Freezer Sessions 2020...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
We completely cleaned out and defrosted the freezer. It's in the new house now. We borrowed some space in the freezers at church. I'm hoping it freezes back okay. If not, we'll have to get a new one. The only way we could have more than one freezer is if we were to put one in the storage shed. We used to have an air conditioner in there, but it went out, and we haven't replaced it.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I just froze fresh herbs in an ice cube tray with water. I had cut back some cilantro before it bolted. I haven't tried this before. I'll be interested to see how it works out.

Yes, please let us know! I have a whole crop of herbs growing on the deck this season! I plan to dry it but I have seen where people freeze in the ice cube trays and am curious!

I've seen people freeze them in olive oil actually - not sure of the difference?

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Planning to make a batch of these for the freezer:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/vanilla-chocolate-chip-mini-scones-4564750

And here is my brain storm on handling the icing! I'll make it and put small amounts into little snack bags - freeze flat - then load into a gallon freezer bag bundled with the frozen scones.

Then the bags can be pulled out as needed and either thawed in fridge or in cup of hot water.

Going to give it a try anyway!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Yes, please let us know! I have a whole crop of herbs growing on the deck this season! I plan to dry it but I have seen where people freeze in the ice cube trays and am curious!

I've seen people freeze them in olive oil actually - not sure of the difference?

I wonder if it would work in butter...those herb flavoring pats you can buy are expensive. I bet you can make your own with different flavor combinations!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009

I had seen the use of olive oil too. I opted with water since I plan to use them in soups and sauces. I put the herb ice cubes into a ziploc bag and labeled the bag.

I bought ice cube trays for this since we didn't have any. The cilantro left a smell in the tray after handwashing. I don't know if that will affect future batches.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I wonder if it would work in butter...those herb flavoring pats you can buy are expensive. I bet you can make your own with different flavor combinations!

Oooo... I like that idea...

Reactions: Minta

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I googled herbed butter. There are many recipes out there.

Try sitting the ice trays outside in the sun to get rid of the smell.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I had seen the use of olive oil too. I opted with water since I plan to use them in soups and sauces. I put the herb ice cubes into a ziploc bag and labeled the bag.

I bought ice cube trays for this since we didn't have any. The cilantro left a smell in the tray after handwashing. I don't know if that will affect future batches.

clean the tray with a baking soda paste

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Had a busy Sunday filling the freezer!

Got up early and made a batch of PW Crunch French Toast Sticks - baked some for our breakfast and froze a big tray of the rest!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/crunchy-french-toast-sticks-4540494?soc=sharepin

Also made a batch of mini Lemon Poppy Seed muffins and froze those.

Made a loaf of Struesel Topped Blueberry Quick Bread which I'm freezing today.

Then I made a HUGE pot of White Chicken Chili - also freezing today.

And I got a double batch of chicken in Oven Chicken Fajita Marinade in the freezer. And then with the last fresh chicken breast I sliced it horizontally and put it in "The Best Chicken Marinade" and popped it in the freezer as well!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Had a busy Sunday filling the freezer!

Got up early and made a batch of PW Crunch French Toast Sticks - baked some for our breakfast and froze a big tray of the rest!

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/crunchy-french-toast-sticks-4540494?soc=sharepin

Also made a batch of mini Lemon Poppy Seed muffins and froze those.

Made a loaf of Struesel Topped Blueberry Quick Bread which I'm freezing today.

Then I made a HUGE pot of White Chicken Chili - also freezing today.

And I got a double batch of chicken in Oven Chicken Fajita Marinade in the freezer. And then with the last fresh chicken breast I sliced it horizontally and put it in "The Best Chicken Marinade" and popped it in the freezer as well!

Oh I am going to have to try those French toast sticks.

Nice job on filling the freezer.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Got a batch of Chocolate Chip Cookie dough in the freezer but I don't think it will last long! lol

I made a batch to drop off with a graduation card this weekend and they liked them so much I've been asked to bring more :) I need to make one more batch now for grad party next weekend too.

Have been using up things from the freezer too...

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
My Chocolate Chip Cookie dough never lasts long in the freezer. I usually bake a dozen and scoop the rest onto cookie sheet and flash freeze then bag and store in the freezer. One of my kids will visit and I reach in and hand them a bag of about a dozen and they leave with a big smile on their face. Later, I hear those cookies were so so good and didn't last long.

I am still gathering ingredients and will make cookie dough during the HGP weeks. Hoping in December I will have a couple of baking days and pull the dough out and have an easy clean up of the kitchen.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Oooo... I like that idea...
There are a lot of great sweet butter recipes out there to which are good for freezing for use during the holiday season. Honey butter, cinnamon sugar butter, strawberry or raspberry butter - delicious on French toast, pancakes, scones, etc.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I soften butter and press it into Wilton molds - they are the molds for candy pops so they have the long stem part but I just don't fill that. When the butter is frozen, I pop it out and freeze it in bags or a container and then thaw it out to go with bread or rolls for dinner. Looks very festive, just the right size for a butter pat.

DecemberisComing

Premiere Member
Jun 22, 2020
Illinois
If there is a more appropriate thread to post this question in, please let me know, but I was wondering if any of you have any recipes for either cinnamon rolls or crumb cake/coffee cake that you recommend, particularly for making ahead and giving as gifts to family and friends for Christmas morning? Additional information such as your recommending system for freezing, maximum freeze times, pan preferences, or even if you are a fan of a certain brand for an ingredient. Thanks in advance, I can't wait to learn more!

Reactions: PamelaG

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
If there is a more appropriate thread to post this question in, please let me know, but I was wondering if any of you have any recipes for either cinnamon rolls or crumb cake/coffee cake that you recommend, particularly for making ahead and giving as gifts to family and friends for Christmas morning? Additional information such as your recommending system for freezing, maximum freeze times, pan preferences, or even if you are a fan of a certain brand for an ingredient. Thanks in advance, I can't wait to learn more!
This is a good thread but you might also try Holiday Cooking, and then the sub-thread for Breakfast Items.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
This is a good thread but you might also try Holiday Cooking, and then the sub-thread for Breakfast Items.
You could also try just entering Cinnamon Rolls in the search box at the top left. It will bring up every post where cinnamon rolls are mentioned but if some of them are in the Holiday Cooking sub-threads, it will help narrow down a recipe I'm sure.