriend's birthday is on Christmas Eve and the two of us, his two boys, my parents and his parents and sister will all be in town. It's the first time we'll all be together for a major holiday. I have been concentrating so hard on how to make his birthday special yet still celebrate Christmas Eve that I have overlooked the fact that I'll need to feed these people on Christmas morning! Does anyone have any good - preferrably make ahead, throw in the oven, take out of the fridge type things that you just love to make? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

My sister has a recipe for a breakfast casserole which you leave in the fridge overnight and pop in the oven in the morning. It's bread, eggs and sausage. Possibly cheese too. I'll get the recipe from her and post it if you like. :)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
My mom cooks all her sausages and bacon ahead of time and then just reheats and puts it in the crockpot to keep hot.

Same thing with the small potatoes.

HallmarkLady

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
Blueberry French Toast and Breakfast Casseroles are excellent to assemble the night before you need them. Ham croissants are another idea to have. A signature morning breakfast drink in fluted glasses would be festive.

By the way, there is a wonderful restaurant in the downtown Richmond that has a great brunch menu-small establishment in an old building on a corner. I wish I could think of its name!!!! :slap:

Check out their menu for ideas.

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
Pancakes are easy and quick to make or scrambled eggs or forget cooking altogether and have bread/toast,bagels, english muffins, danish, donuts, cold cereal available.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Thanks everyone! Hallmarklady I'm trying to think of which restaurant you are talking about...it's not the Tobacco Company is it? Also loved the thought of a signature morning drink in a fluted glass. Luludou - I've never thought of pre-cooking sausage and bacon. What a great idea! And to all of you who linked recipes and shared other suggestions -thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
For a lovely festive signature drink, you could copy the idea of my uncle (now an Episcopal Vicar, equivalent to a Bishop!). He buys a couple of bottles of freshly squeezed orange juice the day before, chills a couple of bottles of champagne, and for breakfast after each Mass (he has about 3 at least), serves all his visitors (and there are lots) with a brekkie (a bacon and sausages fry which his sister and her DH cooks) but Buck's Fizz which he makes himself.

Do you have roll out croisant mixtures? Ready made pastry that you just unroll from the tin, cut along the lines and roll up into individual croissants? You could prep them the night before, rolling them with some ham and cheese, or a few with a chocolate spread, and then just bake for a few minutes in the morning.

Scones can be made and frozen, when defrosted, just pop them into the oven for 5 minutes (or even microwave for 30 secoonds) for lovely hot yumminess.

I definitely love the idea of some fresh fruit on Christmas morning - whether as a juice or fruit salad or melon chunks or something like that. And citurs juice can be squeezed the night before, and salad or chunks made the day or even 2 before.

I don't know if you have the ultimate cheat over there, but I know a few who use them here for busy times, are the precooked bacon and sausages from the grocery store. Takes the pressure off (but you can always cook yourself the night before too). Pop into the oven for a while to reheat, with some uncooked halved tomatoes (cut side up), a dish of mushrooms, a tray of scones/muffins, croissants for reheating. Turn on the coffeepot, check the previously set table, take out chilled juice from fridge, turn on Christmas music (make some scrambled eggs if feeling relaxed - ignore if there are lots up already), and enjoy!!