Holiday Menu Plans 2023...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I think this will work! But I'm a little worried that icing the cut side of the cake might be a hassle - crumbs in the icing, etc. Has anyone else ever tried it?
I freeze cakes all the time. I cut them and freeze them and then wrap them so we just pull out one as we need it. Never have iced the sides but it would be doable. To keep the crumbs out you might have to lightly frost the sides to seal the crumbs down, let it dry and then frost over that thin layer. I wrap each slice with plastic wrap after it is frozen and take off the plastic wrap as soon as it is out of the freezer.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I'm actually thinking of switching gears this year for Christmas Eve. We usually have Lasagna using my husband's Grandmother's recipe. Everyone loves it and it is special because for one it's hers and also because we don't have it very often.

I'm considering doing lots of appetizers instead. Either way, my family has gluten, dairy. and nut allergies, so any large gathering is a bit tricky. If I let everyone bring something that they can eat to share, it will take the load off of me and be a nice change. We'll see if I break tradition or not...

We also have food allergies in our family. We moved from appetizers only to serving a meal. It was easier in the long run for us. With appetizers, someone had to man the oven for the night and check for allergen information from the guests and from the boxed appetizers. With a meal, we made the food up ahead of time and froze it and then baked before serving. We kept our main meal ingredients allergen free. Rolls were available separately. I put out a tossed salad. The dressing was separate. I put out a quiona salad (gluten free) and cooked green beans.

I broke tradition in 2019 when I stopped hosting Christmas Eve at our house and moved it to a brunch held the Sunday before Christmas Eve. I just wanted to spend time with my own children on Christmas Eve before they headed out the house for good. They were in high school/college then.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Once my triplets were born, I started to make three birthday cakes (flavors of their choice) ahead of time and freeze them. I've done it where I only had time to bake and freeze the cake separately from making and freezing the icing. Then the day of serving the cake, I iced the cake. (However, if using a butter based icing, then be sure to keep it refridgerated. Otherwise, the icing will melt if the room is warm enough. I did that one year. The icing melted and left a glaze on the cake and a mess on the cake plate.)

I have also iced the cakes once cooled, followed by doing a flash freeze and then I wrapped the cakes in Saran Wrap as Deirdre mentioned. Now that they are in college, instead of making three birthday cakes, I make three types of cupcakes and ice them ahead of time. When they come home, we celebrate with cupcakes and they take the rest of them back.

As a result of freezing cakes, it is now expected that all cake will be served cold. ;) :) Even when we did a store bought sheet cake for their high school graduation, we froze the extra and everyone preferred the cake cold rather than room temperature.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My plan? Make a full cake for Thanksgiving. Put icing between the layers as normal. Cut cake in half. Do an icing crumb coat on both halves - all sides - chill briefly - completely ice each half of the cake. Cut side included.
Another option that may be worth trying is to make the cake batter but then make individual muffin sized cakes. You could freeze them iced and bring out a few as needed.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I think this will work! But I'm a little worried that icing the cut side of the cake might be a hassle - crumbs in the icing, etc. Has anyone else ever tried it?
As a party of one, I've found that I use the mini bundt pans more than a regular cake pan. Freeze the extra cakes (ok, ok, it's becaue I love the tunnel of fudge cake and would eat the entire thing if not put out of sight) and do a simple chocolate drizzle once thawed. Would that fly with your son? Or maybe chocolate cupcakes?

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Thank you ALL for all of the excellent information!!!! I feel more confident about trying this now!

I do not have mini bundt pans but I do have LOTS of cupcake/muffin pans - all sizes - so that is something to consider! Great thought @sweetpumkinpye !! I think I might do that during the year when I know there is no chance an entire half a cake is going to get eaten.

What tunnel of fudge do you speak @Lori K ???? This sounds like something I need to know about! LOL

I love the cold cake preference @Holiday_Mom ! I like it that way myself! :) I also absolutely LOVE the idea of hosting a Christmas Brunch! I have always wanted to do that!

I will use the tip on wrapping individual slices @Ahorsesoul ! Because there is always one or two slices left over - well - almost always! {guilty side eye}

Thank you too @Myron's Mom !

You guys are the best! As always!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
What tunnel of fudge do you speak @Lori K ???? This sounds like something I need to know about! LOL
Bundt used to (maybe still do???) sell it in a boxed form. But my aunt found a copycat recipe some time back in the 1970s and I put it in our family recipe book. Will dig it out and share here. It's essentially a chocolate fudge bundt cake that has an inner ring of fudgy goodness that stays moist (almost like it's only partially baked), forming a tunnel through the middle of the cake.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
This thread has reminded me that, although Thanksgiving and Christmas are a bit down the road, Ross Hashannah will be with us on the night of September 15! It’s a fairly traditional menu, same things every year, but very labor intensive since I have to do it all myself.

I guess I can get started on buying the chicken and making the soup as soon as I get home around Labor Day and also see what shopping needs to be done.

