HP- Week 34

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
This month in The Happiness Project we are working on:Contemplate the Heavens. Corresponding reading pgs: 194-220.
We have worked on:Keeping a Gratitude Journal, Read Memoirs of Catastrophe, Imitate a Spirtual Master, Keep a One Sentence Journal, and this last week we add: Make or Update a Will. Corresponding reading pgs. 200-201.

While Gretchen was spending time reading memoirs of catastrophes and contemplating life and death, she realized that she and her husband needed to update their wills.

Even though a morbid task, she says that a feeling of extreme love for her husband overcame her as they were sitting in the lawyers office going through their affairs. It made her appreciate that he was with her taking responsibility of their things and he was there- alive, strong and healthy.

This task made her realize that she and her husband needed to exchange information that the other routinely took care of. For ex: She realized her DH had no idea where she kept their tax documents, birth certificates, and medical information on their daughters.

Now, they go over this stuff annually and call it "Be Prepared Day."

They see it as a day of expressing family responsibility.

This Week's Resolution: Make or Update a will.

This Week's Thought: It is horrible to deal with cold logistics at a time of shock and grief.

Share your thoughts, journey here this week.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
As a parent I know this a important thing to do. Sadly it's not something DH and I have done. At min. I need to get a abdution journal going and put some thoughts of our wishes on paper. It's not legal but better than nothing.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
We have a will but it needs to be updated. It was done before we had kids and DD is now 20. We talked about it last week because SIL had hers updated. I will put it on my to-do list or we will forget it again.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
DH has a will through the military because he has to with deployments and combat zones and all that. I don't have one at all. His is basically who his beneficiary is for different aspects of pay owed him should he be killed in action. We have nothing about our possessions or the kids or anything like that. When he gets back we have lots to discuss sometime about all of this and we need to figure out a guardian for the kids should anything happen to both of us.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
In some states it is legal to do a will yourself with the paperwork online. I think then you have to file it with the court.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Remember too, to include what your wishes are if you are in a medical situation such as being on life support.

Before my surgery they gave me the paperwork to do this. I was so freaked out by everything that it was one thing I didn't do.

I talked to my sister about it after it was all over and she said, "Filling out the paperwork would not have changed any outcome."

I know she is right. And I would hate to put my family in the situation to decide for me.

My will is pretty basic becuase it's just me but I do have it set up for my parents to get any $$$ I have. And, I have told one friend that she is to coordinate getting Cashy and Chloe good, loving homes.

Annie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
One thing to remember about a will, any information on what to do while in the hospital or your funeral arrangements need to be in another document. Wills are sometimes not read until after a funeral. So put this information separate.

If you are doing your request for what the hospital should do if you are seriously ill or having surgery this info should be given to the hospital and with your medical records or carry it in your purse or wallet. I believe this is sometimes called a Living Will. Correct me if I'm wrong with this term.

Living Will forms can be asked for in most Medical facilities. Most social workers there can answer any questions.

Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Ahorsesoul- Good point about keeping those documents seperate.

Annie

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
DH and I did this when my first son was born. I will just add that you should discuss your wishes with the rest of your family (or anyone impacted) also. This is especially important when it involves children's care...DH and I decided to assign primary custody to my brother and his wife (with their approval) but made HIS brother trustee. They all agreed to this arrangement and it ensures that they have to continue to communicate and interact for the boys' sake if we are both gone.

As for medical decisions, when I told my parents my wishes they said they would have a hard time following through, so if DH is not around to decide, it will be my brother.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
We started talking about wills today at work. Seems like most people don't have them.

So, good Resolution for the week!

I updated who is to arrange for Cashy and Chloe to get good homes.

Annie