CIJ 2023-Through the Decades- The 90's Movies and Music.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

1690497824304.png

The 90’s did not seem that long ago to me. My 2 children were born in 1988 and 1993 so the 90’s were peak Christmas times for our family. Hard to believe though that we are now talking 30 years since my youngest had her very first Christmas. The '90s really gave us some of the best Christmas traditions and memories of all time—and for that I will always be thankful. Here are the things that made Christmas in the '90s the best. I hope you enjoy a little walk down memory lane with me.

Things seemed simpler in the '90s, and Christmas was no exception. Back then, a great way to entertain the kids was to pop on a movie to keep them occupied while you tried in vain to get some Christmas prep done. We had a CD player that you could put 5 CDs in at a time and they played Christmas carols non stop for hours.

With streaming services such as Netflix and Disney+ today's kids will never get to experience the joys of how we watched movies in the 90’s. The novelty of heading to the video store to pick out some holiday viewing was something to look forward to. Kids would pester us parents to drive to the local Blockbuster or Video Ezy, scan the shelves to see which movies were available to hire on VHS, looking for the best weekly deals and physically renting them. Carrying bags of movies home, snuggling in and watching some holiday classics was a great night in. You of course had to remember to return the movies to the store on the due day or else a fine would be imposed and as always “Be kind, please rewind”

Movies and Music

Here are the top 10 most popular Christmas movies from the 90’s.
1690497806651.png

*The Santa Clause 1994

*Home Alone 1990

*I’ll be home for Christmas 1998

*Jingle all the way 1996

*The Nightmare before Christmas 1993

*The Muppet’s Christmas Carol 1992

*Miracle on 34th Street (remake) 1994

*Mickey’s Once upon a Christmas 1999

*Jack Frost 1998

*Elmo saves Christmas 1996.

And 10 of the most popular Christmas albums of the 90’s.

1690497785156.png

*Merry Christmas by Mariah Carey 1994

*Miracles, the Holiday Album by Kenny G 1994

*Home for Christmas by Amy Grant 1992

*Beyond the Season by Garth Brooks 1992

*When my heart finds Christmas by Harry Connick Jr 1994

*These are Special Times by Celine Dion 1998

*Home for Christmas by NSYNC 1998

*Snowed in by Hanson 1997

*A Very Special Season by Diana Ross 1994

*A Holiday Collection by Jewel 1999

How many of these do you still have in your collection and play every year?

Last edited:

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I think I have the Amy Grant album.

Great list!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
When my kids were little my DH worked for UPS so we were unable go to my parents home in MI. On Christmas day we would take the kids to the "cheap theater" and watch the latest Disney release. The kids loved it! It was basically the only time of year we went to the movie theater. It was an easy time. I could go to the thrift store and get gently used toys and they were happy and excited.

Music was the familiar carols and what they were learning for the Children's program at church.

Last edited:

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
It wouldn't be Christmas here without Home Alone and The Santa Clause, and lots of music from those albums. I still have the Garth Brooks album on CD. Blockbuster, OMG! Ours started charging a fee if you failed to rewind. They'd tag it to your Blockbuster membership card and you'd have to pay it before you could check out again. DH and DD would always buy some of their microwave popcorn packages or boxes of theater candy to enoy during the movines.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
The Santa Clause, Home Alone, Jack Frost are all favorites. I also love The Nightmare Before Christmas and saw it in the theater when it came out. We used to watch the remake of Miracle on 34th Street, but I haven't watched it since I was younger.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Dh is a huge collector of movies, and he has all those movies on the list. We watched all our Christmas movies every December. Even though we continued buying a new Christmas CD every year, we don't have any of the ones on the list. We were buying collections of various artists at that time.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I still have the Harry Connick Jr. CD :)

Pretty much every movie on the list is one we love and own! I do not think we have seen the Elmo movie - and I am ok with that! LOL

Muppets Christmas Carol is my favorite version of CC ever!!!

I also have music from all the films in my Christmas playlist - love it!!!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I was pregnant with DD30 when Home Alone 2 came out in 1992. She was born December 11th. I thought I was going to go into labor from laughing so hard during the movie. DH was working at a video rental store during that time. We could bring home and watch any unrented movies we wanted to. Christmas movies always topped the list.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
We have seen and loved:
*The Santa Clause 1994
*Home Alone 1990
*Jingle all the way 1996
*The Muppet’s Christmas Carol 1992 (My fav, too, @AuntJamelle )

DD31 likes this one:
*The Nightmare before Christmas 1993

We don't have any of those albums, but the one Mariah Carey song (All I Want for Christmas) we love to hear and I have enjoyed Kenny G.

Wow, Blockbuster brought back memories! It's weird to think back to a time before computers and buying online, eh?!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I saw Home Alone at the theatre. I saw The Muppet’s Christmas Carol when my kids received it as a gift in the mid 2000's. I haven't seen the others. I don't have any of the music CDs.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Interesting thing about the Muppet CC .... So, I have it on VHS and it has a song sung by Michael Cane's young character and the girl. I'ts the back in Christmas past when she breaks up with him because he is all about money and putting off their marriage.

When I bought the DVD some years later ... that song is cut from the movie???!!!??? It's a good song!

Reactions: AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
That is too weird @jampss !!!

We have the DVD and the song IS on it. BUT that spot on the DVD, right in the middle of the song - freezes every time - so I have to skip past the part where it freezes to avoid it happening. Tried cleaning the DVD etc. to no avail.

We have Disney+ now and stream the movie when we watch it so I haven't thought about that DVD glitch in a while!

No idea why it would be completely cut? Very strange!

• Wow
Reactions: jampss

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Hey! I found it on YT!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
And this has Michael talking about trying to sing ...