January MAgic Elves Topic: Packing the Elves

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
January Magic Elves topic: Elf Storage:

***How do your elves return to Santa? Do they just disappear Christmas Eve night? Do they leave a goodbye note or gift?

1. How do you pack away your elves and elf stuff? I have had more than one year where I forgot where I put the little rascals.

2. What do you do with ideas you found and then never got around to doing this year?

3. Do you have plans for any elf crafts or ideas to do between now and Christmas 2014?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Our elves are put away in the gift closet for next year. When the kids were younger they left a note when they left. Now the kids are older and not here much so I just put them away. this year they brought 4 christmas dvds and only did a few things. However ds had a new girlfriend and she loved it so maybe next year I should put more effort in the elf mischief. I know my brother had a ball with his elves! they did so much mischief!!

yummy-mummy-amy

Retire Member
Dec 8, 2008
cambs, UK
my elves have to be put inn the same place as the milk n cookies for santa, as they go when santa delivers the presents on xmas eve.

xmas eve morning the elves haven't moved far or caused mischief but left "the xmas eve bag/box" which usually includes bubble bath, new pjs, a dvd, sweets or popcorn, a small craft kit (so i can get on with whatever), a story for bedtime and b4 we had a chimney santas magic door key.

as for putting them away i invested in plastic storage boxes that were blue in colour so not see through and they live on the wardrobe - there was a spare that we put hubby's old rc cars n bits in so when the kids asked what was in them we just said Daddy's stuff from his mums house (she dumped all his belongings in my front garden the day we got back from honeymoon - long story but basically hates me!) and they never asked since!!! as well as the elves being in the boxes all "things" for them are as well - clothes i have bought (school uniforms, army outfits, firemen outfits, doctor n nurse etc) plus the sleigh, and any bits i pic up throughout the year llike dvds, books, and such.

i can safely say that i was so glad they were in easily recognisable boxes when we moved house as a lady on 1 of uk sites moved about the same time and hers were only in cardboard box and she couldnt find them, they turned up mid dec.

about 2yrs ago i sat and went through the internet, google searching, looking at blogs and any elf site i could find and sat and added all mischief to a database (it puts them in alphabetical order. and as i find more i add them to it, so i have quite alot of ideas. in total it probably took me about 3days to do it all (half hr here and there etc).

as far as i am aware they will only be back at easter b4 xmas, but they have made other visits - the royal wedding we had a garden party for and they were found in the gazebo in garden in "posh clothes" not what they wear in dec. and they usually come back at easter wearing rabbit ears!

Last edited:

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
My elves also wait with Santa's snack so they can catch a ride back to the North Pole. They get packed away in a bag with the Christmas decorations - although I know which bag it is so I don't accidently pull them out when the tree is going up.

So far, they haven't made any appearances during the year, so haven't needed easy access. That might change in the future though :)

2014 is going to be tough year. So far, in three years, I haven't repeated anything. Now that the girls are getting older (they will be almost 5 and 7 next Christmas) the elves can get a (little) bit adventurous with food and craft items. That will give me something new to work with at least :)

As for ideas, I have a handwritten list that I keep in my Christmas file. I also have a secret board on Pinterest that I pin ideas that I find there.

JeniferDwn

MHH Member
Jul 21, 2010
Florence SC
www.jeniferdwn.blogspot.com
Saquilla how do you have a secret board?!?!? I need that!!! My 11 yr old is on interest too and can see what I pin. That would be wonderful!!
Our elves live in a big storage bin in the top of my closet. The first yr we had them did got so upset over the little elf leaving that we had to have "her little sister" done and spend the year with us. There was a note allowing the elf to stay u til new years. After that they were allowed to stay until New Years. Now they stay until I remember to get up and hide them one night after the kids go to bed. They kind of just disappear
I keep a Christmas notebook with all kinds of lists and ideas and all other Christmas things. Otherwise I forget everything!!
I am addicted to elves so throughout the year, I make elf related items like ornaments or dolls. I watch eBay for inexpensive elf items. Our elves also visit on valentines, st pats day ( they bring a box of lucky charms cereal, turn the milk green and bring green candy) , Easter, mothers/father's day, vacation, birthdays, 1 st day of school, special occasions, Halloween, thanksgiving, etc. They don't do magic, just visit.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
The very first year I put the elves away with my wrapping stuff. We eventually got new elves and those stay out all year long. I take them and hide them a few days before December 1st and then they show up with a note from Santa. That is when their magic activates. On Christmas Eve they lose their magic but the kids are allowed to keep them in their rooms and play with them or whatever. Most of the time they end up in their closets or floating around the house. Normally I do a note when their magic leaves but this year I didn't and no one seemed to care or notice.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
the first time they left a note, this year the boys were not all that interested in general in them so they unceremoniously get put into the Christmas closet w/ all the other decorations till next year.

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
Saquilla how do you have a secret board?!?!? I need that!!! My 11 yr old is on interest too and can see what I pin. That would be wonderful!!

Hi Dawn!

Pinterest allowed me to create two secret boards. So I use one of those for elf ideas.

Maybe if you create a new board it will appear as an option?

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
On Pinterest....click the plus button....select create a new board and when it comes up it allows you to set it to secret. I tried looking in the edit part of the boards to see if you could change one to secret that you have already created but I didn't see any setting there.