Crafters Challenge Sept. 1st-Sept. 7th

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

So a new month is starting and in a few weeks a new season!!!!!

About 3 3/34 months until Christmas. Like 117 or 116 days I do believe!!!!

I am crocheting the scarfs for the 12 Days of Christmas swap and doing some for gifts.

I have to do Jaymee a new stocking and would like to do an apron and other items from the wine theme material.

Vanilla is still sitting and smells so good.

Have sewing to do for a great nephew (Mason-in Texas) due Sept. 27th. And then of course for Nugget (that is what Ryan calls theirs).

Plans for any other sewing or crafts need to get on paper so I can see them.

Will have my annual ornaments to do for family/friends.

Are you narrowing down your to do craft list for the holidays?

Happy Crafting to ALL!

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
Hi Lana and everyone!

Lana it sounds like you have been very productive! I saw a picture of your scarves on your blog and they look very nice. That is a great swap gift! They will be lucky to receive them

I finished the headbands and needed a sewing break. Several months ago, like early spring, HSN had a special on the Silhouette Cameo. I never liked my Cricut, so I decided I needed the Cameo. After moving the box around all summer I finally decided to dive in and learn how to use the Cameo. After watching hours of youtube videos to learn how to use it - I am up and running. I started making ornaments with vinyl sayings on them. And this morning I did a wine glass. As soon as I have the ornaments finished, I will post some pics on my blog. It will take a few days because I used clear glass balls and I am going to glitter the insides. Its time consuming, but its fun!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Carol, They really do a lot with the vinyl and the circuits. I also need to use mine more. I never use it---thought I had to have it. I love the wall sayings and all they do with it. Have you ever tried cutting material with yours? I haven't.

They haven't posted the swap yet---normally do anytime time in Sept.--I think. Trying to get a jump on the items and not be last minute.

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
I have cut fabric with the cricut, but not the cameo yet. It was easy, just iron on the "heat n bond" to the back and put it on the cutting mat. It cut very nicely.

The Cameo connects to my computer, so there aren't any cartridges like there was with the cricut.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Wonderful! I have added some tasks to my Christmas planner such as:

• Knit scarf (a left over project from last season!)
  • Fall banner for the kitchen porch (burlap)
  • Start the vanilla!
  • Start the peppermint bath salts (mint from the garden)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Tammy I want to thank you for the idea of making vanilla. It is so much better than what you buy in the store.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
I am hoping to accomplish much this upcoming season with crafts:

1. finish afghan for my son's girlfriend
2. Make afghan for my daughter, son in law, and son
3. work on a few sewing projects for a friend bibs, table runner, and garbage bag holder.
4. Photo books for my son and daughter

~ Farmerswife

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Several months ago, like early spring, HSN had a special on the Silhouette Cameo. I never liked my Cricut, so I decided I needed the Cameo.

I might ask for a Silhouette for Christmas. I've always thought they would be fun but didn't like the idea of buying cartridges with the Cricut. Glad to hear your thought on the Cameo.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Glad to see more people thinking of the Christmas crafts.

I have to do a fleece blanket for my nephews 7th b'day which the party is the 14th. I did both his sisters one for their 7th. So I need to go see about some fleece. 2 1/2 yards of 2 colors.

Carol, I would love to come spend time with you and learn some of the techy stuff. LOL! I just need to take the time and try the stuff!

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
Lana, just come on down, we'll have a great time!
Diedra, I like the Cameo much more than I do the Cricut. I still have a lot to learn with the software, but I do like not buying cartridges. I had only bought a couple for the Cricut and never had what I wanted.

I took a break from the ornaments today, I was having a creative block. So, I tried something else. I monogrammed wine glasses. I posted a picture on my blog. The color doesn't show very well in the picture, the monogram and chevron are hot pink and both are vinyl.

http://clouscorner.blogspot.com/2013/09/monogrammed-chevron-wine-glass.html

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Just popping in with a quick report... :)

Almost finished sewing up the back of the felt dragon last night - I have to sew on each individual colored "scale" as I go along so its time consuming. But I only have 2 more scales to go!

Then all that is left is to finish sewing up the body, leaving hole for stuffing. I also need to attach the legs but that should be quick. Hoping to finish this little guy this week and get started on some peg people "knights"!

jyclassy

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Vanilla

Not sure where to post but am wanting to know where can I find the directions for making your own vanilla? Thanks. jy

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have been making it for several years. I just pulled up making homemade vanilla and several post came up.

I use vodka and vanilla beans. The beans I purchase off e-bay. Then when I put the vanilla in containers to give I pull the beans all out and put into sugar to make vanilla sugar. Some people use brandy to make it. But it turns brown on its own with you just shaking the jars. You can leave the beans in a container too and they say just add more vodka but I start out fresh each year.

AJ good job.

I finished another scarf at lunch today.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I do the same as Lana, a bottle of vodka and vanilla beans. I keep adding beans every year but never toss out the old ones. I've only been doing this for two years so far. It turns out very good. Probably would make a nice drink but I wouldn't know what. Will have to look this up.

I found this and since I also make my own Kahlua it would work for me.
http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink5016.html

Last edited:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Crafters Challange Sept. 8th-14th

I finished 2 more scarfs. I have 6 done (have to sew ends with thread) for the 12 Days of Christmas swap. They haven't announced it yet. I have 3 for gifts 1 odd and I know I need to do Jaymee 2, mom 1 and a few for prizes for baby shower I am thinking.

Of course I have ton of sewing to do a new great nephew, our baby to come and some Christmas gifts.

I have to get fleece and do a blanket for my nephew for Saturday. A trip to Fairview I have to go. 50 minutes one way--ugh!

Sounds like several are thinking of gifts.

Happy Crafting this week.

HALF of September will be done at the end of this week.