HP- Week 36

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
It is week 36 of The Happiness Project. This month our theme is: Pursue a Passion. Corresponding reading pgs: 221-234

Last week we asked: What is your Passion? This week our Resolution is: Make Time. Corresponding reading pages: 228-230.

Gretchen's passion was reading and she wanted to make time for it.

The first question that came to her when carving out time for reading was: How much T.V. am I watching?

Gretchen discussed this with her husband and they realized they didn't watch very much T.V. and it was a time that they enjoyed together after their kids were in bed.

Next she decided to stop reading any book that she wasn't enjoying. She used to find pride in finishing every book. She gave up on this which allowed her to read more books that she actually liked.

She also realized that she would stay away from certain topics. For ex: Any book that dealt with the theme of unjust accusation.

This week's Resolution: Make time for your passion.

This week's Thought: Give yourself permession to carve out some time to pursue your passion. Your wants and needs are as important as anyone elses.

Share your thoughts, journey here this week.

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Starting a card-making class tomorrow :) I like crafting so this should be fun

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Annie - this is such a timely topic for me! I have been moaning that I have no time to read for pleasure (plenty to read for work!) This is the one thing that I really enjoy that's just for me.

The idea that you don't have to finish every book you start is a foreign one to me...my dad always said you should finish them all because you never know how it will turn out. I can see both points. I may have to think about this some more. I have a bad habit of starting 3 books at the same time...so that when one starts to drag, I can pick up something else, but I always go back and finish eventually.

I used to read before bed, but I found that I was staying up too late ...to finish "one more chapter". I may have to reinstitute nighttime reading and just be more ruthless when it comes to bedtime...

As for types of books that I tend to avoid...HEA and most "chick-lit". I find them too predictable to really enjoy them. JMHO.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I sometimes have a hard time not finishing a book will do it. To solved the "never know how it ends" I will skim,jumping pages and get to the end sooner than later.

I do enjoy reading and don't do it enought. I find i busy myself with other things instead of reading. I should try to find time to do it instead of tv, pc, games

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have started scrapbooking again. Last week I did one whole album while at the scrap store. I only have one page left to finish which is waiting for DS since I need a photo of him at McDonald's. lol

I have "Scrapbooking" in RED letters on one day a week to scrap. I'll try not to schedule anything on those days. I noticed since it's on the calendar I'm already thinking of what should be my next project. If it's not on the calendar I put it out of my mind.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
great idea to put it on the calendar so you are sure to make time for it.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
My "No Technology Nights" are designed to do the things I say I always want to do but don't-

* Reading
* Cooking for pleasure (trying a new recipe)
* Listening to music

I would like to add crafting in there too. Want to learn how to knit this winter.

My No technology nights are hit and miss- sometimes those are the times I'm using to catch up on household chores, errands, workouts. I need to define more what I want out of that chunk of time.

I do know that I watch too many TV shows. The Bravo ones kill me. Sometimes when I am watching them I think, "Why am I watching this? I'd much rather be reading." So then I DVR them- which is another issue because the DVR is chock full.

Annie

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Diedra good job on the scrapbooking What is HEA? Gretchen is the one who taught me it's ok not to finish a book. I just returned a library ebook a bit ago. I just couldn't get into it.

Since I have a reading partner who loves to read as much as I do, it's lots of fun to read here. However, with life we still have trouble at times scheduling reading time. Sometimes tho like this past Saturday we "just do it". We enjoyed a lovely afternoon of quiet, reading time.

We're looking forward to Fall temps & baking...

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I do miss having a reading partner. My friend Walt was mine but he died many years ago and I haven't found anyone who was as good. He was a whole book club wrapped up in one package. lol