CIJ 2023 Christmas Through the Decades: 1950s: Toys That Hit the Scene, Some That Never Went Away, and Toys for the "Big Kids," Too! - Day 8

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
What a revelation to read about all the toys that came about during the 1950s – and are still as popular today as they were then!

The technological influence began to show up in toys allowing many to be made from plastic rather than other materials. Materials that had been being used to manufacture materials and supplies for World War II were available again.

How many of you still like to play with Silly Putty or put it into stockings every year for some unsuspecting receiver? Of course, there are fewer newspapers around with colored comic strips. Remember imprinting them onto the silly putty, then stretching them into distortion? Similar, but of a different consistency and use is Play-Doh – a forever favorite among children today.

Can you still hula hoop? Yep – it was one of those iconic toys, too. The Soviet Union banned the sale of them due to it’s being linked to the “indecency of the American culture.” Of course, it didn’t hurt that Elvis had his own hip gyrations going on making everyone want to immolate his shocking hip movements!

The matchbox car was invented when a child’s school wouldn’t allow toys at school that were larger than would fit into a matchbox. Still around and highly collectable in some circles.

Mr. Potato Head was designed in the mid-1940s but wasn’t formally marketed until 1952. The original ones included only the facial decorations and had to be put onto a real potato. It also had the fame of being one of the first widely advertised toys at a time that more and more homes began to buy televisions. The number of homes with televisions increased in 1942 from only 8,000 to more than 45 million by 1960. Popular television shows began to influence the gifts that were given. Daniel Boone made coon skin caps and BB guns popular gifts.

1688812583311.jpeg

Electric trains, whose major manufacturing company Lionel, had stopped producing trains to focus on building military essentials, became popular again and were often used to go around the base of the Christmas tree.

Fisher Price Little People and View Masters came onto the scene during this time as well.

And who can forget the iconic Barbie? She came out in 1959, and the world of dolls was forever changed. There’s even a Barbie movie coming out soon!

Frisbees came out in the 1950s. Now, we have frisbee golf courses!

Surprisingly, a few of the toys either came about by accident or previously had another use.

Silly Putty was made when an engineer from GE was trying to replicate rubber. Instead, he ended up with the bouncy substance known as “Silly Putty.”

Play-Doh was initially used to clean soot from walls from the use of coal in homes for heat – who knew? After World War II, homes were moving to being heated with oil, gas, and electricity. When sales began to wane, the sister-in-law of the company owner tried it out on her kindergarten students, and it was a hit!

Families were encouraged to spend time together playing board games. Popular board games included the already popular Monopoly, Name That Tune, Park and Shop, Candy Land (who hasn’t played Candy Land?!), Scrabble, Yahtzee, and Risk to name a few. Many of the games were used to promote the skills of using money, counting, reading, and/or writing.

1688812640005.jpeg

There were toys that promoted the traditional role of mother and father in a nuclear home. This was a time period that divorce was still frowned upon and most families were the traditional “nuclear” family. Girls were encouraged to play with dolls, paper dolls, and child sized replicas of kitchens or cleaning tools. Boys were often given toy tool sets or chemistry and doctor sets to nudge them toward “professional” careers. Many parents having grown up through the Depression period or seen the devastation of war wanted better more prosperous lives for their children. The gifts and celebrations often reflected this.

Let’s not forget the adults (Big Kid Toys) …

Along with the new homes came a back yard in many cases. For men, emphasis began to be placed on things to work in the yard or to cook outside. Automobiles were gaining in popularity and affordability. Gifts to maintain the car were pushed as the ideal gift to give to men. Sounds familiar to what we still buy, doesn’t it? Since men worked hard to be the bread winner. Gifts to help him relax after a hard day at work were promoted as just what dad needed.

1688812684994.jpeg

The home, and especially the kitchen, was the center of families in the 1950s. Since homes were turning to electricity as the power source, gifts that centered around the home were advertised widely as the perfect gift for women. Other common gifts were gold lipstick cases, cosmetic cases, jewelry, and perfume atomizers.

Something that was a surprise was this was the time that the art of gift wrapping began. In 1950, Drucella Lowrie published a manual entitled, The Art of Wrapping Gifts. She warned that “A sloppily wrapped package, or one too gaudy or too skimpy, indicates poor taste, indifference, or lack of skill—and inevitably detracts from the pleasure intended.”

