HGP-Packing the pantry

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Anyone have tips on filling the pantry? Either for the holidays or year round.
I read someone did the +1 method. Buying a can of peaches? Buy one more. Add one more of each can to your cart.

I know if I'm lucky enough to find chocolate chips on clearance I buy plenty of extra. Or kisses at the end of a holiday.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Oh I also want to get more flavoring I have a few (vanilla, raspberry ..) but there are so many more out there

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
For the holidays I try to stock up on crackers, nuts, olives.
So, if anyone stops by unexpectedly, you can put something snacky out. It's not much but it's better than feeling like you have to run to the store.

Also, I make a lot of spinach dip so I always try to have the dry ingredients and cans of water chestnuts ready to go. I have had to search for that Knorr's vegetable soup mix before and that was a pain. Now, I grab a few packs at a time.

Also like to keep soups, a couple of packs of ramen around. To me, these are "In case of emergency." Because I don't really care too much for canned soups. But- as we know- there are some nights that we are just dog tired and heating up a can of something or making ramen is as good as it's going to get. :)

Shannon- I've never heard of the buy +1 before- that is a good tip.

Annie

Last edited:

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Annie can the dip be frozen? If so how long will it keep? I have fallen in love with Spinach & Artichoke dip. I had it for the first time last year at this restaurant in DC called Maggiano's. I would love to have this on hand for impromtu entertaining.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Aggy- I don't know how well it would freeze. It does have mayonaisse and sour cream. Not sure how those would freeze.

But, everytime I make it, it's a hit!

Maybe during the holidays make a batch and keep it on hand and if need be, bring it to work.

The recipe I use is on the back of the Knorr's Vegetable soup mix pack.
If I have to bring it somewhere in the afternoon or evening, I make it in the morning so the flavors have time to blend. Also- squeeze, squeeze, squeeze, the spinach. So much water comes out. Can make your dip runny if your spinach is watery. I use a frozen pack of spinach- defrosted.

Also- I serve mine in a hallowed out round loaf of Hawaiin bread. The spinach dip with the sweet bread- very good!

Annie

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
For me the keys to the pantry around the holidays are:

1. Keep it organized so you can see what you have. If you are really organized, go the extra step of keeping a list that you can take with you when you grocery shop so if something is on sale or catches your eye you can quickly see if you need it or not because too much of a good thing can be a bad thing.
2. Have an idea about quick snack things for unexpected guests (like Annie does) and put those items in a basket on a top shelf so they are not consumed before their time
3. Have a general idea about your meal plan for holiday time and stock up on staples with the plan in mind.

Other general pantry things I use year round include:
1. Rotate your pantry items. When you get home from the grocery, move the new things to the back and keep the older things up front.
2. I use a lot of storage containers so when I pour a new box of anything in I tear off the tab that has the name of the item and the expiration date and drop it in the container. (I'm so weird about expired food!)
3. I keep my canned vegetables alphabetized so I can quickly scan and see what I need more of.
4. If I find a really good sale on something that we use a lot, I do stock up on it, BUT I try not to go overboard because really, who wants to eat 25 boxes of stove top stuffing before they all expire?

Happy pantry feeding!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Having my menu planned out, gives me the opportunity to check my pantry and make sure I have the spices and basics I need for the recipes.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Kim- GREAT suggestion about putting the newer items in the back!!

Another tip: A pantry inventory list.

Annie

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Great tips!

I try to keep a running inventory of what food we have in the house - both in pantry, kitchen cupboards and the freezers, etc. I usually update the Word doc I have by sitting down with my grocery receipts after a shopping trip.

To stock up the pantry, I try to watch for the sale/coupon deals on certain holiday items - like crackers, olives, French Fried onions, cream cheese, etc.

A lot of the things we use in holiday meals, party appetizers, all start to go on sale and/or have coupons in the fall.

I think it was last year, or maybe the year before, that there was an OUTSTANDING deal on Philadelphia cream cheese in late October and I got at least 10 blocks. Their exp date was Jan 1st so I was able to use them all through the holiday season. Just made sure to keep them at the back of the fridge where it was the coldest.

Often though, I can only get so many items with a coupon/sale deal because I typically do not go the extra mile to get a bunch of extra coupons (ordering online, etc.)

So I end up with 2-4 of an item at the reduced price, which is much more manageable for me.

I like the buy 1 extra rule too! I've been trying to do that with certain canned veggies we eat a lot. Even with sales AND coupons I can still get those cheaper at Aldi, so I always try to put a few extra in the cart.

Aldi is a GREAT resource for canned goods, pie filling, they even have the jars of artichoke hearts in water or oil.

I'm craving Artichoke Dip now! The classic recipe is easy peasy and the ingredients have a decent shelf life, so you can whip it together and through in the oven if unexpected guests arrive.

1 Jar Artichoke Hearts, drained and chopped
1 cup Mayo (full fat is going to taste the best)
1 cup Parmesan cheese (the grated stuff you shake out of the plastic can is fine)

Mix and bake at 350 degrees until hot. The recipe is easy to double. Also, the bigger the dish you spread it in before baking, the thinner the layer of dip and the quicker it cooks.

Long shelf life items to go with the dip are assorted crackers or just plain tortilla chips.

Ah, man! I'm gonna have to make this soon!!!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
ok, so this made me think... how about a list of things that can be used when you have guests that can be kept on hand in the pantry, ex:

- tostitos
- salsa
- crackers
- artichoke hearts
- Knorr's soup
- Olives
- Cans of smoked oysters
-

... please add on

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
* Smoked Salmon
* Pickles- Different varieties
* Pepporcinis
* Marinated veggies- carrots, cauliflower. This is sometimes sold as "Hot Mix"
* Jarred Cherry Peppers
* Summer Sausage, pepperoni, dried salami or other meats
* Dried bread sticks

Can whip up a nice, tasty, gourmet feel appetizer platter rather quickly with all this nice stuff we are listing!

Won't our drop in guests be shocked by how together we have!!
Yes, we sure do!!

We are MHHers- here us roar!

Annie

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
When someone is ill or just out of surgery, I make a meal for the family. It is always the same thing: Pasta shells with meat sauce, some parm cheese, a loaf of garlic bread, sometimes salad makings.

I need to stock up on: jars of pasta sauce, boxes of shells, jars of parm cheese, and the containers the pasta goes in (I always tell the family to keep the container). Also some packs of hamburger in the freezer. Can also keep the garlic bread in the freezer.

Then, when I hear a family is in need, I go home and whip it together.
Easy peasy.

Annie