Cooking mashed potatoes in the crock-pot

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
MASHED POTATOES. You can actually make mashed potatoes in your slow cooker, start to finish, and allow them to hold for hours until you’re ready to eat.

5 pounds sierra gold potatoes or red potatoes, diced with peel
1 cup water
1 cup butter, cut into chunks
1 tablespoon salt, more to taste
1 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder (optional)
3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/3 cups milk, warmed

Place the potatoes, water, and butter into a slow cooker. Add salt, garlic powder (if using) and pepper. Toss to distribute evenly. Cover, and cook on High for 4 hours. Do not drain the liquid. Mash potatoes with a masher or electric beater, adding the desired amount of warm milk to achieve a creamy consistency. Keep warm on Low or Keep Warm until serving. Mashed potatoes will hold for several hours using this method.

from Everyday Cheapskate 4 Dec 07

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Sounds very tempting. Have you tried it?

Curious if you tried it also. I remember reading a mashed potato crockpot recipe somewhere that you have to be careful because some crockpots if their low setting is still a little hot your potatoes can wind up sticking and "burn/crisp" a little more than you might want....lol!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
No, I've not tried this. Might for Christmas dinner.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
christmascreations said:
Curious if you tried it also. I remember reading a mashed potato crockpot recipe somewhere that you have to be careful because some crockpots if their low setting is still a little hot your potatoes can wind up sticking and "burn/crisp" a little more than you might want....lol!!

For big holiday/family dinners, I make my mashed potatoes ahead of time and put them in the crockpot to reheat/keep warm. A year or so ago I got a new crockpot and it did heat differently. Luckily I caught it before too late, but the sides began to brown. So it definitely can happen.

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
I make my mashed potatoes a day ahead and reheat them in the crock pot. It works GREAT, and the potatoes taste fresh. My crockpot cooks really hot, too, so I just make sure to butter the sides a little and stir them a few times during the reheating. It's still easier than mashing them that day!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
For Thanksgiving I made mine early in the day and warmed them in the crockpot. They were really good, and i didn't have any problems. I think I'll do it again for Christmas Eve.