HGP 2014, week 4 Master Bedroom

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Week Four of the Holiday Grand Plan sees us move into the master bedroom to deep-clean and cut clutter, creating a serene and peaceful refuge for the busy days ahead.

As the season changes, we rout out the closet and organize clothing.

Our holiday prep tasks center on home-made gifts, and we'll begin budgeting "to-buy" items week-by-week.

Ready? Let's get organized with the Holiday Grand Plan!

Cleaning/Organizing Area:
Master Bedroom

Master Bedroom and Closets
Master Bedroom checklist

Holiday Prep
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
  • Make list of any table and bathroom linens that need replacing before the holidays, and pick up a few each week.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I will be honest friends, my bedroom is a mess! It often becomes the dumping zone for things to go up to the attic, out to donate, and everything in between.

Not serene or a peaceful refuge!

Lots of work to-do this week :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Week 4 goodness the time is flying.
My bedroom thankfully is not too bad. DH went through his wardrobe last weekend and gave it a huge clean out. Mind you the garbage bags are still sitting in the family room ready to go to the charity bin.

Would like to set up a wrapping station in the little study area that is off my bedroom. It is a great place because I can leave things in there and close the door if needed and my gift closet is in the same area.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
My main focus in the bedroom will be switching out our wardrobes to the cooler weather items. We have drawers for storage under our master bed and all the cold weather stuff is in there right now...so will flip flop everything this week...

I got a batch of cookie dough in freezer and have two small pans of manicotti in the fridge waiting for their turn in the freezer. Our apartment freezer is so small that I've been freezing things one pan a time, transferring to bags that can be stacked and then taking a few things over to MIL's freezer...

Need to get back on track with crafting on gifts - plan to do so tonight!!!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I should get one day at home that I can concentrate this week and do the Living Room I didn't get to.

And I will do the bedroom over the weekend as DH is taking DD to our parents for the weekend. I am staying here to rest and get a break - doing the bedroom will help the de-stressing as it will get rid of clutter and make a peaceful place to sleep again.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
My things to do
Wash curtains. Dust dolls on head of bed & on my dresser. Would love to invest in a curio cabinet but have no room for one. I am going to put some in my mother's room with the collection she gave me years ago. Just to spruce up "G'ma's room". I have some as little as salt & pepper shakers. To put in a small cabinet on the dresser in that room.
I want to get floors shampoo ed this week as dd has a slow week & will b home.with alot this week. So that gives me more time.

Good luck this week...

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Well, I tackled the personal part of my HGP last night - I took time out to relax, ring my Mom, and watch a tv programme I had missed recently. So that was good.

I have updated my spreadsheets (budget, gifts, regular household budget etc).

DH HGP'd the car on Sunday - professional valet could not have done better!! (I should row with him more often if that's the result!! Hmm, maybe not really....).

I have plenty to keep me busy tomorrow, as I tackle the living room. I am going to start at the same door as usual (kitchen) but move clockwise this time around so that the bookcase and paperwork pile are LAST to be tackled instead of first. As that is such a big job in itself it could easily sidetrack me for the whole day! But I need to tackle the spiders in nooks and crannies all around the room first. It's been a bad summer for spiders, with loads more appearing and the weather is so mild they are continuing to hang around far too long!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Have a batch of freezer spaghetti sauce bubbling on the stove...almost ready to cool down so I can bag it and freeze it for busy nights during the coming season.

It was a great way to use up all the tomatoes from the garden this year - this recipe called for 16 cups tomatoes! Used fresh green peppers from the garden in the sauce too and MIL dehydrated and ground a good deal of the basil we grew so I was able to use that as well. Yum!

What is crazy is that 16 cups tomatoes is a small, small fraction of what we got/are getting out of the garden still!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
So far so good!

Would love to replace my duvet and shams - but there is nothing wrong with the ones I have lol I just do not like them 'much' ;)

Have requested a list of items for DH to work on, his honey to-do list is almost as long as mine now!

Beautiful weather here to air out the house!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Yesterday, I DID the living room. As in, got all the way round doing most stuff, right into skirting boards and everything. Loads of dust sucked up and spiders webs demolished. Windows now sparkle. Air is freshened. Old electronics are going to the storage unit (such as the old VCR that we haven't played in over 7 years, a bunch of VCR tapes, and DD's old vetch unit that she hasn't used in about 2-3 years as its way too young for her).

I didn't completely empty and clean the drinks cabinet, or move that to get completely into the corners and under it (but I got under most of it as its on legs, and around the edges too). And I didn't empty the bookcase, or wash the ornaments on it, but I did dust fairly well and tidied it up, and got rid of some old papers (about 2 bags only). And I didn't wash the curtains as they are ok.

But I am happy with what I did considering the lack of time and the state of the room to start with. And if I get time, I will get back into both areas that still need attention in later weeks. I might even do the drinks cabinet over the weekend.

But first, I will be tackling the master bedroom. It needs some work alright. I've already done some sorting of my clothes, and put away some seasonal clothes, but the cooler weather has been slow to get started so lots of my summer things are still needed yet. I really need to tackle my dressing table though. And do a thorough vacuuming behind all the furniture. So those are highest on my list.

I also did put away a few things for goodwill, and got well started on buying baking supplies (brown sugar and dried fruit were both on good offers this week). I may, if I find a spare hour, put together a batch of mincemeat over the weekend to start to mature - more for gifts than eating (as I like mine matured for a year if I can, for nice mince pies!!).

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Something that helped me along during the day, apart from seeing the results and enjoying the warm autumn air coming through, was having Merry Christmas Radio playing on my iPad, which always has a great mix of unusual festive music - old favourites in different ways, or things I've never heard before. So I could sing along to some, and just enjoy others. But generally felt uplifted by them all.

And then, when the dust was pretty much gone, I burned some lemon, sweet orange, and an energy mix I have, in my oil burner to clear the air and freshen it up. So that also helped me feel better!!

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan