CIJ 2023 Christmas Through the Decades - 1940s: Preparing for Christmas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Welcome to Christmas in the 1940s!

In the 1940s, freshly cut Christmas trees were most often present in the family home. Families would often make an outing to a wooded area to select and cut down a tree for Christmas. Whether live or artificial, it typically was what we may think of as an “old fashioned” tree – wide at the bottom with spikey branches, like a Charlie Brown tree. Usually, there was ample space between the branches for hanging lights and ornaments. During wartime, however, the cost of a real tree increased, and artificial trees started becoming more prevalent.

With World War II ongoing in the early 1940s, combined with rationing, many families opted for a simpler Christmas, including their décor of homemade paper chain garland or popcorn strings, and cut-out paper spirals, stars, and snowflakes. For examples of paper spirals, see https://kidscraftroom.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Spiral-Christmas-Tree-Ornaments.pdf.
For snowflakes, see https://www.firstpalette.com/printable/snowflake.html.
For Christmas stars, see https://northpolechristmas.com/christmas-star-template.html.

Lights had replaced candles on Christmas trees and, if used, were multi-colored large bulbs. Bubble lights also became popular during that period. Mercury glass ornaments were also used during that time. Many were simple round and shiny, others were uniquely shaped and often indented, adding interest to the tree. An angel frequently topped the family Christmas tree, though some families opted for a finial-type tree topper. Tinsel may have been added to the Christmas trees, giving it extra sparkle.

1688298760277.png1688298815490.png1688298927948.png

With many homes having members serving in the military during World War II, people would often display an array of photos of their deployed family members. Families often made and mailed Christmas gifts of candy, cookies, and socks to those serving overseas, providing a little bit of “home” during their days of service. Today, that tradition continues, as we all remember those serving to protect our country.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
My one regret when we were cleaning out grandpa's house was not asking for some ornaments. :( Grandma has a salt and pepper shaker collection and I did ask for a set for myself and one for each of my 4 children. When mom passed her Christmas tree were up and we told everyone to grab an ornament.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I have one bubble light of grandmas. Most of them had cracked etc and the cords were a safety nightmare. I saved one set of C7’s (I think they’re the 7’s my brain is failing). Remember getting burnt more than once at grandmas. Our last Christmas on the farm, grandma had candles on the tree! A once in a lifetime old fashion Christmas like mom had growing up.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I love bubble lights and have some ornaments like those pictured. I am sure many are reproductions. They are so fragile. My all time favorite I think is from the 40s. I was in my grandparents tree and I always tried to pet the bird. I got it when they passes and one year it's shattered in packing I eventually found a replacement online.

Attachments

• IMG_20211127_194357_875.jpg
    IMG_20211127_194357_875.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 8

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Thanks, Lori! We have one ornament like the ones shown in Lori's third picture. I'm afraid to bring it out. It was my dad's when he was a kid. We use to hang it on the tree when I was growing up.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I have about a dozen of the ornaments that belonged to my MIL. They are getting so fragile that I have to use exceptional care when hanging them. They are truly cherished.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
With many homes having members serving in the military during World War II, people would often display an array of photos of their deployed family members. Families often made and mailed Christmas gifts of candy, cookies, and socks to those serving overseas, providing a little bit of “home” during their days of service. Today, that tradition continues, as we all remember those serving to protect our country.
I hope this tradition is carried on. In the 1980 when living in Germany, one of the soldiers I was working with received a Christmas box from her parents. Had cookies, candy, her Christmas stocking filled with gifts and letters from home. There were many tears and laughter that day. So it does not need to be a war to send a box.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
The year that DH was in Bosnia for Hanukkah in '98 I sent him a box with all hist gifts and a very alcoholic rum cake. Problem was that for customs you had to put a list of everything in the box on the outside customs slip so nothing was much of a suprise.

The cake was a big hit with his friends, though as the cake was able to circumvent the no alcohol policy:).

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Looking at old photos of my parent's parents Christmases, that is what the trees and ornaments were. Some, not many, we had passed down and were on our trees when I was a kid. My siblings and I were not allow to hang those or touch them. They were so pretty, I remember.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My mum gifted me some of her ornaments recently. One of the most special ones is a mercury glass house from the 40’s. It is amazing.