HGP Week 3: September 15-21, 2013

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
By Cynthia Ewer, Author of Complete Idiot's Guide to Getting Organized

Welcome to Week Three of the Holiday Grand Plan: Entry/Foyer Week!

This week, we tackle deep-cleaning and decluttering our entryway or foyer, to create a welcoming entrance to the home for holiday guests.

Holiday prep chores focus on baking and kitchen as we plan our baked goodies and start stocking up for holiday meals. More printable forms help our Holiday Grand Plan notebooks grow.

Ready? Let's get organized with Entry/Foyer Week at the Holiday Grand Plan!

Cleaning/Organizing Area:
Entry/Foyer

Entry/Foyer checklist

Holiday Prep:
  • Make one batch of Holiday Goodies.
  • Make one extra meal for freezer again labeled HOLIDAY MEAL.
  • Buy two canned food items from Menus (get 2 of each item, one to use and one to donate to food drive).
  • Keep 2 boxes in a pantry area or storage place to put these in so that they are not used in everyday cooking - make sure to label them so that when food drives start your holiday supply stays intact and the food drive gets the food purchased for it.
  • Buy all supplies for homemade gifts. Package each project with directions and other information in zipper food storage bag and place in a basket or box in craft/sewing area.
  • Buy film, camera batteries, blank videotapes. Hide them; write yourself a note.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I am looking forward to this week, as I really do enjoy the cooler weather and the steady march to the holidays.

Our entrance is small, the front entrance (that is rarely used) does have a habit of collecting clutter - so it will be good to get those out of there! Our main 'entrance' is the door off our kitchen/covered porch - and it always needs attention :)

Freezer Meal I put away today was a 'Thai Pesto Chicken'. Ready for the crockpot to finish cooking.

Pumpkin on sale, so I grabbed a bunch - and put away two for the boys food drive they will have the week before Thanksgiving (my eldest son Volunteers at the food bank).

I plan on going to the yarn store this Wednesday to sign up for a class, hoping to create something for DH as a Christmas gift!

My holiday baking this week will be to prepare jars of green tomato mincemeat! A new thing for me! I have an abundance of green tomatoes, and the recipe was suggested by a friend.

I put camera memory card on my master list for holiday photos!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
HE you are doing so great!!

I made extra onion soup and it is in the freezer.

My entry (hallway closets) will be done at a later date when it is time to put the winter coats out and summer vests away.

Bought the wool I need to make a scarf. found a few crafts to make for the nephews & nieces for Christmas.

Won't be doing anything the upcoming weekend as we are going away at camp with some of our friends.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
This week, my list is not as long as previous weeks, as I am away 2 days and know that I want to spend time with DH too before he heads off next weekend. But the entrance hall is pretty decent anyway, and I am not too bad on other preps so far.

Cleaning: Entrance Hall
[] Wash inside windows
[] Dust walls
[] Brush ceiling for cobwebs
[x] Sweep floor
[x] Wash floor with floor wipe (wooden floor so no mopping allowed)
[x] Sort coats by door, including put away summer shower mac
[x] Check lightbulbs upstairs and down
[] Check smoke alarm batteries
[x] Sort first aid boxes and medicine drawer
[x] Throw away expired medicine items
[x] List meds, 1st aid needs
[] Work on sorting papers in living room
[x] wipe tiled walls in bathroom to clear dust
[x] wipe tiled plinth behind toilet for dust

Organising:
[x] Organise framer for Dad retirement gift
[x] Send money to DSis to purchase Dad birthday gift (from all siblings)
[] Organise DSis 1 and DSis3 birthday gifts
[] Organise FIL birthday gift (or DH will)
[x] Organise DMum birthday gift and card
[x] Get rid of 1 bag clutter
[/] Go through items in storage Unit
[x] Pack up DD's too small clothes for DNieces and Nephews
[x] Book my car for service
[] Send school report to Clinic
[x] Pay House Insurance
[x] Write final letter re motor insurance claim
[x] Get nice bottles for infused drinks
[] Bottle rhubarb gin and rhubarb vodka
[x] Make a freezer meal
[x] Continue to empty freezer of old items
[x] Use vouchers for holiday foods to put away
[xx] Buy batteries: LR35, AAA, AA, C
[xxxx] Buy 1 gift
[x] Update master giftlist and budget spreadsheet
[] Buy 1st batch cards
[] Write 10 cards
[] Order copper plant labels
[] Start mince meat
[] Work on crafts: Playroom curtain, bed pouches for DD
[/] Look at options for pantomime/events during Christmas week
[x] Take my 2 day break to relax and unwind
[x] bring home bags from under desk at work (more to bring this week)

That still looks long - but a good few I should accomplish while on my 2 day break (I should get to some nice shops along the way), and some can wait if necessary until later weeks too.

Last edited:

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
My front door opens into my living room so I dont need to work on my entry so, I jumped ahead to my Master bedroom. It is gonna be a 2 week job. But I am plugging along little by little each day :)

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
I actually put some fall decor in my entryway. I'll wait until the beginning of October to bring out the spooky stuff. The entryway is super small and I cleaned it two weeks ago so it is still looking good.

I have holiday meal items to buy on my grocery list for tomorrow. I am in the early stages of planning my baking, which I don't like to do until December. I'm also going to start planning meals better now that summer is over. Not so much to have freezer meals but easy meals to cook on those hectic nights during the holiday season. I really want to use my holiday dishes more this December and not each out so much!

I also have to plan around DH's gig schedule, which is very busy for October already and stuff is being booked all the way to December. We usually just go out and grab a bite since by the time I get home there is no time to cook, if it is a weekday. And then you have the weekends when he has to leave early, like today he left at 5 pm and won't be home until after 11.

I have supplies to make gifts for the past 2 years and haven't done them. I cleaned out my craft closet this summer so I'm hoping I will do a couple of them. The house is in pretty good shape, better than the past 2 years so I should make time to get these fun activities done.

With the camera, I just need to make sure the battery has been charged, and that DS didn't "borrow" it, lol.

I'm really enjoying both plans this year!!

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
I don't have an entryway/foyer. I began in my kitchen with some cabinets. I know it will take me longer than a week & too many years past I've just washed the walls & cabinet fronts & ignoring the inside of the cabinets.
(Let's just say I threw out lots of expired food items as a result.)