What toys can you remember from the 1950s? Do you still have one you received as a child?

Come join us tomorrow when we’ll look at decorations of the 1950s. I bet some of you still have some of these jewels…

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
What a fun read!

Yep, in the late '60's and early '70's for me as a kid ... we had ALL those! I still got Silly Putty for MY kids in the '90's and 2000's as a stocking stuffer. :) Ah, so this is when plastic came into toys ... my little brother had metal Matchbox cars and we had wooden Fischer Price people in one or two sets. I never did master the hula hoop! LOL My mother's father had an electric train and it went around the grandparent's Christmas tree. It had this huge black control switch that I was afraid of! We three siblings grew up playing and loving board games. But our parents didn't play with us. It was just us three or of course friends. DH and I enjoyed cards and board games and then when our kids came, we played with them. And we all still do to this day. DD31 came this past January and June, from Vermont, and she brings along in her suitcase ... a new game! LOL

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
@missjane The pics look great! You figured it out! :)

You can edit your first post to add photos, if you wanted.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
This was so informative. Thank you. I especially enjoyed learning about match book cars, I never put the two and two together.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Loved it! As a child of the late 50’s, I knew all of those toys. Always wanted another “egg” of silly putty, but noooo … after the 1st one melted into the rear dash on a really hot summer day (along with a box of Crayolas).

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I am a child of the '50's and can't forget the Davy Crockett toys, the cap guns and character lunch boxes as well as shooting marbles with the neighborhood kids by the fire hydrants.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Oh my goodness, this yanked me right back to my childhood! Born in 1953, I remember ALL those toys. My Silly Putty ended up smooshed in the rug…my parents were not amused. I still love paper dolls and the smell of Play Doh and Barbies, and my View Master was magical.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
What a wonderful post. I was born 1965 but I still remember getting a few of these toys. I too could never Hula Hoop, I still can't! I think it is a real talent.
I think it shows that classic toys are timeless.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Almost every single one of those toys made it into our house except for a few of the named board games. Candyland was my favorite. When my kids were old enough to play, we played with candy in bowls that they could eat. They learned their colors real fast.

When life wasn't busy, my dad used to set up his trains on a raised platform in the basement. Then he'd set up the town and townspeople. We'd watch those trains and I told the story behind each person and building in that town.

Fisher-Price play sets were my favorite! When play sets for all the holidays were being sold, my kids received them for Christmas and birthday gifts.

Reactions: jampss

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Fisher-Price play sets were my favorite! When play sets for all the holidays were being sold, my kids received them for Christmas and birthday gifts.
My sister still has some of ours in her garage!!!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I don't remember silly putty accidents, but I remember definitely getting it in my stocking. Now Barbies were my everything as a kid. I loved barbies and I loved photographing my barbies. in the summer I'd build all kinds of rooms and things for my barbies out of cardboard and paper scraps and then I'd photograph my barbies in environments that fit her current outfit. As an only child I spent alot of time doing things like that and just creating stuff. it's probably why I'm a crafter to this day. I've always been a proponet of games and family game night and am blessed that that continued on with my daughter because she big into board games now. They own a video gaming platform, but never use it. When we visit each other, we pretty much spend our evenings playing games and it makes my hear super happy!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
As an only child I spent alot of time doing things like that and just creating stuff. it's probably why I'm a crafter to this day.
We only children did have a unique childhood. I would make dioramas and yarn doll families and craft to this day.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I don't remember silly putty accidents, but I remember definitely getting it in my stocking. Now Barbies were my everything as a kid. I loved barbies and I loved photographing my barbies. in the summer I'd build all kinds of rooms and things for my barbies out of cardboard and paper scraps and then I'd photograph my barbies in environments that fit her current outfit. As an only child I spent alot of time doing things like that and just creating stuff. it's probably why I'm a crafter to this day. I've always been a proponet of games and family game night and am blessed that that continued on with my daughter because she big into board games now. They own a video gaming platform, but never use it. When we visit each other, we pretty much spend our evenings playing games and it makes my hear super happy!
Have you seen the Barbie Dreamhouse Challenge on HGTV?

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
@Holiday_Mom Oh! That was over the top fun to look at! :) My sis and I each had a different Barbie House. Hours of fun ... plus the car, plane, bikes, and tents! I was jealous the my sis got Malibu Ken. I had plain Ken. LOL :D

• Haha
Reactions: Holiday_Mom

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008