HGP 2014, week 1

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Week one for HGP is List Week!

This week's cleaning focus is the front porch: We'll clean and organize the area around the front door so that our home will be ready to welcome visitors during the holiday season.

Cleaning/Organizing Area: Front Porch

Make the following lists:
  • Gifts to be given, amount to spend (include family, friends, school, church, etc)
  • Christmas card list (computerize it!) Print list and update it, if needed. Decide how many cards are needed.
  • Visits to make
  • Parties/Entertaining
  • Menus for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, other parties
  • Goodies for Sharing/Gifts. Decide how much needs to be made and divide it between the weeks from now through December 1.
  • Favorite Meals of Family members for freezing ahead.
  • Long-term shopping list divided into: canned foods, perishables for each holiday, linens and dishes, decorations, etc.
  • Create a Christmas planner notebook to organize holiday planning.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
:snowman: very excited!

I have my binder in order, and worked on the side porch today. (Our most used entrance)
All that's left is to put in the fall mums, and switch the summer cushions on the porch chairs to fall colours.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Ok so much for doing my porch, it is pouring out there. Because I wanted to get started, I have deep cleaned my lounge room. I am happy with how it looks. I moved all the furniture and vacuumed and dusted. I am burning a summery candle and even though it is raining outside it is tropical in here.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I did most of the outside work over the weekend. I had a couple of hours on Sunday, unexpectedly, when DH took DD to the park before I went supermarket shopping, which DD really wanted to do too. And it was actually dry, for a change!

So:
[x] Clean out lower gutters - took a full bucket of moss and earth (dust on the wind, enough settled in the gutters to make earth!) which I put on the flowerbeds. Waste not, want not!
[x] Sweep the front porch
[x] Sweep the back patio
[x] Sweep the roof of front porch (spider webs!)
[x] Wash all the lower windows and sills, and the front and back doors
[x] Wash table in back patio
[x] Empty out the spent pots (a couple of salad window boxes, a window box of French beans, and a tub of French beans)
[x] Pull up the zucchini plants from the beds that are not giving me anything this year. [x] Tidy up tomato plants - they are still doing ok with fruit ripening, but I pulled off the side shoots from the plants, took off the last flowering branches (as they won't mature at this stage) and the top shoot too - so all the remaining energy goes into ripening what's on the plant.
[x] Check the outside lights are working, and not filled with water.
[x] Feed the plants that need feeding.
[x] Put away the empty pots, a few plant tags and a couple of trowels that had hidden under plant leaves - all now safely in the shed.
[-] Sweep side alley (it can be left this year as not actually in bad shape)
[x] Check fire needs - logs and coal etc, list on grocery list

[x] Update master giftlist and budget spreadsheet
[x] Put money into savings
[x] Put gifts already purchased into storage unit
[] Agree entertaining (need to talk to DH before he goes abroad again next weekend)
[/] Agree visits over Christmas (again talk to DH) - partially done but we need to finalise
[] Make out cards list
[] Decide how many cards I need to buy
[] Look at options for charity cards
[] Consider Menus for Thanksgiving, Christmas, St Stephen's Day (DD's birthday), New Years etc
[] Goodies for Sharing/Gifts. Decide how much needs to be made and divide it between the weeks from now through December 1.
[x] Favorite Meals of Family members for freezing ahead.
[/] Long-term shopping list divided into: canned foods, perishables for each holiday, linens and dishes, decorations, etc. - started a list, planning a LARGE stores shop across the border in November for Christmas and general winter
[x] Create a Christmas planner notebook to organize holiday planning.
[/] Send 1 bag of items to school for craft uses (have sent an email to school offering 2 almost full rolls of cotton wool that I won't use, and a couple of kits that DD won't use for beads and badges, just need to agree when to drop)
[x] Continue to work on using up old meals and ingredients from freezer

