Frugal or cluttered?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
While I was working on my Wildcard Wednesday project today, which was my kitchen junk drawer, I became increasingly interested in the answer to a question that you might be able to answer for me...

When does being frugal and recycling become hoarding and clutter?

I try to hold on to things I might need again, such as interesting shaped or pretty bottles and cans...always planning to recyce them into a snazzy little gift for someone, but never seeming to get that done...then I have clutter!

Then, I get tired of looking at it, so I throw all the stuff away, like I did last week, and VIOLA! this week I found a wonderful new website that talks about recycling interesting shaped or pretty botttles and cans into snazzy little gifts...hmm..

Another example-needles and thread. I probably sew on three buttons a year, if I really stretch it. So why do I need a spool of thread in 20 different colors, and three packets of needles. Why? I'll tell you why...because I guarantee you if I throw away ONE SINGLE SPOOL OF THREAD the very next button requiring sewing will be that exact color.

Birthday candles are another thing. We have two birthdays each year that we still use candles on the cakes-DS8 and DS7. Yet, I have about 50 candles in my drawer, all bundled up neat and tidy in a ziplock and in their own little space...but I only use them twice a year. However, the reason I have 50 birthday candles in the drawer is because we do have those two birthdays each year...and each year I'd thrown away candles, I had to go purchase more for those birthdays.

Can you see my point? At what point is it a healthy, thrifty thing to do, and when does it get to be a sickness?

OK, this is a little tongue in cheek, but it really does bug me. What do YOU think?

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
Completely see you point.

I think there is a point when things we save get to be too much and start to take over living spaces.

I have spent my summer amazed at all the stuff we have saved over the years. Stuff we have never used and refuse to let go of. We are slowly saying good-bye to things and living only with the things we love.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I have been pondering the same thing lately. Stock piling...crafts or other items...just seems to happen for me...I have come to realize that I NEED to use up and make all the crafts and items I keep planning to get to before adding anything else. They are really making me feel cluttered...in my home, my mind, and my "plans".

So....that is my goal for the next 6-9 months....get the items made that I keep saying I am going to .....either use the materials or get rid of them...IF I see a plan to use them later....none or items that I couldn't quite easily get a hold of again!!

Household stuff the same philosophy...get rid of and par down in as many areas as possible...everything from the silverware drawer to the sock drawer...my house feel cramped and its time for a change. You are right...usually right after I throw something away...I need it...but the way it is right now...I have too much to keep track of and keep in order...WILL be doing this will my fall decor as that time rolls around also...I will allow myself to buy two more totes...that will make six total...and then if it doesn't fit when its time to pack it up...I have to get rid of something!!!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Well, DH's motto is "A place for everything and everything in its place." My motto is "Everything is someplace."

Once he was trying to declutter for me and said "What do you need this for?" I replied, "I don't know right now, but if you get rid of it, I can tell you tomorrow!"

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
Great question! It's weird, my sis lives in an old farmhouse with lots and lots of stuff, but it never looks or feels cluttered to me, just charming and warm...I on the other hand get a few things strewn around and it looks messy :confused:

Anyhoo, I am pretty good about not hanging onto stuff, EXCEPT for CRAFT STUFF and BOOKS---I am the worst--I can imagine my children's conversation when I am ummm-gone--
wondering why I have about 400 pairs of knitting needles.... :rotflol:

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
OMG, I could have written this question!! I think about this all the time! My main problem is that I hang on to items that I think will make great gift containers but then I don't want to use them because, get this....then I won't have it anymore! What's up with that?? lol

I have several baskets that I've been moving around for years. I was going to toss them and then decided that, like Gingerbug, I am going to actually do something with them this year. I've already started making a list of who I can make gift baskets for. I hope I can do it!!

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
I'm not fond of clutter. Aesthetically, it's displeasing to me, but my main complaint is how it tends to stifle me. Our home is thoroughly a living, breathing space (DH and I are a creative, geeky family), so efficiency and storage are precious.

I try to only keep supplies that I have a specific intention to use (key: in the near future!) or with which I am avidly involved. Everything must have a "home," but on top of that, if things are merely stagnating or collecting dust, I view it as a tragedy. I'd rather they serve someone. Not shopping very often and cutting back on packaging/bags (reduce), periodic de-cluttering/donating (reuse), and recycling help, of course.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Keeping things you know you'll actually use in an adequate time is good. I'm not sure I follow the 1 year rule, but then my husband suffers from the "I'm going to need it SOMEDAY" syndrome and thats not good. Don't keep duplicates and if there isn't space for what you have, then you need to be honest with yourself and decide what makes you happy and what doesn't. Are you getting what you want from the space you're focusing on?

