Help with Christmas Eve Dinner Menu

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

CreativeChristmas

Retire Member
Dec 6, 2007
Wisconsin
:confused: I could use some opinions on my plan for the family Christmas Eve Dinner (22-26 people). The set up is about 1 1/2 - 2 hours cocktails and appetizers followed by a buffet dinner and then dessert table. Due to the numbers and the tables I have, we use the large open kitchen for the buffet and I set the two large tables very nicely.

Appetizers
Tree Shaped Crescent Veggie Appetizers (think veggie Pizza)
Mini Hot Dog roll-ups (warm)
Shrimp & Cocktail sauce
veggie tray
chipped beef & cheese log spread w/crackers
Stuffed mushrooms (warm)
Beverages: asst. sodas, mixed drink options, wine selection, hot mulled cider, cranberry juice, and ice water

Dinner
Spiral Ham
Fried Chicken
Sides:
Hashbrown Casserole
Corn Pudding Casserole
sweet potatoes
Jell-0 salad
? green salad?
Another vegetable?
Dinner Rolls (family tradition)
Beverages: sparkling grape juice, wine selection, ice water, cranberry juice

Dessert Table
Asst. Christmas cookies
Baklava (family tradition)
Fudge
Cream Puff stack - croquembouche ?
Beverages: Coffee selection, mulled cider, tea selection, and after-dinner drink option

As you can see the main meal I am still struggling with the most and would love some help there. :confused: Do I have enough selection? Too much? Do you see any potential problems or have any hints to get thru this better than the last time I did this? Any thoughts or ideas for any of this would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much and I hope this will help others as we go into the final stages of holiday planning.
:tree:

If it all becomes overwhelming step back and have some of the other guests contribute to the sides and desserts. They will eat whatever you put out.

No one walks into someone else's house and expects a "selection" of a meal. If they want a selection I say they can go to the diner in town. Otherwise they can enjoy what is PROVIDED to them and have a nice evening with family and friends!!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
WOW! You really go all out! You have put together a wonderful meal for your family and friends! They are very lucky to have you in their life.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Your menu looks awesome!! What time should I be there?

:snowman: Melanie

CreativeChristmas

Retire Member
Dec 6, 2007
Wisconsin
Thanks to everyone for their help. My dh & I truly enjoy opening our home and providing a wonderful meal for our family. We do several things to make this possible. Ex. chicken from a local favorite restraurant, use casseroles and do ahead type items, and each of the 5 families offers to bring something and several of these items are "traditional" items that certain people are looking to bring so that works well.

Any veggie dish ideas are still welcome as this is one area that is difficult to find an answer.

Thanks and happy holidays! :sleigh:

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Wow, I can't imagine anyone not being satisfied with this menu. It looks varied, thought-out and delicious! Don't think you really need to serve another vegetable unless you really want to. You have quite a selection especially if you consider the appetizers. Yum!