Crafters Challenge June 29th-July 5th, 2014

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Welcome my Friends to the last week of June (or couple days) and into CIJ Month!!!

I will really be making that list.

Want to finish a burp rag this a.m. to send home with Jaymee. Started before or after Teigan was born and found it. Just firemen material on a diaper. I put the material width way. I have seen them done width and length. Have never any with diapers before.

What is on your list?

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
Hi Lana and everyone!

Last week I finished knitting 2 more dishcloths. I only work on them at night while watching tv, so some nights I do more or less than others.

I received a fb message a couple of days ago from my sister in-law asking if I had anything I've made that she could use as prizes at her soon to be daughter in-law's bridal shower. For that I made, 2 infinity scarves, 2 sets of zipper bags (3 sizes each), 2 embroidered tea-towels, and 2 key fobs. I was able to finish that up this weekend, packaged and ready to mail in the morning.

Have a great week!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'm still working on the set of 3 felt pictures for DS's space themed room. Finished everything but the final embroidery embellishments on the second picture.

Hope to start color planning and cutting out pattern pieces for the third -and most complex - of the three "pictures" tonight!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
AJ, I am interested in this fusing that you used to make your pictures. I would like to do a thanksgiving advent calendar. It sounds like what I need to put it together. Can you advise me on what to use?

I am going to try and finish DGSs' junk journals for our trip. I need to finish them before going to the beach because I will only have a 2 day turn around before leaving for our family vacation. If I can at least get everything printed, I can put it together at night at the beach! DDs will probably want to help me.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Sounds like a nice project for the evenings Jane.

AuntJ, you are still doing so good on stuff!

I am working on some ornaments (like I did for swap last yr. didn't do one for myself and a couple other people)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
missjane - I'm happy to share what I know on the fusible webbing! You Advent calendar sounds like a great idea! Are you going to be using felt? If you are, I would definitely advise using wool felt or a blend - it will hold up to being held and used so much better than acrylic felts.

I'm lucky enough to have a craft store nearby that sells it in small sheets as well as the big bolts - it isn't a chain store - I haven't seen any of those carry wool felt :( Just a thought!

In any case, the fusible webbing itself is called just that or sometimes it is called "Wonder Under" :)

It is the in the same section as interfacing is at the sewing store. I had to ask the ladies the first time to help me find it. They cut it off the bolt just like they would fabric, in whatever amount you want. It will be paper on one side and slightly sticky rough on the other. And layered with the webbing is a very thin paper set of instructions that repeat over and over throughout the whole bolt. So make sure you get a complete set of instructions with what they cut off for you. If you get at least a half yard you should be fine - but check!

The instructions are pretty clear, but I'll summarize what I do below too:

FUSIBLE WEBBING TECHNIQUE

1.) The easiest way I've found to do this process is to place your template under the fusible webbing and trace it. BUT remember to do the reverse image. You will be using your pen, pencil, whatever to draw on the side of the webbing that feels/looks like paper. (The other side will feel gummy and webby)

So if you are tracing an image you've printed, you either have to flip the image before you print it or turn the paper over and trace all the lines onto the backside of the paper first.

I've also simply cut all my pattern pieces out of the computer paper, flipped them over, and carefully traced around them. Sometimes I have to print multiple copies of the image to get full pattern pieces of every shape I'm trying to create.

2.) Once you have traced everything onto the paper side of the fusible webbing, roughly cut out your picture--not on the lines. I try to leave a small margin outside the lines because the more extra you leave, the more of your felt/fabric you waste.

3.) Iron the cut out shapes onto your desired piece of felt or fabric. The instructions that come with the webbing should cover this part, but basically you place the shape with the sticky/webby side down. You cover it with a dry cloth - flour sack towel or something like that is best, you want it lint free and not too thick. And then you press down with the iron for several seconds. You want to get the shape good and stuck to the fabric but it doesn't take too long. Note: I use the wool or cotton setting on the iron.

4.) Once it has cooled a bit, you can then cut out your shape on the lines.

5.) Finally, you peel off the paper backing which reveals another sticky surface. You place the shape, sticky side down on desired felt or fabric. You use a damp cloth - usually the one I used during the dry pressing phase) to cover the image. Press down with the iron for a good 20 seconds or so - it will hiss and steam that's normal.

Carefully lift up iron, check image - then I usually press again with damp cloth just to make sure the shape is stuck on good and tight.

That is it! I started with basic shapes for quiet book pages and once I gained confidence I've found I can do much more complex things, layer images, etc.

I used this technique on the felt ornaments I made recently that look like little girls in winter coats. It is so helpful to stick down the felt pieces with this webbing before sewing, embroidering, etc. They don't move around and distort that way.

Happy crafting! I'm happy to discuss it more if you have any questions :)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
AJ you have done beautiful work and thanks for the informations.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
AJ, Thank you for the craft class! Love your felt pictures.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Aunt Jamelle, I have used Wonder Under before and forgot all about it! lol I plan to do most of it in felt. If there's something I want to do that I can't find the color for, I'll use another fabric. Thanks for the information!!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I had a skein and a bit of of red boa yarn, and knitted up a quick scarf to add to my emerging gift closet :)

Looking at my mint I think I shall dry some and make some mint scented Epsom salts and dry some for tea :)