CIJ Christmas Through the Decades: 1980's- Commercials

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I wanted to take you on a journey through the commercials of the 1980's. The Folgers commercial still gets me. I forgot how many McDonalds commercials there were back then and how meaningful they were. My, how things have changed. The commercials back then were some much more wholesome and family oriented.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Gotta love those Clydesdales!

Reactions: jampss

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Oh, I'd forgotten all about Mooseltoe and Rodney the Reindeer! And those Toys 'R Us commercials were always so cute and memorable.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
So many trips down memory lane!

Okay so maybe I teared up at the Folgers commercial too - I couldn't help it!!!! :D

I laughed out loud to see and remember the little chicken nugget people! Had totally forgotten those!!! Thank you for this!!!!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Awwww, the bunny one at the end! Those 7-up Dots and McDonald's!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Oh my goodness... These are great! I love the Toys R Us, Dunkin Donuts, Christmas Crunch, Pizza Hut, Fruity Pebblies commercials.

Was Slice soda renamed Sierra Mist which is now called Starry? I don't remember the Bell and AT & T, Clorox, , Cheer, or Cascade commercials.

McDonald's Chicken Nuggets must have been a hit. I like the talking nuggets. There was one showing two new dipping sauce flavors: Apple Cinnamon and Cranberry Orange. I may have to try making those sauces and offering out chicken nuggets this Christmas. :D

Zayre's commercial was cool. I hadn't heard of them before.

Also, from a marketing perspective - Burger King offered Hallmark's Rodney and Rhoda reindeer for $1.99 with a purchase and then used the logo from Fast Times at Ridgemont High in their wording: Best Food for Fast Times. They were trying to get the parents, young kids and teens to go to Burger King in one fell swoop.