Guest room week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Well, this week we are due to tackle the guest room. How are you all getting on and what are your plans for this week?

Week 7: October 7 - 13, 2012
Holiday Grand Plan by Katie Leckey
Holiday Grand Plan Printables by Cynthia Ewer

Guest rooms ready for holiday guests? They will be, after we tackle them during Week Seven of the Holiday Grand Plan: Guest Room Week!

This week, we deep-clean, organize and prepare for overnight guests.

In holiday prep, we keep plugging away on gifts, whether to-make or to-buy. Decor alert: Halloween is coming!

Ready? Let's get organized with Guest Room Week in the Holiday Grand Plan!

Deep Cleaning/Organizing Area:
Guest Room

Guest Room / Bath
Guest Room checklist
Holiday Prep
Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes
Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
Decorate for Halloween:

If you decorate mainly with a fall harvest look, then a few Halloween things can make it for Halloween. After October, replace the Halloween decorations with Thanksgiving things for a minimum of work.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Well, my guest room is currently in use as the au pair's room, and I leave it up to them entirely to keep it as clean as they wish (as long as there's no food in there). I only ever go in to get at things in my storage closet in there (there is a pretty largee wardrobe for the AP, and a seperate wardrobe that I use to store spare bedding up high and my "off season" clothes lower down). I also keep the "guest basket" of miniature items they may need (spare toothbrushes, small shampoo and toiletries, pocket packs tissues etc) in there for when the room is used for guests, and that is currently filled as I re-did it recently for Granny's funeral.

So I will use this week to tackle the study/craft room, and catch up on outstanding jobs from previous weeks.

[x] Clear off study desk
[x] Put away sewing stuff I won't do this year
[x] Tidy the bookcase
[x] Clear off the windowledge
[] Clean inside windows and glass doors on bookcase
[x] Dust study
[] Hoover study and DD's room to skirtings
[] Clean the 3 attic windows, inside and out
[] Clean mirror
[] Sort DD's toys
[] Take out some toys for seasonal rotation
[] Take out toys for donation to charity/cousins
[] Tidy under the bed
[] Dust the dresser, chest of drawers, bookcase
[x] Dust master bedroom
[] Clean gutters
[] Wash outside windows
[] Sweep chimney
[] Check upstairs smoke alarm
[x] Plant out leeks
[x][x] Continue tossing old papers from sitting room
[x] Continue filing recipes etc to keep in sitting room

[] Book dentist appointments
[x] Organise DD's script and meds (have script, now just need to fill it)
[] Order coal, logs, briquettes
[x][x][x] Keep emptying freezer

[] Consider holiday outfits
[x] Book Santa outing to "Narnia"
[x] Update budget
[x] Update master gifts list
[x][x][x][][][] Work on crafts list (beanie hats, crayon rolls especially)
[] Make 1 batch cookie dough
[] Start limoncello
[x][x][x][x][x] Buy 1-2 gifts
[] Find and Buy 3 fruit basket decorations
[] Find and Buy 3 flower basket decorations
[] Find and Buy 3 fish decorations
[] Write 5 cards
[] Make 1 freezer meal

Last edited:

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
well lets see. I am already behind and don't have a guest room, what to do, what to do.... with my friend coming over last week my freezer is full so that will help once I start my new job. I will need to decide what will take over in it's place this week.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Rather than post the huge list again, I'll just mark my progress on the original (a few bits).

Mostly, it's been in the organising aspects this week so far. I've booked the Santa outing (and got the slot I was hoping for). I managed to get 3 nice books for my 2 bro's stockings and DH's, and one for DD as well. And I got some crafting done (including finishing 1 beanie hat that is a gift).

And I did shift a lot of old papers to the recycling bin, before it was collected today. So that is something :)

I was intending doing a lot of cleaning over the weekend, but I am probably going to be managing a team at a gaelic football blitz for DD (only announced on Saturday and I was only asked during the week) against her cousin's club. And then the 2 clubs meet again on Sunday in the county hurling final, so we will be going to that as well. But I should get some jobs done in between.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I wish I had a guest room - but my teenagers may be upset with me measuring for new drapes as they are still using their rooms ;)

This week I am working on windows - and starting cards!
With the start of cooler weather I am always in a 'hurry' it seems to make my house warmer for the snow that is to come.

This is also a good week to take stock of needed winter clothing and to see if my growing like weeds boys will need gloves, new boots or winter coats.

:snowball: Winter is coming!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I've still been bouncing, instead of focusing in one area, but I'm making progress. I do need to sit down tomorrow though and evaluate where I'm at.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
I managed to get most of the study done after all yesterday (my alternate to the guest room). And I am slowly working through the backlog of items from previous weeks. I even managed to get the back garden sorted.

But I do need to pay attention to DD's room this coming weekend, with her involved too.