How old is old enough for 1st Elf Visit?

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I will just start this by saying, I know, I know, I am probably waaaay ahead here...but I was just curious.

How old were your little ones before you introduced the idea of the elf or elves visiting?

DS will be 22 months this Christmas - probably too soon to really "get" the idea of a visiting elf.

Just wanted to see what others have done! :)

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
your little one may be young to get the whole idea but you can start now if you want. Why not? For now think simple and they can come less frequently. Have them bring a treat, play w/ your DS fav. toy one day. Some time little kids can be scared by the thought of something watching them at night so keep that in mind when you tell the story. Tell her is' a friend of Santa's that visiting but may be naughty and we need to help them be good. Or what ever. Keep is simple for now and you can grow on it each year.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
It's never too early (or too late) for an elf. Take photos so it will be remembered forever.

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
hi,

the 1st year we had elves my middle son was 3 and eldest 5 (youngest wasnt here). they loved it. the following year my youngest was 3months old so didnt no anything of it, last year he was 15months old. he didnt understand much BUT he did notice when they (3 elves) were NOT sat under xmas tree - he would go there and point. he was forever trying to hug them and didnt understand they are not toys!

all in all it was good. i would say go for it. as others have said, start with elf moving from where you leave it to little ones room with a "mini" teddy etc. have it leave a cookie baking kit that little 1 can help mix etc. you DONT need it for the whole of december like alot of us do that have older kids, but maybe 3-4days b4 xmas only. then next year you can add for longer do more etc and i bet you see reactions that your child sort of knows it (if you know what i mean).

i know when i was doing a few clothing alterations other week when eldest 2 where at school, i thought i would be ok with lil man in room. he came over waving at elf and sayiing hello. i had to let him have a cuddle b4 i put her away!!! so now alterations have got to be done after bedtime or when he asleep. lol!

i'm sure everyone on here will help you as much as they can, they are really nice. x

Last edited:

JeniferDwn

MHH Member
Jul 21, 2010
Florence SC
www.jeniferdwn.blogspot.com
my ds was 2 1/2 the first year we had an elf. He loved to help Sissy find the elf each day. Our elves can be held and loved, so he sometimes hid the elf from his sister. He got his own this year at 3 1/2 and he was thrilled to find the elf or see what the elf did or brought. He also was old enough both years to enjoy the advent calendar although at this age all he understood was that there was X amount of days until Santa comes. He didn't understand what it actually meant.