Comfort foods for fall?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

leslie03

Retire Member
Jul 14, 2008
Augusta, GA
I would have to say chili with corn bread, topped with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. Oh I also LOVE to make apple pie in the fall. I also like soup in the fall, but don't make it much for us.

Holiday Nut

Retire Member
Nov 5, 2007
Christmas Town
My favorite fall comfort foods are:

meatloaf
roasts
sweet potato casserole
turkey with gravy and stuffing (thanksgiving is my favorite!)
pumpkin muffins
apple crisp
chicken noodle soup

Ms_Speedy_Elf

MHH Member
Aug 16, 2008
Tennessee
mymerrychristmas.com
A nice big bowl of piping HOT chili with cheese in it and a dollop of sour cream .I put macaroni in my chili. Does anyone else do this? It makes it more filling and makes it stretch farther.

Something else I like is called Hobo Stew.It's real easy to make

2 lbs of hamburger ,chopped up like your making it for sloppy joes or spaghetti sauce .Cook it until cooked through and drain grease

Add half a medium chopped up onion

A large can of pork and beans

Ketchup to taste.

Mix everything together and cook until the onions are soft and the beans are heated through.Its really good and also good with corn bread.

Also love tomato soup and grilled cheese

My favorite comfort drink is English Toffee Cappachino

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
MMMM, so many good foods listed. Some of my favorite fall comfort foods are:

*meatloaf (made one yesterday)
*beef roast with potatoes and carrots
*chicken and dumplings
*hamburger stew/gravy (brown ground beef (i always use chuck), mix in a large can (or 2 regular soup cans) cream of mushroom soup, heat thru and serve over mashed potatoes, so yummy.
* this time of year i always look forward to caramel apples, cider and warm donuts too

ciderjo

Retire Member
Sep 1, 2008
Pot roast
Rich Onion Beef Soup with Cheesy Bread
Roast chicken with Mashed Potatoes and gravy
Chicken Pot pie
Irish Potato Soup
Lasagna
Beef Stew
Chili with jalapeno corn bread
Sliced apples with caramel dipping sauce
Pumpkin pie
Pecan Pie
Apple Crisp

I'm so hungry now.

wadeallie

Premiere Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central Vermont
Mine would have to be Homemade Mac and cheese and
Pot Roast with veggies.

I make my pot roast in the crock pot with 2 whole onions cut up, the roast, and a mixture of (1) can mushroom and roasted garlic soup, 1 cup beef broth, and (1) can of pepsi. In the last 2 hours, I add carrots and potatoes and right before serving, I use the juice in the crockpot to make gravy.

Mac & cheese:
Make a white sauce with 3 Tab. flour, 3 Tab. margarine, and add enough milk to make a thick sauce. I spice it up with a sprinkle of garlic powder, salt, pepper and paprika. Add 1 cup grated mild cheddar and 1 cup sharp cheddar. Stir in cooked ziti noodles. The big holes of the ziti fill with the cheese sauce. Pour this into a casserole dish and top with crushed barbeque potato chips and small pieces of margarine. Bake at 350 about 20-25 min till browned.

thechristmasnut

Retire Member
Jun 30, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
One of my all time fall favorites is Brunswick Stew... Its actually one of my favorites all the time but especially durning cool weather...

BRUNSWICK STEW

6 cups water
1(28oz) can Stewed Tomatoes
2(14oz) cans diced tomatoes with juice
3/4 cup ketchup
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
3/4 tsp hot sauce
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup barbecue spice
2(15 oz) cans whole kernel corn
1/2 roasting chicken (about 1-1/2 lbs)
2/3 lb ground beef
1 1/2 lbs onions, diced (about 4 cups)
3/4 lb smoked pork (pulled pork, or 1 lb ground pork, see note)

Cut chicken into pieces, place in a stockpot and cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until chicken is tender, about 30 minutes. Remove chicken and pour stock into a bowl or large measuring cup. When chicken is cool, discard skin. Pull meat from bones and discard bones. Tear meat into small pieces.

In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until about half done. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add chicken and pulled pork. Stir and cook until well mixed and heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer the meat mixture to the stockpot. Stir in 4 cups of the reserved chicken stock. Stir in tomatoes and their juice, ketchup, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, salt, pepper, sugar, barbecue spice and corn. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer about 1 hour. Stir occasionally, adding stock if needed.

pkcrafty

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Central Arkansas
A nice big bowl of piping HOT chili with cheese in it and a dollop of sour cream .I put macaroni in my chili. Does anyone else do this? It makes it more filling and makes it stretch farther.

Ditto here, but I love putting fritos with mine and making a lovely chili pie.ummmm :hat: