How to configure Amazon to NOT spoil the surprise

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I love Amazon, but sometimes they drive me crazy. Every year I have at least one gift that is spoiled by those darn gift receipts. Ex: "Thank you for ordering your Diamond Tennis Bracelet". (This happened to someone I know. The bracelet had been intended as an Anniversary surprise).

The other day I ordered a surprise item for DH for Christmas. Then when I went to find the purchase receipt email and delete it so he wouldn't see it (knowing I'd have to do it AGAIN when it shipped) I found that the email had already been read on another device!! :-O !!!

DOH!! I had forgotten that DH had gotten a SMART PHONE this year and all the emails forward to it!! What a pain! Now the surprise was spoiled.

DH and I spent ALL morning getting this figured out so that our entire family can use our Amazon Prime Account and yet not spoil any surprises. I don't know WHY they don't make this more clear on the website. Really it should be on their homepage at Christmas-time. Their tech support in India (or wherever) was very slow on the uptake of what we wanted to do (which was re-route the gift receipts to another address). Apparently Amazon does not allow receipts to be sent anywhere but to the SINGLE email attached to the account.

In the end, here is how is solved if you have an Amazon Prime account: You can ADD an account. As long at that account belongs to someone with the same household address. That person then has the same privileges as the main Amazon Prime account but the purchase receipts and shipping receipts will go to the new account (in this case it is my own personal email and not the family email which everyone reads).

The set-up for it can be found under Settings in Amazon. Look for "Share Your Amazon Prime Benefits"

Hope this saves someone the headache I went through. Also, don't forget to say "YES" when they ask if the order is a Gift. If it is marked YES, they will send it in a plain box and not in the manufacturer's box. At least they are supposed to.

I'm going to test all this later today or tomorrow and will post as to where the emails go. I have successfully set up the separate account and that went very smoothly and easily. (Now I can surf that site all I want and the kids won't even see the history.)

Happy Shopping!

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Very nice to know. TFS

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Wished ...

Oh thanks. I do wish I had read this sooner. LOL We have the Prime. I am under DH with my own email. But I didn't notice the shipping address for the Christmas book I got him. Yep, it shipped to his work! Ack! Yep, he opened it up and knew he didn't order it and called Amazon about it!!!!!!!! LOL When they said my name as the person who initiated the order ... he went ... "Ooops!" He then called me and well ... I said Merry Christmas, I don't have to wrap it now!