Gluten Free

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
M's graduation party is next month and some of our family members are gf. Any suggestions of what I can serve as a main dish? I will have fried chicken and a variety of sandwiches from the deli. I was thinking of just doing some grilled chicken in addition to that for the gf main. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Meat and Veggie kabobs, pasta salad using GF noodles, burgers/hotdogs, GF meatballs and get GF rolls

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Potato Salad would work with your menu if fried and grilled chicken. I tend to go with a Mexican cuisine with my gf family. Corn taco shell instead of flour shells.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Potato salad would work well with your menu. Make sure the chicken is not injected with chicken broth which might not be gluten free. You could buy some gluten free bread (Canyon Bakehouse from Costco, or Katz and Udi-s are all good gluten free breads. Against the Grain (always frozen) has Baguettes or Rolls That are excellent) Most can be found at a health food store but sometimes at your local grocery store-usually frozen for baked goods. Chips (if unflavored and not Pringles) are Usually a good bet. As long as a package states “Gluten Free” you should be ok. Soy sauce is not gluten free and some seasoning/spice mixes are not gluten free either. So season carefully. If they are celiac you have to be extra Careful. You could run your items by them before buying.

And feel free to ask them if they want to bring something. When I go to people’s houses I always bring food along so they do not have to worry. As a celiac I will not eat something other people have cooked due to the cross contamination factor. I can not use opened butter at someone’s house because just a few toast crumbs can set off a gluten reation. Think peanut allergy and how careful they are.

And they may be planning on not eating which I also do when I go to a party. I eat before getting there. I do not expect people to accommodate my eating restrictions. My gluten reaction is explosive diarrhea and extreme fatigue.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Diedra is right, cross contamination is a real problem. I have pots and pans that are gluten free - scratches in cookware can have gluten in them. Looking for gluten free on the package helps. My Ddil would find out what was being served and bring gf items to match the menu. She does this so my Dgds wouldn’t feel like they were missing out. Ny son being a pastor the church has a lot of food involved events.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm learning a lot here. I'll just throw out some additional ideas that aren't main dishes. My s-i-l is gluten free. She usually brings tortilla chips and salsa. We offer a salad bar, raw vegetables with a homemade gluten free dip, and quinoa salad at all parties. Quinoa is gluten free.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Not knowing any one who is gluten free/intolerant I never realised the extent to which it may affect someone. I too am learning a lot.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Thanks for the ideas. They do usually bring their own food, but make a big deal if there aren’t options for them as well. i will probably do some chicken and have planned fruit and veggie trays. I’ll make some gf dip too. keep those ideas coming!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I wanted to let you all know that I grilled chicken tenders for the gluten free guests. My sweet cousin thanked me for providing a gf option for them. They also were able to eat the potato salad, veggies and fruit, along with 2 desserts.

Thanks again for all the ideas!