HGP 2014 week 7, Guest Room Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Guest rooms ready for holiday guests? They will be, after we tackle them during Week Seven of the Holiday Grand Plan: Guest Room Week!

This week, we deep-clean, organize and prepare for overnight guests.

In holiday prep, we keep plugging away on gifts, whether to-make or to-buy. Decor alert: Halloween is coming!

Ready? Let's get organized with Guest Room Week in the Holiday Grand Plan!

Cleaning/Organizing Area:

Guest Room / Bath
Guest Room checklist

Holiday Prep:
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.

Decorate for Halloween:

If you decorate mainly with a fall harvest look, then a few Halloween things can make it for Halloween. After October, replace the Halloween decorations with Thanksgiving things for a minimum of work.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
We do not have a guest room - our teenagers may protest the use of their rooms :)

This weekend is our Thanksgiving in Canada - so our home is decorated for the harvest celebration, pumpkins - scarecrows - cornstalks and haybale.

We will decorate next weekend for Halloween.

Plan is to work on fall garden prep and preparing for the colder season (although our weather looks very warm this week!). With a revisit to previous weeks areas to maintain what has so far been accomplished!

Overall going well, emptied our food drive box this week for Thanksgiving food drives at the boys school, have purchased all the ingredients for holiday baking, and signed up for a 'knitting bee' next weekend to work on holiday homemade gifts.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I cannot do it this week, but in 2 weeks time I get my guest room back for good, I think!

The u pair told me on Monday, after talking to the agency the previous Wednesday, that she was having problems and wanted to go to another family. But had not told me that she had problems before then, despite me asking, since the problems in the very first week that were sorted. So after 5 weeks, when dd became really attached to this girl (more than recent ones, possibly the best bond in her eyes!), we had to look for someone new. And it was the night before DH flew away for almost 2 weeks! But I talked to an older lady locally who does collections for afterschool club in a local crèche and used to collect DD, who will try out the mornings (supervise while dd finishes getting dressed, breakfast and out to school) and DD will go to the afterschool club in school 5 days for the full afternoon (currently only 3 days until 5pm).

But while it puts me under extra pressure time wise, I get my spare room back and we don't have anyone living with us anymore! So that will be a huge stess reduction!

This week, I intend to work on the kitchen, as there is a job being done on it on Friday. And some work on master bedroom too that I skipped.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
No guest room here-they are all fully occupied! So my focus is on getting Boo!Bash8 prep done. I need to go back over our master suite and work on the laundry room. It's a mess. I have lots to do!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My guest room is not too bad at the moment. We are not anticipating guests over the holidays but I will work on it just in case. I do not think it will take too long to get it in order.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Bought a couple stocking stuffers already this week.

Got some more freezer meals and cookie dough done too.

Will review my list and post back with my other to-do's for this week :)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Ordered a few more gifts on AlliExpress yesterday.

No cooking for Christmas done yet... will get to that in November.

Upstairs office - guest room... got the old sewing machine and its table out of there. There are a few things I want to do but dh said he would paint it... still waiting...

If I have some time this weekend I want to continue my decluttering journey and I might start adressing some Christmas cards and do some wrapping.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I have picked up a present for 1 DSis (a lovely butterfly brooch) and decided on one for an Aunt (Neil Diamond's new album about to be released).

I started writing party invites this morning, and promised postal addresses for my siblings to my Aunt last night so I will type those up over the weekend and mail them to her.