Have you ever been invited to a tea?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I am trying to remember -- and I cannot remember ever being invited to a tea at someones' home. Ever.

However, some of the most fancy hotels near us have a regular meal called a "tea". Last time I went, it was $25 per person (plus tax and tip). I was invited to one "tea" which the bride (our relative) gave for the bridal party (and the women in the brides' and grooms' family.) The bride paid. It was very elegant and very wonderful and fancy. I think it was the brides' thank you to her bridal party. She gave them little gifts there too.

Eaglesax

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Middle Georgia
Not to someone's house, but our ladies church group had a Mother/Daughter tea for Mother's day one year. It was nice to "dress up" and go to something so dainty and rich in tradition. My Mother really enjoyed it, she had never been invited to a "tea" either.

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
I have hosted two teas. It was fun. The first one was with the ladies from work. I used my family heirloom tea set. I had different kinds of tea (even a few hot chocolates). I also made a sinful dessert. We talked for a while and ate and then everyone went home.

My second tea was a baby shower. I co-hosted this event! I made a light lunch, cake and tea. The lunch was cucumber sandwiches, veges and dip and crackers and cheese. We played typical baby shower games, ate and the mommy to be opened gifts her gifts. We ate on fine china and real silver fork/spoons and such. Very fun and feminine. (The baby to be was a girl and girls are few and far between in our church).

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
No, I've never been invited to a tea. I hosted a bridal shower tea about 2 years ago. It went really well and was a ton of fun. I'm hoping to host a Harvest or Holiday tea in the next few months. I want to include some people outside the usual group I invite to keep it interesting.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I have attended only two, and enjoyed both very much. Both for weddings :flower:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Nope, but when I had crochet class it was at the lady's house and we would crochet for about 1 hour then she would serve tea with different wonderful desserts each week and then we would resume our class. We were about 4 or 5 people at those classes.

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
My husband was a Naval officer for 30 years. I've hosted and attended many teas in homes and hotels, and once in the tower of the National Cathedral in Washington, DC. (If you plan to visit DC, check with the Cathedral. I think they have tea one or two days a week in the summer, but it's been several years since I was there. As I remember, reservations were required weeks in advance.) Nothing to it! Just a time for pleasant conversation and lovely goodies, and tea, of course. I plan to host a Harvest Tea in Oct. for about 20 ladies.

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
Hallmark Lady, I can accommodate 16 at tables -- otherwise, it's buffet-style. I have tea, of course, maybe two, with iced tea or water available. For the Harvest Tea, I plan on having mulled cider, too. I usually have quickbreads (banana-nut, lemon-nut, cranberry-nut), cucumber sandwiches, little chicken salad sandwiches, chocolate-dipped strawberries, cookies, fruit on small skewers, pecan tassies, sometimes a cake. I do use my silver service, but don't like to get too fancy, as that can make people uncomfortable. The whole point, for me, anyway, is to have a special, but relaxed occasion, where people can be comfortable and enjoy each other's company and conversation.

Something that I saw done in DC, and that I think I'll try for my next one, is to have cards with appropriate quotes sitting on the mantel, tables, etc. They made great conversation starters. I'm now collecting Fall/Autumn quotes!

May you all host or attend successful teas this year!

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
I enjoy entertaining family with seasonal tea parties, and I love reading about everyones ideas/plans. Here are some of the ways I enjoy taking tea.

When I am "at home" on Thursdays, tea is served in my front parlour. One just sits on the regular suite, and tea is served on a low tea table.

Several of my ladies clubs have monthly teas. Members are seated at small round tables (each seating five), and the tea courses are passed by servers.

Usually during the season several debutante teas are held - mostly at large hotels or clubs.

Over the years I have attended and held many teas to celebrate engagements, weddings, births, graduations, and homecomings.

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
playingdishes.blogspot.com
In the town next to me they have a Victorian Tea Party that can be done for young girls. The girls and Moms can come dressed or they can use the clothing provided by the tea room. There have been a couple of stories about this in the local paper. I have always thought it would be fun for a young girl's birthday. I have a neice who is 10 and just might have to do this for her.