HGP 2013, Question Week 1

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
There are seven questions this week for the HGP - one for each day!
Thought it may be fun, for all of us to do a question a day this week?

Todays question:

Do I see Christmas time primarily as a time for entertaining friends and renewing long lost acquaintances or as a time for family?

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Do I see Christmas time primarily as a time for entertaining friends and renewing long lost acquaintances or as a time for family?

For us it is mostly about family! Just the five of us; my husband, the 3 boys, and me.

I think I would like to entertain more, but have not had the opportunity really. We usually say, 'next year' :)

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
For us it is about family and friends who are a part of our life now. Because we live in an area that neither my husband and I grew up in all our long lost friends are pretty far away.

When we do go back to our previous areas of growing up, most of the people have moved on. On a rare occasion we are able to arrange time with friends from long ago.
~Farmerswife

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
For us, it is mainly about family - our family of 3 (DH, DD and I) and various elements of the extended family.

Over Christmas, we must travel every year to our parents 160 miles away (I know not very far in the context of US distances) and put in time visiting various relatives there. We also end up spending New Year in a different place with my parents (they have a holiday house) 100 miles in a different direction. And 3 of my parent's 6 DCs are based overseas (only 1 lives at home and 1 other 25 miles away from them), so we try to see a lot of whoever is home - DBro in Canada gets home about 1-2 times/year, DBro in London only gets home about the same, while DSis in Scotland is usually here twice per year but often not at Christmas.

We also need to catch up with relatives in the city we live in - life has been too hectic in recent years so we haven't spent as much time as we could/should have with them. But there are a few occasions to visit them over the holidays.

I do tend to catch up with a lot of friends through work over December and January, mainly over lunches but a couple of night-time events. But most of my friends outside of work have ended up moving away too so we rarely see those anymore (email contact).

It's a very busy time at work for both DH and I, so we don't tend to entertain much (and we are usually travelling a good bit too). But we usually have the neighbours over, and any relatives who are in the area and free, for a quiet celebration of DD's birthday on Stephen's Day. As we are going to be at our parents for Christmas Day itself this year (1st time in 3 years), there will still be a celebration but family only.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Family and friends who have become family - as many as we can round up during the holiday season.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland

For me it's both. I love being with my family. Then I have some friends whom I have known for decades who have become family. Their kids call me auntie. Shoot some of my friends even started calling me Aunt Adrienne. lol

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
For me it is totally about family. I would love to have a huge party & invite everyone of my friends, but that isn't going to happen.
I focus on our children & our grandchildren.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Being a military family, we don't usually see our actual family during the holidays unless they come to us. I like to spend our holidays at home forging our own traditions that our children will want to carry on when they are grown. So we focus on our own immediate family, me and DH and the 3 kids. I have always wanted to have a party of some sort but just never had. Maybe this year i'll do a cookie exchange or something.