It's a Small World Christmas July 17th-23rd Give Away

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I loved this link on the Magical Holiday Home blog - http://www.whychristmas.com/cultures/ - and I clicked right over to the UK to see what sounded familiar.

My Mum was from England and my Dad was stationed in northern Europe with the U.S. Army for many years so we spent a lot of Christmases in England, or Christmases at home with our English family members, or just Christmases with lots of English trappings.

There's something about Christmas in England. It's just as festive (and in the stores, just as commercial as the USA), but whether I'm in someone's house or looking at pictures in a magazine, it seems somewhat...muted/blurred? I'm not sure if that's the word I'm looking for, maybe softer would be a better description. Everything seems less glittery, less brash, an English Christmas has a real olde worlde feeling to it. It could be the roaring fire in the background, the muted designs on wrapping paper, the abundance of real holly, ivy and mistletoe, or maybe it's just my outlook.

Our last Christmas in England was in 2001 - my parents rented a holiday cottage (three bedroom house really to accommodate the seven of us) in the picturesque Yorkshire village of Kettlewell. There was a sprinkling of snow on the ground and it was just magical. On the first night we were there, there was a knock on the door and we found carolers, complete with a Dickensian lantern - so quaint. They had heard that there was an American family spending Christmas in the village and they wanted to welcome us. How lovely is that? Mum invited them in for sherry and mince pies and they invited us to Christmas Eve service at the village church.

Mum had laid in all of our favorite trappings of an English Christmas - in addition to the mince pies and sherry, there were roasted potatoes with the turkey for Christmas Day, Christmas crackers, plum pudding, Christmas cake, all of favorite English biscuits, meringues, and a Cadbury's Chocolate Selection Box for Sophia. We spent the entire time in front of the fire, drinking endless cups of tea and had the best Christmas ever. My parents are gone now, and my sister and brother-in-law have added two sons to the family group, so we are planning a Kettlewell Christmas 15th Anniversary celebration in 2016. I love to plan and I've pretty much taken over my Mum's role when it comes to family events so I've got my lists started already!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I agree PamelaG. Christmas in England and Europe is muted or less glittery than in the USA. It more calm, relaxing, enjoyable and geared toward a family affair instead of all about business.

pixiestick

Santa's Elves
Nov 20, 2007
I agree about Christmas in Europe. I would describe it as having more "feeling", more ties to the past.

I lived in Germany for 4 years as a teenager and actually spent the Christmas Holiday in several different countries.

I loved going to the Kris Kringle markets outside in winter clip clopping on the cobblestones.

I loved drinking hot mulled wine in the restaraunts and buying candies that the local shop owner packed in little paper cones.

I loved getting "Kinder Egg" chocolates and Ritter Sport chocolates in my stocking.

On the flip side- I was a Peace Corps volunteer in a remote village in Guinea, West Africa. I spent 2 Christmases alone in my mostly Muslim/animistic village. I gave to the handicapped in my village with the explanation that this is when people where I was from helped those that needed it. I listened in my mud hut at night on my short wave radio to the BBC and sang Christmas carols along with the radio. I went out in the dark of night and looked at the stars and could almost feel what it might have been like the night so long ago for Mary and Joseph. It was meaningful, surreal and memory filled because of how I felt- not what I did or got.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I went out in the dark of night and looked at the stars and could almost feel what it might have been like the night so long ago for Mary and Joseph.

What an experience! That truly is magical.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Sorry for the BIG delay.....first illness and now we are starting school ...busy busy crazy busy....

THE WINNER IS TEACHERMOMOF2

PLEASE PM ME a working email....but it will be a week or so before I get you your prize!!! An amazon gift certificate!!