CIJ 2023-Through the Decades- The 90's Traditions.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Christmas in the 90’s

Traditions and events.​

Traditions are very important to our family and we would make a real effort to ensure that they were followed to the best that we could.

Here in Australia we celebrate Christmas slightly differently because Christmas is in Summer and at the end of the school year.

Some of the traditions that we had here I am sure are what was being celebrated all over the world. Here are some of the classic traditions of the 90s as I remember.

*Class parties: sending fairy bread or some other treat on a paper plate covered in cling film. No worries about food allergies, they did not seem to exist in the 90’s.
1690675160985.png

*Driving to look at Christmas lights: We would pack some cold drinks and a snack and head off just after dark which was around 8.30pm here. The kids would often be asleep by the first house!

*Letter to Santa: A letter to Santa was written in late November and sent to the North Pole. This letter writing was serious business and the kids would spend quite a while telling Santa how good they had been through the year.

*Shopping at the Mall: Remember getting $5.00 to spend at the mall? The pleasure of buying a gift for everyone on your list was a very grown up thing to do. I got a box of push pins one year as my son thought that they would be useful.

*Charity food/toy drive: We learned the importance of helping those that we not as lucky as we were. The kids would clean their room in the weeks leading up to Christmas and the toys that were no longer needed were donated to charity. Most large stores here would have a charity giving tree where you could place food items and gifts. We would purchase new gifts for a child the same age us ours, wrap it and place it under the tree to be given out to people in need. I always wrapped one for a Mum and Dad so that there would be something for them too.

*Visiting Santa: We took the kids to the mall most years for the annual visit to Santa and the traditional Christmas photo.

1690675175911.png

*Advent Calendar: There was much delight on December 1st and the kids got to open the first window on their chocolate advent calendar. One year my son figured out how to open the advent calendar from the bottom without opening the windows. He did this and ate every single chocolate out of his sister’s calendar. She was so upset when she opened the windows to discover that her chocolates were gone.

We also had a handmade countdown that the kids could place an item on very similar to the one below.

1690675191597.png

*New clothes for Christmas:
Every year we got a new outfit for Christmas. Most times it was a new tee shirt, shorts and skirt that would be suitable for the hot weather. My daughter nearly always got a new scrunchie or hair clips.

1690675207460.png 1690675219695.png

*A new ornament for the tree: We gave our kids a new ornament every year for them to place on the tree.

1690675231843.png

*Cookies for Santa: We would leave biscuits for Santa but instead of milk we would leave out a cold drink as the milk would spoil in the heat. We would always leave carrots and a bucket of water for the reindeer.

1690675242330.png

I would love to hear of some traditions that you remember from the 90’s.

Last edited:

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I married DH in 1991
DD was born in 1992

We did some of the things on your nice list! Looking at lights, shopping at the mall, tried the Santa picture thing and shy DD would have none of it, and making ornaments for the tree.

We have homemade ornaments from every year from DD and DS. And when we went on vacation, I liked to buy a souvenir Christmas ornament.

DH had work party, we had Sunday school party, and we had our homeschool group party. And of course visiting the grandparents and my sis and niece.

And the tradition of watching all the old and new Christmas movies. We kept gifts simple and some things even came from thrift stores. We even had a stocking for the cat.

A special food to make was my mother’s mother’s Kuchen. It is a yeast pastry dough filled with poppyseed paste and jelly rolled, risen, baked, and frosting-glazed. YUM

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We even had a stocking for the cat.
We have stockings for the dogs and we wrap gifts for them for under the tree.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Yes, those traditions were very similar to ours. We loved driving throughout the neighborhood looking at the lights and outdoor decorations. There were always a handful of homes that everyone knew about who went really overboard -- one with a life-sized animated Santa and Mrs. Claus in the window. DD loved doing that, even as a teen.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
All our dogs have had stocking but Buffy's in the biggest! And she gets wrapped presents too.

We also give some sort of edible gift to our neighbors and now give gifts to the neighbor's dogs too.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
We always spent Christmas morning with my parents & grandmother at our house for presents and breakfast, with more presents & dinner at my parents’ house. (They lived 2 doors away.) Sometime the week before Christmas we went to dh’s family. Dmil fixed a special Christmas dinner when we visited, with my favorite date-nut pudding (even if no one else cared for it). Then we went caroling to her neighbors & friends and delivered goodies she made and heaped onto plates. Every year we would pile the kids, and sometimes my parents, into the car to drive around to look at and ooh & aah at the decorated houses and yards; and we continued even after the kids left home. Work parties, usually in a nice restaurant, with great food and games to steal silly white elephant-type gifts. Church parties with delicious pot luck dishes, entertainment, and Santa for the kids. One year we joined some friends to carol on horseback, but that did NOT become a tradition - it was too cold and snowy, and the neighbors didn’t seem to appreciate the horses on their lawn outside their door...for some reason.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Our family traditions change over the years to fit the way we are living. In the early 90's my brothers and I were in high school and college. When we were in high school, we sang in the school choir. We put on a Christmas concert for the school and community. We would also be invited to sing at the mall while people shopped. My parents usually looked for a tree the second week of December.

As we started college, we weren't around to get a tree with my parents because of our work and finals schedule. They would go with whoever was available and decorate the tree with whoever was around that night. All the ornaments from when we were kids still went up. We changed the time of going to church from Christmas morning to Christmas Eve. Christmas morning we opened gifts, had an egg casserole for brunch and then the head down to see my aunts and cousins.

By the late 90's, two of us were married and once again, traditions changed. I used an artificial tree and used my own box of homemade ornaments from my childhood to decorate the tree. Dh and I hosted my siblings and parents at my place for appetizers and then we headed over to Christmas Eve Mass. We had brunch at my parents and Christmas dinner with my dh's family.

Reactions: jampss

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
@GrammaDeb Oh, I love to play the White Elephant game and we did this at Sunday school party and also the homeschooling moms brunch. Good times!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I've started playing the Left-Right game at our annual Hanukkah party using either a straight winter theme or making something into a Hanukkah theme.

Everyone groans when I say it's time to play but everyone is laughing and trading candies (the gifts) when it is done.

It will continue as "tradition"

Reactions: jampss and Lori K

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
*Class parties: sending fairy bread or some other treat on a paper plate covered in cling film. No worries about food allergies, they did not seem to exist in the 90’s.
Isn't that the truth! I baked cupcakes for all sorts of special days at school and sent in treat bags loaded with goodies. Can't say I ever heard of a child that couldn't eat what was prepared, maybe their parents kept them at home? I think Sophia was halfway through elementary school at least when a peanut table became a thing.