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
Another question to ask yourself is what is "enough" to you? And when is "enough" really "enough?" Is your clutter actually just a symptom of your spiritual/emotional/mental unrest?

By realistically, rationally facing whatever fears you may feel regarding "enough," you may realize you actually have "plenty" and easier access to more (should you ever need it) than you previously thought. Or you may build a better foundation of what truly matters in this life to you. Hopefully you'll learn not to underestimate your own strength, resourcefulness, etc. HTH!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I have a simple, but hard to follow through with depending upon your commitment, method.

1. If I want something new, I have to know where I am going to put it and/ or what am I going to take out to make room for it?
2. Tape up the box and date the items you may need "just in case", in one year (or what ever time frame you desire) if you have not looked for it and opened that box - TOSS the whole thing to Goodwill or your choice.

I am a less is more gal, my husband is an almost reformed pack rat!

:leprechaun: Good luck!

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
HouseElf said:
I have a simple, but hard to follow through with depending upon your commitment, method.

1. If I want something new, I have to know where I am going to put it and/ or what am I going to take out to make room for it?
2. Tape up the box and date the items you may need "just in case", in one year (or what ever time frame you desire) if you have not looked for it and opened that box - TOSS the whole thing to Goodwill or your choice.

I am a less is more gal, my husband is an almost reformed pack rat!

:leprechaun: Good luck!

I LOVE this idea!! This way the things we want to hold on to aren't stuffed in a closet somewhere.

I had a similar revelation yesterday while working on my decluttering. There are things my dd and I want to keep that are special to us from her childhood (toys/dolls and such). I thought instead of having them up here sitting in the room or in the closet, we're going to put them in a Rubbermaid bin, label it, and put it out in the garage. See? I'm learning a lot here!

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
HouseElf said:
I LOVE this idea!! This way the things we want to hold on to aren't stuffed in a closet somewhere.

I had a similar revelation yesterday while working on my decluttering. There are things my dd and I want to keep that are special to us from her childhood (toys/dolls and such). I thought instead of having them up here sitting in the room or in the closet, we're going to put them in a Rubbermaid bin, label it, and put it out in the garage. See? I'm learning a lot here!

Another option for things that have alot of memories but are too large to store (my son's 5 foot crocodile) or impractical to store (my other son's cocoa puff monkey art project) or if you just find you are storing too many memories. Take a picture of your child holding the item and just keep the picture for the memories.

starflake

Retire Member
Jan 10, 2008
jinglemom said:
Take a picture of your child holding the item and just keep the picture for the memories.

Plus, nowadays with eBay, chances are the kid can buy another if they really miss the item.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
jinglemom said:
HouseElf said:

Another option for things that have alot of memories but are too large to store (my son's 5 foot crocodile) or impractical to store (my other son's cocoa puff monkey art project) or if you just find you are storing too many memories. Take a picture of your child holding the item and just keep the picture for the memories.

I heard this idea before and love it too! I was thinking of making a mini scrapbook for my dd with some of her childhood toys. thanks for reminding me!

Pippi

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Tall Corn state
"VIOLA! this week I found a wonderful new website that talks about recycling interesting shaped or pretty botttles and cans into snazzy little gifts..."

Cathymac:

....would you mind sharing the website you found? I'm on the verge of purging about 30 jars & bottles! LOL.

Thanks!
Pippi

Supergirl

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
I think this very same thing ALOT!
I do have 8 kids at home PLUS a home business AND I homeschool. House is 2800 sq feet with no house garage (hubby has a garage but it's just that-Hubby's garage! :) ).
It has been nice to toss things as my youngest two kids grow. No more baby stuff. Clothing isn't saved in boxes from those two (boy and a girl BTW). Someday all too soon I will have all my kids stuff outta here. That'll be sad :(. I am enjoying (almost) every minute of raising my family. OOps..am I rambling? :flower:

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
My rule is if it does not fit in the location it should be in then I either throw it out or get rid of something else. For example, the other day I got real carried away when I found googly eyes on sale and bought more packs than would fit in my googly eye container so I returned the eyes the next time I was at the store. It's way too easy to cram it somewhere else and never see it again. This rule has served me well!

Pippi

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Tall Corn state