HGP 2014, week 3 Entry/Foyer

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Welcome to Week Three of the Holiday Grand Plan: Entry/Foyer Week!

This week, we tackle deep-cleaning and decluttering our entryway or foyer, to create a welcoming entrance to the home for holiday guests.

Holiday prep chores focus on baking and kitchen as we plan our baked goodies and start stocking up for holiday meals. More printable forms help our Holiday Grand Plan notebooks grow.

Ready? Let's get organized with Entry/Foyer Week at the Holiday Grand Plan!

Cleaning/Organizing Area:
Entryway or Foyer

Holiday Prep:
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from Menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Keep 2 boxes in a pantry area or storage place to put these in so that they are not used in everyday cooking - make sure to label them so that when food drives start your holiday supply stays intact and the food drive gets the food purchased for it.
  • Buy all supplies for homemade gifts. Package each project with directions and other information in zipper food storage bag and place in a basket or box in craft/sewing area.
  • Buy film, camera batteries, blank videotapes. Hide them; write yourself a note.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Week three!

My entry/foyer areas are busy places! I have added to my list of needed items: an umbrella stand, new entry rugs; additions to the honey-do list: add oversized hooks for boys backpacks -- and move the backpacks into their rooms, not enough room in the closet for such big items.

Butter is half price, so thinking I will make a stop and pick up another six blocks after work this week - freezing for holiday use.

Made up three bags of chopped local onion, red peppers and zucchini for fajitas as a holiday meal. The chicken and seasonings are sliced and put into another bag.

Muffins trays of pumpkin, zucchini, and carrot are on the racks and cooling. Will freeze and serve with winter fruits salad and sausages for morning breakfasts.

As I was in the kitchen and baking, I pulled all the baking pans out and gave them 'a once over', added a bundt pan and a new cookie sheet to my needed items.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
HouseElf, I like to read about how you arrange your food for the freezer.

Today I deep-cleaned the kitchen cabinets ... that is a big job all in one day, but I was getting tired towards the end and I decluttered alot of stuff :) less to wash next time!

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I need to clear out my laundry room which is entry way for the back door. However it won't be this week. After the wedding is over (Saturday) I plan to focus on getting this house and yard ready to party!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am all out of whack with the plan but working none the less. Today I will start on the kitchen. I am doing the groceries this week so while I am making a list I will clean out the pantry and the baking cupboard. While I am doing that I will give the kitchen a very good clean.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
The hall, stairs and landing area is not too bad - reasonably clean as I did some a couple of weeks ago (but still have a few more bits to finish).

My other prep is going slowly but back on track after last week's blip. I picked up 2 full gifts today, and bits to add to 3 more, and 1 more stocking stuffer for DD. I will be reviewing the lists tonight, once DD is in bed.

I have a bunch of appointments this Friday, none avoidable, so the big day of cleaning is not a possibility. But I will get a couple of hours done in the living room (I had to skip it last week because I'd injured my hand - but that is a lot better now so I should be able to do some cleaning by the end of the week).

And I have a draft calendar organized to talk through with DH when he gets home at the weekend as well.

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
I was under the weather last week so I didn't get a lot done. I was hoping to get caught up yesterday afternoon (Sunday), but felt like a nap would be in order before the busy work week. I am feeling MUCH better today; it seems that the medicine the doctor prescribed is finally starting to work.

I did manage to throw together a Crock-Pot of turkey chili and ended up with 7 containers of chili to freeze for cold evenings when I get home late. Those will definitely come in handy this winter. I am considering doing the same with a Crock-Pot of white chicken chili (I love chili during the snowy months!).

I have started picking up a few fun treats here and there for the holidays. I found bags of pumpkin spice M&Ms and Brach's pumpkin spice candy corn and added them to my holiday bin in the pantry. I've added some baking needs to my shopping list and will start picking things up the next time I'm at the store.

Butter was on sale at our local grocery store, as well, and this past weekend I picked up 6 packages for sale.

Hoping to make more progress this week and will check back in later!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Wish I could find those butter sales!!! Even at Aldi it is $2.99 lb here!

Freezer cooking this weekend had a grand tally of:

Chicken Pie with Corn Bread Topping
PW Cheddar Puffs (another batch)
PW Fluffy New Potatoes
Sausage Bread (1)
Ham and Cheese Bread (1)
Chicken Bacon Ranch Bread (1)

Have had beans soaking since last night to make a batch of White Chicken Chili today and get that into serving size bags in the freezer.

Will have to review other tasks for this week and post again! :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Reviewed my list for Week 3...focusing mainly on holiday prep again this week since apartment entryway is pretty much nothing...lol

I did, however, choose this week for the week I would HGP my car. Got a good start on it yesterday - got all the trash and clutter out - with the exception of some dog blankets in the back but will get those tonight.

Wiped down all surfaces, got some spots out of the seats (LOVE baby wipes!) and went through the console even. Already feels much better!

My next goal is to get it vacuumed out and windex the windows - maybe a new air freshener too!

Holiday Prep Tasks this week:

[ ] Discuss/Order Costume for DS or after talking with DH defer to another week - but schedule reminder appt

[ ] Watch for Back to School Clearance sales! - Sadly I think I need to move this reminder back in time a bit for next year. Walmart was packing all of their back to school stock away a couple of days ago - and I imagine Target is probably the same by now.

Dang it! I should have grabbed more glue sticks! lol

[ ] Purchase at least 1 stocking stuffer this week

[ ] Make one batch of frozen cookie dough

[ ] Make at least one extra freezer meal

[ ] Buy items from non-perishable grocery list/items for food drives

[ ] Locate/confirm charging cords for cameras; Label if not already labeled.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
One pan of lasagna in freezer!

Have filling ready for a batch of Veggie Jumbo Shells - shells are cooked and are cooling - will fill them later and end up with two dinners worth of those in the freezer too.

Need to pick up garden tomatoes from MILs in order to make a batch of manicotti tomorrow and also want to bring home my share of butternut squash from the garden for blanching and freezing.

I have a great dish planned around that squash for Thanksgiving!

Last but not least, I'll be working on getting a batch of Gingered Carrot Cake Cookie dough in the freezer as well.

Haven't gotten much crafting done this week but hope to get some work in tonight after DS goes to bed!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
HouseElf, I like to read about how you arrange your food for the freezer.

Lucie, I use bins of different colours - freeze items in freezer bags flat first, and 'file' them in the bins. I keep a list of what is in each bin on a clipboard above the freezer and just cross out as I take things upstairs. Find freezing flat saves a lot of space!

In the upstairs freezer we keep frozen juices, veggies and fruit for smoothies, and some baked goods for lunches and snacks.