Christmas Eve dinner

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
We are going in a totally different direction this year for Christmas Eve dinner. This has always been our main Christmas meal, but things do change, don't they? We have anywhere from 1 to 6 extra folks for that meal, and in the past we've gone to my parents' for dinner on Christmas Day. Last year Mom and Dad switched meals and made a big breakfast. Mom has decided to continue that tradition this year. Since Dad passed away in April, I've been trying to figure out how to do things that will feel familiar but not any more painful than necessary. I've decided to have an informal Christmas Eve dinner, then do a big deal dinner on Christmas night. So, we'll be having something like this:

Appetizers
shrimp cocktail
crudites and dip
cheese and crackers
Noel Spritzers (non alcoholic) served in champagne flutes

Main Dishes
Potato Soup
Beef Stew
Chili
Biscuits, crackers and cornbread
Iced tea, Christmas punch

Desserts
Bread Pudding
Candy tray
Eggnog, Coffee

We'll probably watch a movie if we don't have guests, and if we do we'll likely just chat around the table. I want to have small favors for everyone who visits us-I'll have Christmas crackers for everyone as placecards that double as favors. I'll use a red tablecloth, my Christmas dishes and a crystal bowl of multicolored ornaments for the centerpiece.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
We've always celebrated on Christmas Eve. We open gifts and have our main meal then. That gives me Christmas day to relax. When the kids were little they opened their Stockings and opened gifts from Santa on Christmas day. Everything else was opened on Christmas Eve. Except one gift that everyone put aside to be opened when they helped put away the decorations.
Our Menu is simple:

Prime Rib
Onions and Mushrooms
Baked Potatoes with butter and sour cream
Some type of veggie--To be decided..or not
Homemade Pickles
Homemade Chocolate Covered Drucken Cherries
Banana Bread
Cranberry Bread
Christmas Eggnog Lattes

Then if I feel like it:
Maybe a pie, Pecan
We are a gluten free family so cookies are usually not on the menu.
I'd like to try making some Krumkake this year. I have my grandmother's iron and recipe.
I've made them once. They are so good even out of gluten-free flour.
Maybe Pistachio macaroons and Chocolate Dipped Fruit-Nut Balls or Coffee Patties
Maybe some brown sugar fudge
I do want to try making some Coffee Jelly. If I don't make it for Thanksgiving I'll try it for Christmas.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Sounds beautiful, I am sure you will have a wonderful evening. The holidays can be a difficult time after the passing of someone we love. I speak from personal experience that it will perhaps change how things are done, but with time, they become "the familiar" too. {{hug}}

Last year was the first year without my grandmother for all my relatives and my first Chritmas in Florida with them. My grandfather mentioned some things he wanted for the holidays so I quickly learned to make my grandmother's "special" recipes. I learned her pie crust, italian cheesepie, mini cheesecakes, pignoli cookies, gingerbread cookies, venetians, and a few other recipes which included lots of pies. I spent hours making all of these recipes so my grandfather, aunts, uncles, and cousins didn't feel it wasn't Christmas enough without my grandmother. Needless to say half of them left before dessert and I was a little upset (okay I was mad) but I understood it was hard for them but they came back to my grandfathers for leftover pies. This year I plan to tackle her cream puffs and cannoli recipes. Problem is she left us with like 3 different recipes for each of them. I have her pizzele and will probably get started on them for Thanksgiving!!!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
When I was little, we were always so full of Christmas treats and candy that no one could eat a big dinner on Christmas day, so we often had our big dinner on Christmas Eve.

Now, Christmas Eve is so busy with last minute activity that I make a favorite soup in the crock pot and make dough in the bread machine early in the day. Then we go to church and to a movie at the theatre (a treat, because it's so expensive to get us all in!). We come home relaxed and tired, and ready for bed. There's something about sitting in a darkened movie theatre at night that settles the kids down a bit.

Christmas Day is our big meal, though I make most of it a day or two ahead (another reason that Christmas Eve is so busy :grin: ). My kids don't get free reign on how many sweets they eat and are always hungry for the meal.

coffeenut

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 10, 2007
Spartan Country-mi
We do something similar on Christmas Eve and Day.
Christmas Eve

chili w/spaghetti
cheese and crackers
cookie tray
candies
shrimp cocktail
baked brie amd crakcers

Christmas Day
turkey and ham
creamed onions(pre fozen packaged)
sausage dressing
green bean casserole sweet potatoes w/ marshamllows
mashed potatoes and gravy
pumpkin pie
This year we are changing it and just having muchies for the dinner since we always have so much food.
We use paper products since my sister's house is small and the dinner is informal
su

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Everyone getting together on Christmas Eve has been a family tradition for the past six or seven years. Family and friends all come to my house on Christmas Eve. We open gifts, eat lots of food and have a jolly ole time. Christmas day I like to spend the day relaxing. It's worked out this way because usually on Christmas day, those with children like to stay at home so that their kids can enjoy playing with their gifts while others may have places to go on Christmas day.

My menu is different every year. I'm still working this out however I have my appetizers decided:

Appetizers
Shrimp spread wontons
Roast Beef & cheese pinwheels
Sweet & Sour meatballs

I will also make my crab salad that the family loves. (We love our seafood :haha: )

That's all I've come up with so far.