House Warming Favors

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Jessica

Retire Member
Jan 3, 2008
SW Georgia
Hey Everyone! I know exactly where to come when I have an issue.

DH and I are buying our first home (we've been renting) and we are absolutely thrilled, so to show our excitement we are hosting a housewarming party. I would really like to give my guests something that they will cherish, but I just don't know what to do.

Anyone have any ideas? Obviously after moving, I would like to keep it relatively inexpensive if possible. The party will be at the first of April.

TIA!

:lucky:

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
How many people would you invite? Obviously the number of people may limit your options. I would go with something home related.

Are you friends homeowners? A small bedding plant is a great option at that time of year. Even a small spice plant (parsley, oregano, chives) is a good option.

If you are a baker, it wouldn't cost much to give each of your guests some muffins, cookies or mini-loaves like banana bread.

Congrats on your new home!
bunny4

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Congrats on purchasing a home!! If you are hosting the party, wouldn't it be customary for your guests to bring you a gift instead of you giving them one? I've never been to a housewarming party before so I have no clue, but that would make sense to me. LOL Whenever someone I know moves into a new home, the first time we visit I take a small gift of some sort for their house.

mommytotwo

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
Congratulations on your new purchase.

My friend's parents passed out magnets that had measurements on it-Ex.Dash-less than 1/8 tsp, 2 tsp=1 tbsp..... There were two in a set, and they had it in a baggie or something.

We have this hanging on our refrigerator for years now.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
mommytotwo said:
Congratulations on your new purchase.

My friend's parents passed out magnets that had measurements on it-Ex.Dash-less than 1/8 tsp, 2 tsp=1 tbsp..... There were two in a set, and they had it in a baggie or something.

We have this hanging on our refrigerator for years now.

Great idea! You can find a lot of magnets for not a lot of money (or make your own). :)

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Wow! That is exciting.....buying your first house. That is very nice that you want to give your guest a gift. Anytime I have been to a housewarming, I take a gift.

Jessica

Retire Member
Jan 3, 2008
SW Georgia
Thanks for the ideas! I love the magnet idea! A few Christmases ago I made the measurement magnets. They were super easy to make. I could combine those with some cheap measuring spoons or something!

I'm not expecting any gifts, and I thought it might be a nice gesture to have favors. I plan to just set them in a basket by a photo that I am having everyone sign. (we are blowing up a huge pic of the house and having all our guests sign it, then we will frame it and hang it in our house. )

Thanks again for the ideas.

Jessica....I like your idea of giving favors....we bought a home last summer...not our first but a different one. We did not have a house warming but we have had people over a few at a time. I wish I would of thought of your idea sooner.....what we are doing is....we went to this place in Ohio where you make your own wine and go back when it is time to bottle it. You can put your own label on it and say whatever you want. We are putting our name and since we live in Hermitage we have put Hermitage House on it. I can't remember the exact wording but it will be fun to serve it when we have guests. We are going to do some wine instead of Christmas cards for certain friends and family members. Each bottle will cost us $5.75 and that is almost cheaper than some cards.....it is cheaper than a lot of them. Anyway we can't wait to pull out a bottle when we have people over.

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW HOME!!!!

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
What if you gave everyone some "green" homemade household cleaner, vaccum sachets or such.

You could get a case of spray bottles VERY cheap at a janitorial supply place ( or Sam's club?) and the ingredients to make a cleaner are very cheap. You could print up labels on the computer with the recipe. If you didn't want to make them all up yourself you could have all the ingredients and measuring tools and have folks make their own to take home. I have a great recipe for a general household cleaner I could post if you want.

The vaccuum sachets are cheap and easy to make too. I can post a recipe for those too.

Both are "home" related, cheap and something a little different.

Snowbelle27

Santa's Elves
Oct 13, 2007
West Midlands, UK.
Pixiestick, that sounds a great idea!

Please post your recipies.

:shamrock:

mammaduke

Retire Member
Jan 19, 2008
Rochester,NY
Congraduations on buying your new home, may your home to full of love, happiness & good health always. I love the idea of both the magnets & the cleaner. They are both great suggestions.

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
Sorry ladies- with a computer that died and had to be rebuilt and a newborn I missed a few days there!

Here is the recipe for the "green" household cleaner

Alice's Wonder Spray ( this is a trademarked name)
24 oz. spray bottle
3/4 cup white vinegar
1 1/2 tsp borax
24 oz. hot water
2 Tbl. liquid dish soap

Mix vinegar and borax in spray bottle. Fill rest of bottle with very hot tap water. Shake until borax is dissolved. Add dish soap.
*note: borax is an eye irritant and can be harmful if swallowed. Wash hands after handling and keep out of reach of children.

I will post the vacuum recipe later.