Thanksgiving is in Syracuse and Christmas at Dfriends house. I always bring stuff but at least not a whole meal!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mum and I talked about menus yesterday and also double checked what we have already purchased and added what still needs to be purchased to our lists. I think between us we have got most things covered.
We also just touched on trying to be conscientious of over spending, buying things because they look good or are at a good price. We put a lot of thought into our planned menus and don't want to end up with extras that we are then trying to use up.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We had a family dinner for my DS last weekend, and I brought up menu ideas for Christmas eve and of course none of the extended family wanted to discuss that yet. A few years ago, we switched from a big sit-down dinner to a buffet style to make it easier for me since I was doing most of the cooking. To many times extended family still had to finish their shopping on Christmas eve so the kids would be dropped off to our house while they picked up the last-minute gifts which resulted in me doing most of not all the cooking with DH helping where he could. DH and I agreed that things had to change so that's when we switched to buffet, and everyone brings a dish or 2.

Depending on how many guests we have for Christmas Day I may do a prime rib. I usually cook a ham on Christmas Day and a turkey for NY day since I love having turkey sandwiches for lunch when we go back to work but I also miss doing a full turkey dinner on Christmas Day too.

Thanksgiving menu never changes LOL. The only thing that would change is the amount we make of each side dish.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
A few years ago, we switched from a big sit-down dinner to a buffet style to make it easier for me
Our plans have changed over the years too. We get together with DD and DSIL a few weeks before Christmas and that frees up time for them to attend parties etc. They are busier than us. Over the past few years we always seem together for a meal on New Years Day, this is not planned it just seems to happen.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
don't want to end up with extras that we are then trying to use up.
Oh man, I have been there SO many times!!!!
which resulted in me doing most of not all the cooking with DH helping where he could.
:oops: o_O

Over the past few years we always seem together for a meal on New Years Day, this is not planned it just seems to happen.
Those are sometimes the very best get togethers!!!

I am TRYING to finish up my holiday menu planning. Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve & Day and New Years Day are pretty much done.

I've also planned out the Gluten Free friendly menu for our annual dinner with all of DH's brothers and their wives.

And the items I'll be making for our annual appetizer themed Christmas party for our friends. That is a pot luck so I only have to make a few things.

I am sill working on New Years Eve menu and misc. meals that fall into the No One Cares What They Eat zone - which is what I like to call that period that starts about a week before Christmas and lasts until January 2nd! :D

We try to eat healthy things as a rule but there are some recipes that we look forward to indulging in around the holidays. Trying to get all to agree what those are going to be this year so I can buy ahead as needed. We also may have houseguests somewhere in there too - nothing set in stone yet - but it is likely.

I may just have to make some executive decisions and run with it!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Just saw a video on Facebook, but my volume is not working and it was not closed captioned with ingredients, nor was there a recipe attached. So I went searching . . .

It was for a Cinnamon Roll Casserole using a recipe like this, except without nuts -- but I suppose you could nclude them if you like. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/274483/easy-cinnamon-roll-casserole/ But they made it in a Christmas tree shaped baking pan. After it cooked, they inverted it and added a drop of green food coloring to the ready-made icing, then drizzled it and sprinkled with the little red, white, and green cookie sprikles. What a great (and fairly easy) way to begin Christmas morning!

Last edited:

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I just have one meal to plan this year and it will be for our Family Christmas gathering on the New Year's Eve Day.

Having to be gluten free and wanting to prevent cross contamination I decided upon a baked potato bar and 7 layer salad. Toppings will be butter, bacon, cheese, sour cream, chili, bbq beef, salsa, etc. Dessert will be coconut macaroon cookies, flourless peanut butter cookies, rice crispy treats, scotocharoos, no bake cookies (w/ gf oats) and an assortment of candy.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
MissJoDee love the idea of a baked potato bar and very interesting to see the toppings you listed!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I think that the baked potato bar is a fabulous idea. Something to add to my ideas book for later on down the track.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
So, I met DD and DSIL for breakfast this morning and we've set the plan for who is hosting what, and who's making what.

Thanksgiving: They are going to host. I'll bring the green bean casserole (per DSIL's request), and I'll bake a pumpkin pie, and maybe an apple pie with crumble top (in honor of my late DH, whose birthday fell right around Thanksgiving it was his favorite kind of pie). For the pumpkin pie, I'm thinking of topping it like this, since DSIL is a drag racer. I'd substitute a Matchbox or Hot Wheels replica of his car, instead of the truck. Not my pic, found it on FB.

1699217393634.png

Christmas Day: I'll host, early afternoon, and will do brunch-type menu.
Egg casserole or quiche​
Hash brown casserole (aka funeral potatoes), but will do a smaller batch​
Baked french toast or will have my mini waffle maker out with batter prepared​
Assorted meats (ham, bacon, sausage links)​
Holiday breads / rolls​
Fresh fruit​
Juice, coffee, and mixings for mimosa's should anyone want one​
Desserts -- assorted Christmas cookies; perhaps mini cherry-topped cheesecakes or individual pineapple upside down cakes, if my cookie supply is low.​

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
a pumpkin pie, and maybe an apple pie with crumble to
I love the pie topping!

I make an apple butter pumpkin pie with a streusel top....

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Stopped at Aldi on my way home. 12-ounce bags of fresh CRANBERRIES for 99 cents. I grabbed 3 -- one for Thanksgiving and 2 for canning for use over the winter. Yum!!!!

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye