July & August - MAINTAINING

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Thank Goodness! Just in time! We now have a big chunk of time....... for "maintaining"! With the incredibly high temperatures in much of the northern hemisphere -- this break is VERY welcome!

We CAN do maintaining. A BIG part of maintaining is to stop ourselves from bringing MORE stuff into our home! NOT because "stuff" is bad..... but because the space we have is LIMITED!

So.... we need to find ways to entertain ourselves.... and make ourselves happy..... in ways other than shopping! Perhaps.... bringing home stacks of wonderful books.... from the library! (And then... reading and returning those books!) Finding as much joy in taking bags of stuff OUT of our homes.... as we once took joy in bringing bags of stuff INTO our homes.

What do you think?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
It is so hot right now... bare maintenance ...

I want to reread books I already have and put them in a box to give away. Box is half full right now but I've got so many books I'm sure I can fill it with those I like less.

Too hot to do much but sitting & writing lists (gifts, chritmas menu) does not make us sweat & keeps us working towards our goal of a stress-free Christmas.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
SparkleNana - you always know JUST what we all need to hear! Maintenance is about all I can deal with right now. As for not bringing stuff into my home...I'm working on that!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Thank you, Colleen in Pa! And luludou -- writing lists (and dreams/thoughts/goals....) sounds elegant!

I am trying to change the way I look at "maintaining"..... trying to think of it as creating a nice environment for myself"....... and for others to enjoy too, of course. I' trying to look at the "maintaining work" as "retting ready..... for my day, my work..... whatever....'

In other words.... that maintaining is "getting the stage ready......."" setting the scene for living my life........" "getting the shop ready for business....." (I don't live in a shop.... but you know what I mean!)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
And so..... how are you doing with your "maintaining"?

I am trying, folks! I try to get as much as possible done early in the morning (being a "morning person".) Some days are better than others..... as far as accomplishing things!!! So... is there a "bare minimum" that you try tog get done.... no matter what else happens? (I guess those things would be the three daily Routines that Flylady.com talks about. A small "Morning Routine". A late afternoon/early evening routine (encompassing dinner)> And a small "Before Bed Routine".)

And.... decluttering is PART of maintaining. Getting rid of junk mail. Taking the trash and recycling out. Getting old food out of the refrigerator. (My day-long "refrigerator cleaning marathon" is what happens when you don't pay attention to that as maintenance.)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
My bare-minimum is vaccum all 1st floor once a week & wash bathrooms. Of course can't let laundry pile up either. Take out trash as soon as bag is full. Eat. Sleep.

I try to dust every week but since it's so hot once every 2 weeks will do. Once a week pay bills.

Fridge.. now that is a problem! always too full. Have to try and do that more often.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
My bare minimum is clean laundry, bathrooms and kitchen...and I try to vacuum upstairs and down every other day (a necessity with a 15 month old running around - he's like a HUMAN vacuum cleaner...he picks up every little crumb and piece of lint! ick!) My achilles heel is paper...between DH and I we have piles on every flat surface that is above 2ft high (see reference to 15 mo old above!)

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
My "maintaining" has slipped today! It was 09 degrees and really humid. It felt TERRIBLE == whenever you had to step outside. It really slowed me down!

I would like to think that I will wake up bright and early tomorrow.... and spiff things up BEFORE it gets hot. (Which might happen as early as 8:00am.) Maybe can find an exciting, action-packed movie tonight -- and rev myself up!!!!! And...... maybe not!