Christmas throws

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I bought a bunch of fleece throws from the Family Dollar store for $3.00 each. I am going back to see if they have any more (I want to keep the ones I bought to use outside all fall and for next year). I am going to cut shapes from felt and stitch them to the throws. I did this a few years ago for SIL and BIL, and they seemed to like them. I am going to make snowflakes and put sequins on them and sew them on an ivory throw, buy sparkly white felt and make snowmen for a green one, put green pinetrees on a khaki colored one, and a moose, pine tree and a big yellow moon on a dark blue one! For my nephew who will be 1 year old, I'm doing a bright green one with a frog, if I can find a frog pattern. I am thinking about doing a gingerbread one and a heart one, as well. For DH's niece, a Senior 08 one is in the works, and maybe a football one for my friend's son. I think I may do them for DH's cousin's sons as well, either with a moose and trees or just their initials. I don't know them well at all, so I have a hard time buying for them.

I think Walgreen's has throws on sale this week, as well. I'll check both places!! I'm really excited about this. I don't sew, but I can use embroidery floss and stitch them on. I'm trying to do as much homemade stuff as possible this year. What do you think?

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
Thank you for the idea, Cathymac! I'd been thinking about giving people throws to keep in their cars. The appliques sound great! I'm wondering about cutting the appliques from other throws -- they might launder better. I'd need to check out the fabric first. Of course, pre-washed calico appliques would work, too. My tiny little mind is working overtime! Thanks again!

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
PS, Cathymac. I just read your post again. Look in a children's coloring book for your frog pattern. The ones for very young children have a lot of simple pictures that can easily be used for applique patterns.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I'd second young childrens colouring books, you can google may images online too!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Oh, great idea. I didn't think about that! I have all the rest of the patterns from my Gooseberry Patch books! I can't wait to get started! If I have everything figured right, it should be about $5.00 per gift. Hopefully it'll look like much more!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I like that idea too. I have two fleece throws I bought from Target's after Christmas sale a couple years ago. They are plain - one is white with red trim the other is red with white trim. I like the snowflake pattern you mentioned. I would like to do that on my throws. I need to go to Walmart and pick up some felt squares. Thanks for sharing.