HGP Week 11: November 10-16, 2013

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Garage/Storage Week

By Cynthia Ewer, Author of Complete Idiot's Guide to Getting Organized

Week Eleven, Garage/Storage Week, at the Holiday Grand Plan gets us into garage and storage areas.

The waning days of Autumn are a good time to rout out household storage areas, so we're ready to access extra tables, chairs and seasonal decorations. Cooler--but not yet cold--weather eases the job, and we'll feel good knowing that storage areas are clean and prepared for winter cold.

In holiday prep, we look ahead to the Thanksgiving meal, and see to the family's holiday clothing.

Ready? Let's get organized with Garage Week in the Holiday Grand Plan!

Deep Cleaning/Organizing Area:

Garage / Storage

Garage / Storage checklist

Holiday Prep:

• Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Buy 1/8th of TO BUY gifts. Save all receipts, note return policy before buying. Ask for gift boxes.
  • Wrap and label packages. If needing to ship, get some shipping boxes now and store packages in them.
  • Work at least 1 hour a day on homemade gifts.
  • Review and revise menus and other plans.
  • Plan table setting
  • Plan centerpiece, make as much as possible now (or order it from florist).
  • Reserve any items needed to be borrowed or rented.
  • Get everyone's holiday clothes purchased

Last edited:

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
Wow week 11!

No Thanksgiving prep needed here, leaves time for me to address the storage areas. The garage is DH domain, his man space void of everything accept eventually my car :)

In holiday prep, cards and gift tags are on my to-do list.

My freezer 'meal' will be simply to roast squash for crockpot soups, and to make some pumpkin purée to add to the freezer. Cuts down on the days meal prep!

DH brought home a shipping box to mail our package out west to his family. My goal is to include some baked goods this year! So I plan on making the batches of goodies this week and freezing. Will wrap up the day of shipping out!

Homemade gifts are going well! DH is going to be so surprised with his book :)

Pantry stocks are going well, purchased some baby food to add on top of our usual addition for the food drive.

Monday is Remembrance Day, have gathered together our clothes for the service and put funds aside for the boys to purchase poppies at school.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Finally got a working oven! so next weekend is cooking & baking! I did get my Italian sausages cooked and cut in slices & frozen for recipes. Chili has been made to be frozen too. starting on my freezer list :)
Working on some more handmade gifts but most are finished. Cards are ready to be adressed, stamps bought.
Decluttering is an on-going process. Next weekend will try to get ds to bring some Chrismtas stuff down from the attic.
To do : figure out Christmas clothes and keep on shopping!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
I got some proper cleaning done!!

On Saturday, the grocery order arrived a few minutes earlier than planned slot, at a time when the house was calm and quiet. So I took the opportunity while DH ironed (and watched a war movie) and DD made another Hama bead decoration (for DH to iron - and watched "The Santa Clause"!) to empty and wash out the fridge before I put in the fresh foods. I had taken a fair amount of older things out in recent weeks, so there were only a couple of more things to throw out.

I had done a large grocery order (DH raised his eyebrows at the number of bags) - but as someone else was carting it in the trolley and truck, I was happy to do that. As I needed things like baking powder (I ran out - I NEVER run out!), toilet rolls, cleaning things and lots of fruit and veg (had run very low), and the baking specials are on so I got 7 packs of dried fruit (I needed some raisings, and lots of sultanas - apart from wanting to do a batch of minced meat for Christmas, DD eats sultanas all year but I try to get most of them when they are lower priced for Christmas baking). I should only need a very small shop this weekend in person. (And as we are travelling again the following weekend, I plan on setting up another internet delivery for the following Monday, so that I don't have to fit it in around the travel plans, so I will stock up on other things then too).

I also managed to clean the windows in my bedroom and the sitting room, and dust both rooms properly as well. (And put away my clothes so the chair is clear again).

I talked with my sister yesterday afternoon - she will be flying home in 2 weeks, but not home for Christmas so we are going to both try to get our shopping done by then, so that she can leave things in our parents house for the rest of the family, and I at least will try to get the presents for her family (her DP and 2 DCs) to fill the empty space on her return. She wasn't going to book a bag but will now (lots cheaper than postage for us all). I need to let the rest of the siblings know that plan (in case they want to do the same - especially the other 2 DSis's who live in this country - 1 DBro won't be home, and the other lives in that DSis's country so it's cheaper for him).

I bought the Ruby Ruby rose for my DParent's 40th wedding anniversary from their "Half Dozen" (on 27th December) as it might be tricky to get later and we found it in a garden centre when out for lunch on Saturday. I bought DD's advent calendar (I already have chocolate figures for the re-useable calendar my DMum made her years ago, but she wanted a "shop" one this year so I got a Christmas nativity story one, just pictures and text behind the windows, and I have some activities for the re-usable one for some days too). I found a few nice "heirloom" decorations to put into my collection for future "Bride's Boxes", as they can be tricky to find and I expect another couple of weddings in the family in the next year or 2. And I spotted a great t-shirt for 1 DBro for his stocking this morning - I just have to go back when the shop is open!

So I am feeling a bit more organized.

And others are starting to ask too, so I was able to give MIL and BIL ideas for DD, while still being able to plan nice things for us (BIL was going to bring DD to the panto with his DCs as their present to her, but we are going already to a night showing, and I really wanted to bring her the first time - but I was able to suggest something that she'll really love instead).

I am not planning a huge amount for the rest of this week. Continuing to use up food from the freezer, and I want to clear the tops of the cupboards in the kitchen (food stored there has gone chaotic). And do a full wipe down of the kitchen counters. (And decide what sort of mini-chopper or food processor I want to replace the one that killed itself 10 days ago). But as DH is away, I do not want to overload myself. And I have a busy work week, with a good few evening things on the following 2 weeks for work, so I need to conserve my energies when I can. (Including making sure I make my salads - I managed 3 last week, and another today, and 3 mornings of yoghurt/berries breakfast last week too and again today).

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
:snowman: awesome!

Lucie so glad you have a working oven again.
WingedOne, doing great :) That feeling of being organized is the best!

Working on the Christmas cards for the exchange this Saturday morning, looking forward to a few hours of holiday happiness.

Storage, seems I always make more of a mess as I start to organize and 'clean-up' each area! Thinning out our holiday decor and seasonal items a little more as I go! Looking for any boxes/items I labeled with a date that remained unopened and unused since last year at this time! Little useable real estate in my attic, and items not being used have to go!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Luludou, that is great to get a working oven again. Enjoy filling the freezer!!

HouseElf, you are doing great at getting lots of little but important jobs sorted. And I really like the idea of getting rid of everything not used for a year!

Between yesterday and today, I got another 3 presents, raw materials for DD to finish her presents for her cousins (more foam letter stickers), and think I have found what to get for another person (tricky person but needs a big present) - just trying to check if she has something similar first before spending.

Now, I need to make myself tackle the cupboard tops tonight....