HGP 2014 week 6, Kids' Room Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Will Santa be visiting your house this year? Time to sort out the short stuff!

This week, we focus on kids' rooms for deep-cleaning, decluttering and organizing so that there's room to spare for holiday gifts.

Our holiday prep assignments include assembling freezer meals, working on hand-crafted gifts, and continuing to buy gifts and holiday supplies.

Ready? Let's get organized with the Holiday Grand Plan!

Cleaning/Organizing Area:

Kids Rooms/Play Area
Kids Room Checklist

Holiday Prep:
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
  • Check smoke detectors and clean them, change batteries if needed.
  • Make "goody basket" for guest bath, from samples found in abundance in stores right now.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
My boys are older now, 22-19-16, but still very much kids at heart (as their father is).

My boys rooms are slowly becoming their responsibility - however, the deep clean stuff is still my domain... with their reluctant assistance. :):clothes:

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
We tore into babies room Saturday just out of the blue. Lol so that's out of the way. Sm gonna finish up master bdrm this week as its always my hideaway. Lol so that's my focus this week with everythi ng else going on.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Well, it is looking more and more like we'll be moving in about a month, so my plans are to go through all the toys in the front room and wean out the ones we need to donate.

The whole apartment will get a deep cleaning once we're moved out - so I'm going to continue to focus on holiday prep elements of HGP as much as I can with everything else going on.

I boiled one whole chicken today and will cool then shred meat - the majority of which will be shredded and put into bags for the freezer to jumpstart meals. I have another whole chicken in the crockpot with which I'll do the same.

Some of the meat I'll hold back for the two freezer meals I plan to make tomorrow. Creamy Chicken Taquitos and some Southwest Wontons - although those are more of an appetizer.

I have a few other freezer meals planned for this week as well.

I'm thinking that with packing for the move, my days for freezer cooking, making cookie dough ahead, etc. are numbered. So is my time for crafting gifts :( Will continue to do what I can and accept the rest!

Things like setting up gift wrapping supplies and/or wrapping gifts will have to wait for right now, dang it!

Just feeling very overwhelmed! We had to take DS out of daycare a couple weeks ago due to behavior issues. We have the first of several tests lined up this week to confirm whether he is on the autism scale or what. The doctors aren't sure what is wrong - they even had us do a MRI of his brain to see if he had a tumor. That came back negative, thank goodness!

So right now I am working from home and trying to find/interview part time nannies so I can get back to work at least part of the week.

NOT the best timing when I need to take off work soon for moving! Deep breaths, count to ten...whew!!! And now dive back in!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I am working on calming the mind, making a new plan, and hoping to tackle the master bath and master bedroom this week. Back sliding the past couple of weeks.

I have 1 thing to order when DH agrees (couldn't until this week, but he may want a more generic option), and I'm slowly making my way through the gift lists.

And I am working on emptying out the freezer, so that I can then refill it with useful things and festive delights and family meals.