Cooking for 20 people

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I need to figure out what we'll be eating for DD's birthday this weekend... 16 people. I wanted to order chicken but DH said it'll cost $200 just for supper. It may be pizza or else I cook something (no gril because it is supposed to be very rainy and windy on saturday). Any ideas? I have a crock I can use to keep things hot and I might be able to borrow another one.

DH's family is a bit fussy though. Dessert is taken care of - SIL will get a cake made with DD's picture on it (and DS too since his bday was the 7th of april)

This thread could be useful when receiving for Christmas too.

Some ideas:
- Lasagna (can't do this because SIL did this 2 weeks ago)
- Salad bar (DH's family does not eat salad!)
- Potato bar (DH's family eats 'em potatoes plain / with butter)
- Soup Bar - could be an option but for them... soup is not a complet meal so I'd still have to make something else.
- Sloppy Joes... DH says it's not quite fancy enough.. and one of his sisters won't eat it (she doesn't eat anything with mustard, ketchup or mayonnaise in it... fussy!)

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I just read to do Mexican buffets when serving large groups....have some taco meat, (pork, chicken or beef) beans, rice, soft and hard tortillas and all the toppings.

Soup can be a meal. Just serve it with an assortment of rolls/breads. Put out toppings for the soups too...sour cream, bacon bits, etc. Add a lunch meat tray and then you can have soup and sandwiches.

Best of luck!

chrisaholic

Retire Member
Nov 24, 2007
Newfoundland, Canada
We have DHs family in every Christmas Eve. We have had between 25 to 34 people depending on who is home for Christmas. We usually serve a baked ham and a baked/stuffed salmon, and chicken nuggets for the kids. Along with this we serve a variety of hot and cold dishes (ie. layered baked potato dish and a potato salad plus french fries for the kids, a variety of salads - usually a 3 bean salad and a jello salad) devilled eggs, etc. I try to offer a variety of things trying to cover all areas. Even though you have a large number of people,they will not all taste everything so you don't have to have a huge amount of any one dish.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I was thinking exactly what Lisa said - a Mexican buffet. I did this for my brother's couples wedding shower. I cheated on some things - like I bought fresh salsa from a local Mexican restaurant (cheaper and way better than store bought) and they even threw in the chips. I also asked the restaruant if I could buy bulk chicken already seasoned and ready to go so that cut out on prep time. See what a local restaurant will do for you and I bet you get by with far less than $200 and maybe less time in the kitchen, too!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Mexican won't work for them... too fussy BUT soup & sandwiches is not bad. Baked ham is a good idea too.

I know I'll make veggies & dip.

Ah , to receive people who are not fussy!!!!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Ham
Rolls
Baked beans
Potato Salad or Coleslaw
Pickles
Fresh veggies and dip
Horseradish sauce (mayo and horseradish mixed together, may add a little sugar)
Angry sauce (mayo with Hot sauce added)
Mustard

Whatever you decide on, keep it simple so you can enjoy yourself! Have a great time and take photos to record the memories.

Baked beans
2-16 oz cans of baked beans (cheap kind)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon mustard or 1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 cup ketchup
Recipe states to bake at 325F degrees for 2 1/2 hours. I toss mine into a crock pot in the morning on med to low setting. You can add cooked chopped bacon.

Potato Salad
8 Chopped cold peeled cooked potatoes (could use macaroni instead)
4 hard cooked eggs (2 diced for the salad, 2 sliced to decorate the top)
2 stalks chopped celery
1/2 chopped onion
1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
Handful of sliced green olives
I sometimes add frozen peas, chopped radishes, black olives.

Dressing for the potato Salad
1/2 cup Mayo with 1 tablespoon sweet pickle juice or apple cider vinegar
Adjust this amount to your taste, some like more dressing.
Can toss on some cooked chopped bacon (OK, I do like bacon!)

Coleslaw
1 bag shredded cabbage
1 cup mayo
Few drops sesame seed oil
Thin mayo with some rice wine vinegar
May add some sugar, chopped cilantro and chopped peanuts if desired.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Ahorsesoul I like your simple recipes! Never thought of baked beans starting from cans! I'll keep those in mind. Thanks.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
luludou- What about a sandwich bar- put out different meats, cheese, toppings, mustard, mayo, and a couple types of breads. Add a salad or two, good to go.

Annie

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
When we do the family birthday parties for the family we usually serve

Option 1 sloppy joes and either hot roast beef sandwhiches (lunch meat roast beef soaking in beef broth in a crock pot - depends if I can find a good price on the roast beef) or meatballs sandwhiches (meatballs and sauce in a crockpot),

Option 2 - grill up hotdogs, hamburger and chicken legs

With either we also have cheesy nacho dip, french onion dip, potato salad and macaroni salad and sometimes fresh fruit.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
What's not to love about mexican? Seriously...if you have meat choices and a veggie option, how can you not love it?

I didn't consider ham, since most people just had it at Easter. Could you just do appetizers and forgo the whole dinner thing, or is it a dinner?

You're getting some good ideas.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I just want to add....I'm just so thrilled to be asked out to a party and to not have to cook that I'm not too fussy about what they're serving. LOL

chrisaholic

Retire Member
Nov 24, 2007
Newfoundland, Canada
I always serve baked beans with my ham. I usually do a similar recipe as Ahorseoul but add I use one can of kidney beans and one can of baked beans (cheap kind) and I also add to her recipe 1 tbsp. of mustard, some bacon bits, and a small can of crushed pineapple (juice too). It makes a sweet baked bean and is a little different.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks for all your ideas! I'll keep them in mind for when MY family comes... they are not fussy ... and they would love Mexican Lisa! as well as anything else... I agree when you don't have to cook.. you should just appreciate.

DH decided he wants spaghetti... so it'll be that (I have to check if I have enough spaghetti sauce left) with bread & salad. Veggies & dip. & cake for dessert.

Does anyone have an idea how to keep the pasta from being overcooked.... of course they won't all eat when everything is ready :( I'll keep the sauce in the crock though.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Do they like BBQ? Could do a crockpot or roaster up of that and then sides.

My sister had a b'day party this week-end for her 5 yr old and she had Ham sliders on small buns~with cheese and baked, pickle roll ups, little cherry tomatoes cut in half (stuff taken out) and filled with a mixture of cream cheese and basil, 3 dips with chips and a fruit salad.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Cook the pasta until 1/2 way done, rinse off and place in big bowl. Keep a big pot of water simmering on the stove. When it's time to eat put the pasta in the pot. It will only take a few minutes for it to finishing cooking.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Along the pasta line...baked ziti is always easy and delish. I'd do a tray with meat and one without.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
You know Lisa... here nobody ever heard of Zitis! I know they are a kind of pasta... Mac cooked the same way as Zitis is a good idea too.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
No Ziti? It is a tube pasta that is smooth. You could use rigatoni instead.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'll do the same recipe but use macaroni instead. Was supposed to be spaghetti but DD just changed her mind. So it's baked macaroni.