Bonus tasks:
[x] Clean out stove
[x] Empty ashes bucket to landfill bin for collection
[x] Put DD's art collection in storage unit
[x] Move other clutter to storage unit before getting rid of it
[x] Clean inside of the windows in the hall
[x] Dust table in the hall
[x] Dust the roof and behind pictures in the hall (clean away cobwebs!)
[x] Wrap all my family birthday presents for autumn, DSis engagement gift and write cards (for delivery next weekend to DMom)
[x] Clear out 2 cupboards in kitchen

I have started to get ahead of myself for a change and I have a plan to get through each room this year, not just a couple. I managed to do 2 rooms last week (the "Guest" room, before the new au pair arrived to take up residence, and the study - I normally count both as Guest room week).

But I know both the Living Room and the Kitchen will be killer weeks as both are in an awful state!
But I still have a few things to complete this week.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Winged One, you are on fire!!! :) Way to go!!!

So, as far as the Front Porch goes, does meeting with the contractor on Sunday and discussing the work he'll be doing on the front porch count? lol

Since we don't have a front porch at the apartment, I have no excuse not to focus on holiday prep this week!

[/] Master Gift List - In progress; Have plans in place for 90% of the people on the list - but will fill in ideas for DH and DS as time goes on. Those gifts will be impacted both by budget and sales. Black Friday may be a good source for toys for DS this year, we'll have to see.

I've been working on compiling various Stocking Stuffer idea lists I've collected over the years into one big list. Then I'll review and decide which ones I want to try and get for those I do/contribute to stockings for.

[X] Review Christmas Card list; Decide how many cards are needed

[X] Menus for Halloween to New Year's

[X] Goodies for Sharing/Gifts. Decide how much to make and divide it between the weeks from now through Dec 1

[X] Favorite meals of family members for freezing ahead

[X] Long Term Shopping List divided into: non-perishable/long shelf life, perishables for each holiday - I started buying some of the long term items during this last week's grocery trips so that feels nice. Got a big bottle of vanilla from Sam's and got a few other random things at Aldi. I've marked them as purchased on my Master list.

[X] Master Craft/Gift Shopping List - I have the majority of the supplies I need for gift making already; Most of the things left on my shopping list are either very small - a special button or bead - or they are for projects I'd love to make for myself - a decorative pillow or some such thing. I'll only get those supplies if I have the time to make the project...

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
What a week! Getting to finish up the porch prep tomorrow! Heading over to the nursery for mums :)

How is your week going? Any plans for the last day of list week?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I wasn't going to jump in on either plan because I never follow through, but I think this year I may try this one.

My front entryway has already been done, as well as the front closet. I did those last weekend before school started this past week. My porch does need some work though, I need to go ahead and roll up my big rug under the furniture and purchase some nice mums and do general cleanup and sweeping. This will all have to happen tomorrow depending on the rainy weather today.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Today I will just finish up the loungeroom. Give things a final tweek, mend a throw quilt that the stitching is a little loose and a cushion that has a pull in it, and I think that is it.
First week done.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I got nothing done last week due to the knee injury.
This week I will play catch-up. :) Fortunately, my walkway/deck area isn't too bad.
I have some flowers to move around & will sweep up some spider webs off the eaves of the house & garage & I'll be done.
I have one gift purchased & will make my gift list at some point today to get started with my LIST WEEK.
Onward I go.
(I was looking at the HHP portion. It interests me. Maybe next year I will switch things up a bit.)

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
The weather was beautiful this weekend so I got a lot done outdoors beyond the front porch. I cleaned the front porch and changed out our summer wreath to an autumn one and added mums to our porch planters. I made a list of fall yard and garden chores and got a start on the ones that could be completed at this point in the season.

Ready for Week 2!

Farmermom4

Retire Member
Nov 1, 2007
Our holiday house in North Idaho
I really want to follow through with the plan this year!! Last week was a bit busy so I didn't get to the front patio area till yesterday but it looks great! Hoping to wash the front of the house down today since the weather will be nice, still need to work on my notebook...time sure does fly these days!!