HGP 2014 week 9, Pantry and Closets Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Week Nine at the Holiday Grand Plan, Pantry Week, finds us still in the kitchen.

This week, we focus on food storage, the pantry and any additional closets. Taking time to declutter, deep-clean and organize these storage areas will pay off when holiday baking begins.

Holiday prep chores this week see us begin to address Christmas cards, continue to work on holiday gifts, and start thinking about Thanksgiving dinner.

Ready? Let's get organized with Pantry Week in the Holiday Grand Plan!

Cleaning/Organizing Area:

Pantry / Additional Closets
Pantry / Closets checklist

Holiday Prep:
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
  • Start addressing Christmas cards and writing Christmas letter.
  • Find family photo suitable for inclusion with Christmas card.
  • Involve the whole family. Do not seal cards yet, keep them in a box in alphabetical order, as you think of things that you want to say to them pull out the card and add a note.
  • Send invitations for Thanksgiving.
  • Prepare for special needs-extra beds, babies?
  • Buy extra batteries (check gifts).
  • Order turkey.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Moving along!

So happy we are still in the kitchen this week - the heart of our home usually has a lot going on - there is always someone in there looking for a snack or eating (with three boys)

Friday sees Halloween quickly approaching, caramel apples to prep for the day before, and a 'spooky' bat wing dinner :)

As Canadian, our holiday dinner and other Thanksgiving planning is behind us for this year.

Special needs planning, we also include my boys needs in this planning - as winter is coming and with it potential power outages, school bus cancellations and poor travel conditions to pick up needed items (such as medication/ insulin and extra gluten free snacks for blood sugar needs)

Happy Week 9!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I have done a lot of work on the kitchen and pantry in the past 2 weeks, but I still have a few cupboards to sort. And I want to do a good dusting on the whole house.

I fly to Brussels today for a meeting tomorrow, so I have a couple of packs of cards with me for on the plane and if I am bored in the hotel tonight.

I need to check my lists again, also on the plane. I bought a couple of books for dd and one for DNiece in the airport, and I checked prices for another trip in 2 weeks that I will possibly buy a couple of makeup items for DSis.

Right now, I am drinking a Starbucks before boarding, I had forgotten how bad airport coffee can be, even SB's!

Dd is decorating for Halloween at home with DH, and I have started thinking about a turkey breast for Thanksgiving dinner here. (It has to be something I can cook after work as we don't get the day off in Ireland, but I feel I should pay some attention to the Special days of the place of my birth). We did see pictures over the weekend from my parents recent trip to Canada, including DBro presiding over carving his first ever turkey that he was responsible for cooking and serving!! As their visit coincided with Canadian TG.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
What is up with airport coffee? You think the amount they serve it would at least be good! :)

Wishing you a safe flight! One year we did a turkey breast for Thanksgiving - must say it was a lot easier, and turned out great.

Closets are going well, we have pulled out a lot of summer/warm weather clothes and shoes, making sure there are no spiders hiding in boots ;)

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
Pantry done... entry closet done. Now have to finish up in spare room closet. Which holds all my mothers' things.. got to get ut out.. have too...
Good luck everyone.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Apartment pantry cleaned out and reorganized.

2 pans of lasagna added to freezer meal stash this past week
1 batch of PW Twice Baked Potatoes as well

Have a batch of Chunky Chocolate Gobs cookie dough chilling in fridge now - will get that in freezer later today.

Still not sure exactly when we are moving. Lots of things in boxes around here. Very difficult to keep to normal HGP tasks. Haven't touched crafting in weeks, gift wrap supplies are packed - not that I would have room to store wrapped packages at the moment - sigh.

Ah well, doing what I can. :) You guys are all making great progress!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Returned from the airport at 6 this morning - and realized that packing makes a mess! Today's task is going through the old luggage (was a wedding gift 24 years ago) and donating most of it. The old luggage is very heavy and takes up a lot of space!

Put several chicken crockpot meals in the freezer this morning (Shoyu Chicken, Orange Chicken, Chicken Cacciatore and Buffalo Chicken) and